Wiki Posts
Search

Credit on nonrefundable tickets

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2011, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA plat, HH, Marriott Platinum,
Credit on nonrefundable tickets

Just had an experience with the CO elite desk. I cancelled my RT from EWR to India and back because I was unable to get the upgrade cleared. I used the ticket proceeds and applied it to a one way (got the other way on miles) tckt and I was credited with $350. However instead of giving me a credit of $100 ($250 change fee), they made me pay $250 and will issue a credit voucher for $350.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 7:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by kalagapp
Just had an experience with the CO elite desk. I cancelled my RT from EWR to India and back because I was unable to get the upgrade cleared. I used the ticket proceeds and applied it to a one way (got the other way on miles) tckt and I was credited with $350. However instead of giving me a credit of $100 ($250 change fee), they made me pay $250 and will issue a credit voucher for $350.
That's how CO and most carriers have done this for quite some time.

In your case it doesn't matter because you used the credit immediately. But, if you had cancelled and wanted to hold the credit for a period of time, you would be out the $250 cash.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 7:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Often1

In your case it doesn't matter because you used the credit immediately. But, if you had cancelled and wanted to hold the credit for a period of time, you would be out the $250 cash.
You don't pay the change fee until you rebook. Assuming you intend to fly on the airline in the future there is no real difference between this and letting you use the original credit to pay the change fee.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Yep, this is the CO "new money" scam.

More for them.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 6:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by mduell
Yep, this is the CO "new money" scam.

More for them.
It brings CO into alignment with most of the industry. I think that we are talking about "non-refundable" fares here, so I have zero problem with charging the fee rather than washing it out of the credit. With full Y/B fares running 9-10x the bottom fare buckets, the question becomes why anybody would pay Y/B if the cheaper fare were "almost as good." Without Y/B (and premium cabin), CO would fail.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 7:23 am
Suspended

It brings CO into alignment with most of the industry. I think that we are talking about "non-refundable" fares here, so I have zero problem with charging the fee rather than washing it out of the credit. With full Y/B fares running 9-10x the bottom fare buckets, the question becomes why anybody would pay Y/B if the cheaper fare were "almost as good." Without Y/B (and premium cabin), CO would fail.
To be clear - CO has been doing this for years. UA allowed you to pay the fee from the credit.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Who else does it this way?

UA, AA, and DL all deduct the fee from the ticket.

That's probably the reason the OP had an issue with it -- because most carriers do not do it this way.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
It's out of line with the industry: CO is the largest US based airline to implement this customer-hostile policy. AA/DL/UA all take it out of the refund, leaving the customer with less cash out of pocket.

We're not talking about non-refundable fares, since they're non-refundable. We're talking about fares that are refundable with a cancellation fee.

Buying Y/B/premium is unrelated.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 11:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mduell
It's out of line with the industry: CO is the largest US based airline to implement this customer-hostile policy. AA/DL/UA all take it out of the refund, leaving the customer with less cash out of pocket.

We're not talking about non-refundable fares, since they're non-refundable. We're talking about fares that are refundable with a cancellation fee.

Buying Y/B/premium is unrelated.
No, they are non-refundable fares. You get credit equalling the full value of the ticket if you cancel - not cash - and then if you want to use that full amount of credit you pay a change - not cancellation - fee.

That credit is not the same as a refund at all. It can only be used for a ticket for that person, and there are intl / domestic restrictions too depending on the original ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.