Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Limit on Earning Flex Miles with Presidential Plus CC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Limit on Earning Flex Miles with Presidential Plus CC

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2011, 2:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
I also just sent a strongly worded email to Chase expressing my dissatisfaction with this change. I let them know I would consider cancelling my card if it goes forward.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
Originally Posted by eagle92
That is not new...it always kept you from transferring if you had already attained 100K EQM's or higher. I saw that on the site last year...
I talked to the OPSC about this. They told me that you can only transfer in increments of 100k once you have already reached 100k. That doesn't sound right to me.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I am starting to think that these changes have more to do with Chase being heavy-handed with CO than the other way around. These restrictions are quite radical, and we all know that CO fell prey to Chase's heavy-handedness last year, when they announced the severing of the Amex relationship. It seems to me that UA/CO should have the kind of muscle with Chase to force them to back down. We need to convince them that their risk analysis failed miserably.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by Transcon35

Second, everyone should read the new fine print just added to Chase's terms and conditions page of the card https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...l_terms_pp.htm -- it effectively says if you cancel your "Account" (meaning if you cancel your PPlus card -- they clearly differentiate that from cancelling your "OnePass account") then ALL your already-earned Flex EQMs will be "voided and deleted" from your OnePass account. (I would cut and paste the relevant section, but it is too cumbersome to do from my mobile device)

Is that their way of trying to force us to keep their card, even if we don't like these changes?

It's outrageous -- and they could only do that with CO/UA's agreement, since only CO/UA can delete already-earned miles from a FF's account.
Soooo.....by canceling a credit card, CO will punish their customers by taking away miles which they earned under the terms & conditions when they signed up for the card? I really hope that there are some lawyers reading this forum, because it seems to me that this threat may be illegal. FEQM's have always been treated like earned EQM's, with the added benefits that they did not need to be used in the year in which they were earned. CO cannot turn them around at remove them from our accounts as retaliatory action for canceling a their credit card.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 3:42 pm

Programs: ::US,UA,CO+ currently non-rev Plat
bravo Chase.
I was going to transfer my 1MM+ MR pts to CO pre-Sep 30 and then cancel my AMEX PR but you've now made the PPlus worthless.
my family will take our consistent 6-figure annual spend back to AMEX.

the card is a pain anyway with 4 people on it. separating expenses is a chore compared to AMEX.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
Originally Posted by willcoop
bravo Chase.
I was going to transfer my 1MM+ MR pts to CO pre-Sep 30 and then cancel my AMEX PR but you've now made the PPlus worthless.
my family will take our consistent 6-figure annual spend back to AMEX.

the card is a pain anyway with 4 people on it. separating expenses is a chore compared to AMEX.
I had also moved much of my spend from my AMEX and was considering eventually canceling it. Not sure if I will keep the PP or not now, but certainly will shift spending off of it (my AMEX points dont expire!). $10-$15K per month of reduced spend on this card is very likely.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA-Platinum , Marriott- Lifetime Gold
If there is a 5,000 flex limit then it's time to look around for another card or just use AMEX Plat. Big miscalculation by CO/Chase.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Finally heard from UA Insider. It's a bad as we thought. See the post in the Consolidated section -

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l#post16766648

It's clear the card is now aimed at non-Elites and mid level Elites. If you expect to maintain Platinum anyway for the forseeable future, there's very little good news here.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Finally heard from UA Insider. It's a bad as we thought. See the post in the Consolidated section -

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l#post16766648

It's clear the card is now aimed at non-Elites and mid level Elites. If you expect to maintain Platinum anyway for the forseeable future, there's very little good news here.
Or, you can stop flying when you hit 75K, transfer your 5K EQM's so they don't go to waste, and fly the balance of your flights on another airline. Or do this once every 3 years, and stop flying UA after you hit 60K.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 5:29 am

Interestingly though.

UAInsider does not clarify the total amount of EQMs to be earned in that post. The $25k (= 5k FEQM) vs. the 25kFEQM maximum benefit is, as far as I can tell, still up in the air and potentially a typo.

Actually, he specifically does *not* address a lower cap to earning in his list of benefit changes.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 5:47 am

And a small silver lining-

clarification that the total FEQM earn cap is an error -

Hi edcho, the information regarding the cap in Flex Elite Qualification Miles (Flex EQMs) is incorrect. There is no limit on the numbe of Flex EQMs that Cardmembers can earn. The information on the website will be corrected soon.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights & Metrics
United Airlines
Old Jul 21, 2011, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by dergon darkhelm

Thats the first good news i've heard from UACO in awhile! ^^^
Old Jul 21, 2011, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by dergon darkhelm

Quote:
Hi edcho, the information regarding the cap in Flex Elite Qualification Miles (Flex EQMs) is incorrect. There is no limit on the numbe of Flex EQMs that Cardmembers can earn. The information on the website will be corrected soon.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights & Metrics
United Airlines
Not really good news. Sure, you can spend $1 Million and get 200,000 Flex EQM's. Chase will be happy to take your money (actually the merchants' money). The problem is that if you earn exactly 75,000 EQM's in one year, you can't redeem any of those miles, which will start expiring in the fourth year.

I think it is inherently immoral for CO/Chase to give you these flex EQM's, referring to them as a benefit, when you theoretically might not be able to use them. You can always use your OP miles. You may not like the available flights or the cost in miles, but you can use them - and not just for flights.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:05 am
Suspended

Not really good news. Sure, you can spend $1 Million and get 200,000 Flex EQM's. Chase will be happy to take your money (actually the merchants' money). The problem is that if you earn exactly 75,000 EQM's in one year, you can't redeem any of those miles, which will start expiring in the fourth year.

I think it is inherently immoral for CO/Chase to give you these flex EQM's, referring to them as a benefit, when you theoretically might not be able to use them. You can always use your OP miles. You may not like the available flights or the cost in miles, but you can use them - and not just for flights.
Here's an idea, if you earn 25,000 FEQM's three years before that are about to expire, transfer 25,000 in the 4th year once you hit 50,000 EQMs and make yourself Plat. Then accumulate the remaining miles for the rest of the year and get SWU's (if you manage to go over 100k EQM) and/or more CR-1s. That's at least a benefit that you can realize and 'cash in' for something tanglible.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:18 am

I was actually thinking about this before I read your post. They basically say you can't transfer miles to go above platinum, etc... It will be interesting to see how this is implemented in software.

Ex: Year 1, Earn your 75K FEQM. Year 2, when EM resets, deposit, say 74K FEQM so that you're starting balance is actually 74k at the beginning of the year. Then, if you fly over 25k EQMs, it should/could let it go through since you're not transferring over the 75k. Again, depends how its implemented/programmed in the system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.