Check in for return flight on a MR?

Old Nov 3, 2011, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Question Check in for return flight on a MR?

Hello Everyone!

I'm flying SFO-IAH-FLL-IAH-SFO next week with just a couple hours in FLL.

In my experience, I can check in for the O/B SFO-IAH-FLL within 24 hours but not for the FLL-IAH-SFO until I get to the airport where an agent has to do it for me manually. (Whenever I try to check in, it would say I'm already checked in since it would pull up SFO-IAH-FLL and not the FLL-IAH-SFO segments)

Anyone here been successful in checking in for your return flight without having to wait to be at the airport on your O/B flight?

Thanks!
Old Nov 4, 2011, 4:20 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
I tend to use the automatic check in. It has yet to fail me.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by trm2
I tend to use the automatic check in. It has yet to fail me.
I was going to say the same thing, why not use the auto check in option on the return. Not sure if the airport kiosk's give this option, but checking in on CO.com or on the CO mobile app most certainly will, and IME, will have this checked by default.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 6:31 am

Programs: UA PP (47% MM), HH Gold, National Exec Elite
Auto check in is fine. I always use the PDA site for my check in and boarding passes on my mileage runs.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Does co.com really not have this functionality?

I've been able to checkin for the return on same-day trips on DL, AS, and UA. Their websites support it.

I suppose this may be yet another thing we lose when we move to CO systems.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by channa

I've been able to checkin for the return on same-day trips on DL, AS, and UA. Their websites support it.

CO does have it. It's an option when you do the initial check-in.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up Thanks!

Originally Posted by emcampbe
I was going to say the same thing, why not use the auto check in option on the return. Not sure if the airport kiosk's give this option, but checking in on CO.com or on the CO mobile app most certainly will, and IME, will have this checked by default.
Thanks Everyone for the replies!

I did see this option when I checked in using the Continental App...it was default as checked and same thing goes for the BP delivery method....I didn't do anything to uncheck it etc so I'm assuming they have me listed for the automatic return check in? (This was the final screen on the app after you have checked in and obtained your BP there was no "continue" or confirm button etc)

Never used this before....we'll see if it works! Worse comes to worse, I'll just check in when I get to the airport as usual.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 8:15 am

Auto checkin works like a charm for most itineraries.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 11:07 am

Programs: UA Silv; Hyatt Plat, Priority Club, SPG G, HHonors G, Marriott S; Hertz 5*; AA, WN, Pan Am!
The problem with Auto-Check-in is if you're not happy with your seat assignment and are waiting for the T-24 seats to open up.

Historically I've been able to check in manually for all my flights within 24 hours, even the return ones (for example a day trip both out and back, if within 24 hours of the return). Haven't done that lately, so it might have changed.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by MBM3
Auto checkin works like a charm for most itineraries.
I'm not talking about auto-checkin, I'm talking about being able to checkin for the return before the outbound has been flown and get the full options (seat assignments, change flights, etc.).

That's important functionality for day trips.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 12:04 pm

Programs: CO Platinum / BA Gold
I'm not talking about auto-checkin, I'm talking about being able to checkin for the return before the outbound has been flown
I got offered auto-checkin on an itinerary where I will still be flying two more outbound legs when it gets to T-24 for the return flight ^

Just hope it works, as my only hope of upgrade for the return trip is a battlefield one so time-of-checkin matters for once.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up Auto check in worked like a charm!

Well it worked...exactly at T-24hrs got an email with a link to my mobile BP. Granted the UG still didn't clear with both R and RN space available....sigh

Note: since I'm flying through IAH to/from FLL in the email the link for my IAH-SFO BP pulls up my IAH-FLL BP...no biggie...must be just a bug since I show up on the UG waitlist for IAH-SFO
Old Nov 5, 2011, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
The auto check-in usually works, but not always.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.