Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Why Get PC Membership if PPlus Card is Cheaper?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2011, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA

I never understood this, but why would someone pay $450 (or more even) for a PC membership, if the Presidential Plus Card has a $395 annual fee, making it cheaper, and that includes the full membership PLUS other benefits!
Old Aug 1, 2011, 1:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Shhh! Don't let them know that you know!
Old Aug 1, 2011, 4:29 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by joshwex90
I never understood this, but why would someone pay $450 (or more even) for a PC membership, if the Presidential Plus Card has a $395 annual fee, making it cheaper, and that includes the full membership PLUS other benefits!
1. Not everyone has good credit.
2. Some employers will pay for the membership if you fly enough.

PS. there are plenty of us that have the PPMC that are thinking of getting rid of it with the recent changes.

Last edited by trm2; Aug 1, 2011 at 4:41 am
Old Aug 1, 2011, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by trm2
1. Not everyone has good credit.
This I understand

2. Some employers will pay for the membership if you fly enough.
This I also understand. (Though doesn't explain the many personal people who have membership. Besides, if you fly enough to warrant your employer to pay for the membership, aren't you likely a high enough elite that it might be cheaper than the PPlus card?)

PS. there are plenty of us that have the PPMC that are thinking of getting rid of it with the recent changes.
Is this a tangential note, or another reason? If the former, fine. If the latter, than that doesn't make sense. Even with the changes, better pay the lower rate to get the membership as well as any other benefits of the card, than get rid of the card because of changes to FEQMs.. and pay the higher rate for the membership
Old Aug 1, 2011, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by joshwex90
(Though doesn't explain the many personal people who have membership. Besides, if you fly enough to warrant your employer to pay for the membership, aren't you likely a high enough elite that it might be cheaper than the PPlus card?)
Some employers will reimburse a club receipt, but won't reimburse something labelled "Annual Fee." You may be able to work with your accounting department on this one (especially since it's cheaper), but I would get preapproved by the accting dept. first.

Is this a tangential note, or another reason? If the former, fine. If the latter, than that doesn't make sense. Even with the changes, better pay the lower rate to get the membership as well as any other benefits of the card, than get rid of the card because of changes to FEQMs.. and pay the higher rate for the membership
I think the idea would be to scrap membership altogether.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by channa
Some employers will reimburse a club receipt, but won't reimburse something labelled "Annual Fee." You may be able to work with your accounting department on this one (especially since it's cheaper), but I would get preapproved by the accting dept. first.
Meaning they may reimburse the club membership, saying "you fly a lot for us, we'll pay for that since you use it a lot," but won't pay an annual fee for a credit card, even if it's cheaper. (Similar to companies who will pay Y fares, but not Z fares, even though Z is generally cheaper than Y)

I think the idea would be to scrap membership altogether.
From the card, club, or MP?
Old Aug 1, 2011, 9:44 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
You can get multi year memberships if you pay for membership

You can do spouse memberships if you pay for membership

Not all Elites have to pay $450 (or more)

Not everybody qualifies for the credit card.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 5:01 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Vistana Chairman
Originally Posted by cordelli
You can get multi year memberships if you pay for membership

You can do spouse memberships if you pay for membership

Not all Elites have to pay $450 (or more)

Not everybody qualifies for the credit card.
You can also do spouse memberships with the card. Either $100 or $150 IIRC. Can't remember what I paid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.