FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How to u/g using SWU?
View Single Post
Old Oct 21, 2011, 9:17 am
SS255

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by kinneyrob
I am just looking to use my first of the new SWU's that are fare class restricted. I have bought a fare class that is upgradable, but the upgrade has not cleared. There is a chance, perhaps a good one, that I wind up sitting in the back with my higher fare class ticket than was necessary in the same coach seat as someone next to me who did not buy the lottery ticket, right? Is earning these SWU's meant to lure us into then paying more for tickets, just in the hope that we will be able to use the SWU's? I don't really get how that's smart - seems that they should refund the difference between the ticket you bought and the lowest fare that was available at time of purchase if you don't clear the list.
I agree 100%. However, if you have a 75% clearance rate using your SWU's, you will probably still come out ahead, vs. the mileage + co-pay upgrades. The cheapest upgradeable fares are usually a few hundred dollars higher than the cheapest fares, which would require miles + about $500 co-pay in each direction. Still, psychologically, if you don't clear in even one direction, you feel ripped off. At least with miles + co-pay you get your miles & co-pay back if you don't clear.