Search

How to u/g using SWU?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2011, 2:03 pm
V9
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Marriott Pltm, Hyatt Diamond, spg Pltm
How to u/g using SWU?

I searched/still searching the forum. Find no clue. At co.com, there is a ticker for u/g using miles, and I guess it's not the same as the (old) SWU's can u/g any revenue fare. And co.com does not have the "expert" mode that let you looking at F9, C9, Y9, B9,...up to NC0, XY0,...

So how do you check the availability of the u/g space?

Thanks
Old Oct 14, 2011, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold 1 Presidence Circle
Originally Posted by V9
I searched/still searching the forum. Find no clue. At co.com, there is a ticker for u/g using miles, and I guess it's not the same as the (old) SWU's can u/g any revenue fare. And co.com does not have the "expert" mode that let you looking at F9, C9, Y9, B9,...up to NC0, XY0,...

So how do you check the availability of the u/g space?

Thanks
Since they changed the method in the last few month, this is how I used SWU for u/g. On the main page of CO.com, enter your search and click on Advanced Search.

At the bottom of Advanced Search page, check OnePass Reward Upgrade box (you are actually not using reward for your upgrade, just finding out which flights are upgradable.

Note those flight, go back to the main page and purchase you flight. Once purchased, you can go through and upgrade your flight using SWU. It might clear immediately or put you on waitlist.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 2:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by V9
CO absolutely DOES have the Expert Mode option. You can just click on the "Fare Class" text in the search results to see the buckets. There is also a GreaseMonkey script if you are so inclined which significantly increases the functionality of said mode.

You're looking for R or RN inventory to redeem the SWU. If that is available then it will clear at the time of request. If it is not then it won't and you can waitlist.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I don't think you can do it when you book. After your reservation is confirmed, go into it, and choose the upgrade option at the top. Redeeming SWUs should be an option. Click on it, and the SWU will be applied.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:19 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Ex-Plat
What if you don't clear the u/g list?

I am just looking to use my first of the new SWU's that are fare class restricted. I have bought a fare class that is upgradable, but the upgrade has not cleared. There is a chance, perhaps a good one, that I wind up sitting in the back with my higher fare class ticket than was necessary in the same coach seat as someone next to me who did not buy the lottery ticket, right? Is earning these SWU's meant to lure us into then paying more for tickets, just in the hope that we will be able to use the SWU's? I don't really get how that's smart - seems that they should refund the difference between the ticket you bought and the lowest fare that was available at time of purchase if you don't clear the list.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 9:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by kinneyrob
I am just looking to use my first of the new SWU's that are fare class restricted. I have bought a fare class that is upgradable, but the upgrade has not cleared. There is a chance, perhaps a good one, that I wind up sitting in the back with my higher fare class ticket than was necessary in the same coach seat as someone next to me who did not buy the lottery ticket, right? Is earning these SWU's meant to lure us into then paying more for tickets, just in the hope that we will be able to use the SWU's? I don't really get how that's smart - seems that they should refund the difference between the ticket you bought and the lowest fare that was available at time of purchase if you don't clear the list.
I agree 100%. However, if you have a 75% clearance rate using your SWU's, you will probably still come out ahead, vs. the mileage + co-pay upgrades. The cheapest upgradeable fares are usually a few hundred dollars higher than the cheapest fares, which would require miles + about $500 co-pay in each direction. Still, psychologically, if you don't clear in even one direction, you feel ripped off. At least with miles + co-pay you get your miles & co-pay back if you don't clear.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
What is the best way to apply CO SWUs to UA long-haul flights? Can you book the UA flights on co.com and then apply the SWUs to the itinerary online or do you have to call the elite phone line to have them applied?
Old Oct 21, 2011, 11:00 pm
G23

Originally Posted by Time traveller
What is the best way to apply CO SWUs to UA long-haul flights? Can you book the UA flights on co.com and then apply the SWUs to the itinerary online or do you have to call the elite phone line to have them applied?
You will need to call for this

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.