Wiki Posts
Search

reward travel from IAH to SEA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:20 am
Original Poster

reward travel from IAH to SEA

Hello,

I am trying to book reward travel from IAH to SEA for me and my wife on Continental as i have 57k points to use and continental credit card.

But for the dates i try it is not giving any saver pass economy tickets.Dep:Sep 2nd and Arrive : Sep 6th.

Is there any other way I can try to book them for my dates as I can use 50k to book round trip for both of us as I am able to see them available on Sep 3rd,Sep 4th,Sep 7th.

Would I have better chance if i call agent to book ( i am willing to pay 25$ per ticket via telebooking also)

Thanks
Uday
Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by udaykiran82
Hello,

I am trying to book reward travel from IAH to SEA for me and my wife on Continental as i have 57k points to use and continental credit card.

But for the dates i try it is not giving any saver pass economy tickets.Dep:Sep 2nd and Arrive : Sep 6th.

Is there any other way I can try to book them for my dates as I can use 50k to book round trip for both of us as I am able to see them available on Sep 3rd,Sep 4th,Sep 7th.

Would I have better chance if i call agent to book ( i am willing to pay 25$ per ticket via telebooking also)

Thanks
Uday
Well, you're trying to book on a Friday before Labor Day and come back on the Tuesday, like most of America. That's why Sep 3 and 4th and the 7th are open.

You can try to book on September 3rd, and then call in to waitlist for a flight on the 2nd. Same for the return.

But you have to hope for two seats to open. That will be tough on a holiday weekend.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks Aacharya.It is true due to the busy weekend it is impossible to get tickets.I even tried calling continental to see if agents have some way to pull it up but no luck there also.

just trying to see if i missed any trick in the book which my fellow FT'ers would have used
Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Thanks Aacharya.It is true due to the busy weekend it is impossible to get tickets.I even tried calling continental to see if agents have some way to pull it up but no luck there also.

just trying to see if i missed any trick in the book which my fellow FT'ers would have used
Others would advise subscribing to ExpertFlyer, who would ping you when award seats on UA or CO show up.

Or booking a little earlier than a month in advance.

If I had to fly that timeframe on reward miles, I'd look at other airports within driving distance (AUS, PDX, etc), or at flights very late/early the day before/after.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Best fare on those dates is $317 RT all in (US out with 1 connection; UA-coded CO-operated nonstop redeye back).

For that money, you may want to consider paying for a ticket vs. using miles, and saving the miles for a more expensive trip.

Alternatively, the $317 breakdown is essentially $201 out, $116 back. So you could blow the 50K miles on F tickets one way (which are available) for the outbound, then spend $116/pp on the return. Again, not the best use of miles, but it minimizes your cash out of pocket, and actually earns you some miles on the return.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Thanks channa and aacharya.I was thinking something along those lines but just curious if we have the miles + cash per ticket option(I am not able to see it)
Old Aug 2, 2011, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Thanks channa and aacharya.I was thinking something along those lines but just curious if we have the miles + cash per ticket option(I am not able to see it)
It's not miles plus cash. It's using reward miles one way, and paying for another ticket the other.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 10:47 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Miles & Cash books into the same bucket as a free ticket.. so if there are no free tix available you won't be able to do Miles+Cash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.