Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is fare class PN ?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2011, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat; UA GS (via MM companion); SPG
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Be grateful one cleared at booking. Babysit your other one, either with an Expert Flyer alert (if you subscribe), or checking R space daily (like me). No guarantee even if R space comes available that CO.com will automatically process your waitlisted UG (versus what you may be used to with UA).
Yeah doing that. Just set up another for "R" as well as the "RN".

Just was wondering if waitlist SHOULD read "RN" since I am elite, instead of "R", and if that has the potential to screw me over if this goes down to the wire...
Old Oct 19, 2011, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
R: ?
RN: First/Business - Upgrade using Miles/SWU/CR1/Vouchers/EUA
Originally Posted by sbm12
Upgrade Awards
RN - Elite Upgrade to Business/Domestic F
R - Non-Elite Upgrade to Business/Domestic F
I am currently within the UDU window for a CO metal flight, which shows R2 RN3. I called CO to ask what gives and was told that R/RN are for upgrades with miles/instruments and that the UDU bucket is not visible to us on the website. I have no way to know if this is accurate, but it is consistent with what I'm seeing.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by as219
I am currently within the UDU window for a CO metal flight, which shows R2 RN3. I called CO to ask what gives and was told that R/RN are for upgrades with miles/instruments and that the UDU bucket is not visible to us on the website. I have no way to know if this is accurate, but it is consistent with what I'm seeing.
EUA also comes out of R/RN, you just never know when the hamster wheel will turn unfortunately. Only once every 24 hours up until T-24.

No more dynamic waitlisting going forward - joy
Old Oct 20, 2011, 7:39 am

EUA also comes out of R/RN, you just never know when the hamster wheel will turn unfortunately. Only once every 24 hours up until T-24.

No more dynamic waitlisting going forward - joy
Not sure what you mean by this. I've now been within my UDU window for 48 hours, with R and RN > 0 for the flights in question, and I'm still in Y. I understand sweeps happen only once per 24 hours, but if R/RN really were straightforward UDU buckets, then I would be in F, right?
Old Oct 20, 2011, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Not sure what you mean by this. I've now been within my UDU window for 48 hours, with R and RN > 0 for the flights in question, and I'm still in Y. I understand sweeps happen only once per 24 hours, but if R/RN really were straightforward UDU buckets, then I would be in F, right?
Another possibility - did the total F count decrease in the past 24 hours? Any chance a PPlat or a Plat on a higher fare got upgraded ahead of you?

From what I know about the mysterious CO EUA system - just because there is positive R space, that doesn't mean that EUA will run (this is more likely the case). I know it's confusing - seems like CO mainly does upgrades at the T-24 mark now (yes, I know, YMMV). Allows them to try and get elites to either use miles to snatch up the seats, or to do TOD / cash buy-ups to F.

This is what we have to look forward to full-time starting next year by the way...
Old Oct 20, 2011, 7:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The inventory in those buckets isn't necessarily >0 at the sweep time point just because it is right now. :-:
Old Oct 20, 2011, 8:22 am

Another possibility - did the total F count decrease in the past 24 hours? Any chance a PPlat or a Plat on a higher fare got upgraded ahead of you?
No. Of the two flights in question, F stayed the same with one, increased by 1 in the other.

From what I know about the mysterious CO EUA system - just because there is positive R space, that doesn't mean that EUA will run (this is more likely the case). I know it's confusing - seems like CO mainly does upgrades at the T-24 mark now (yes, I know, YMMV). Allows them to try and get elites to either use miles to snatch up the seats, or to do TOD / cash buy-ups to F.
Well, if this is true, then the upgrade windows are entirely meaningless. But to reiterate, it's not what the CO rep said. She told me R/RN are for upgades supported with miles/money/instruments only, not for EUA. She specifically said the EUA bucket is (a) separate and (b) hidden to pax, that there's no way to see this information on the website. She said from where she sat, R/RN was > 0 for my flights, meaning she could confirm me right away if I was willing to pay for it, but the "hidden" EUA bucket was zero. I have no independent information to confirm or deny this is true.

The inventory in those buckets isn't necessarily >0 at the sweep time point just because it is right now. :-:
In theory you're right, but in my case the flights in question were R3/RN3 and R1/RN1 when I went to sleep last night and R4/RN4 and R1/RN1 this morning. You can't be suggesting that they zeroed these out just before the sweep, then restored them immediately after the sweep, are you?

BTW, it's not that I feel "entitled" to the ugpade or anything, I'm just trying to understand what seems like a needlessly complex system.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BTW, it's not that I feel "entitled" to the ugpade or anything, I'm just trying to understand what seems like a needlessly complex system.
It's simple (unfortunately) - 1) there are multiple upgrade buckets (so they can ramp up the YBM ones and decrease the R/RN ones as they see fit), 2) there is no dynamic waitlisting a la UA, so the "upgrade window" is a bit of a farce as you noted, and 3) upgrades now seem to come at or inside T-24, which fosters more cash buy-ups.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 8:54 am

You can't be suggesting that they zeroed these out just before the sweep, then restored them immediately after the sweep, are you?
Yes.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 9:05 am

Yes.
If that's true, all I can say is wow.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
CO1489 tonight is F0 PN8 Y7.

You can buy a Y-up and it will offer an upgrade although no seat assignment is available.

I guess they're willing to oversell First for YBM-uppers.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 2:11 pm

Programs: SPG plt, United Plt, HHonors diamond , club carlson gold,
PN and elite miles

I recently did a buy up fare and was put in PN class. Does this does get 150% elite miles?
Old Nov 1, 2011, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by rgamay
I recently did a buy up fare and was put in PN class. Does this does get 150% elite miles?
If you did it in advance of the day of travel and the fare difference you paid was to a B fare then probably. If not then probably not.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 5:33 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, United 1K,
Is anyone having trouble getting United credit for PN flights taken and booked on CO?

I purchased a full fare B class economy ticket on the Continental website for a flight in early October. When I booked, it asked me if I wanted a free upgrade to first, which I of course took. That evidently moved me into PN class. Now United is denying me flight credit, with the letter stating "The booking class for the flight is not eligible for flight credit."

Any advice?
Old Nov 7, 2011, 8:32 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, United 1K,
Originally Posted by DAS02135
Is anyone having trouble getting United credit for PN flights taken and booked on CO?

Any advice?
Anyone have strategies for working with United? The person on the phone simply kept stating, "The booking class shows as ineligible for mileage."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.