Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CommutAir Cancellations

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2011, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
CommutAir Cancellations

I fly into AVP semi-regularly via CommutAir Q200's from EWR. 3 out of the last 5 flights I was booked on got cancelled -- all on beautiful, sunny days. Today, for instance, CO cancelled 8655 from EWR-AVP, so my AVP-EWR flight (CO 8656) in turn was cancelled. I know that "weather" can happen anywhere throughout the system, but if CommutAir is cancelling flights willy-nilly when it's sunny in both EWR and AVP, I can only imagine what they are doing when there are thunderstorms and snow. I was booked on a CommutAir flight to AVP on July 2, and it was the only flight showing on the EWR display board that afternoon as cancelled.

What gives? These flights used to be consistent, solid performers, but they have become so unreliable that I am afraid to book them now. Does anybody have any thoughts, experiences or insight?
Old Jul 7, 2011, 10:45 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by SS255
I fly into AVP semi-regularly via CommutAir Q200's from EWR. 3 out of the last 5 flights I was booked on got cancelled -- all on beautiful, sunny days. Today, for instance, CO cancelled 8655 from EWR-AVP, so my AVP-EWR flight (CO 8656) in turn was cancelled. I know that "weather" can happen anywhere throughout the system, but if CommutAir is cancelling flights willy-nilly when it's sunny in both EWR and AVP, I can only imagine what they are doing when there are thunderstorms and snow. I was booked on a CommutAir flight to AVP on July 2, and it was the only flight showing on the EWR display board that afternoon as cancelled.

What gives? These flights used to be consistent, solid performers, but they have become so unreliable that I am afraid to book them now. Does anybody have any thoughts, experiences or insight?
Does it say weather? ATC can also be a cause of cancelations.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 7:54 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Express/CO Connection flights are always the first to get cancelled. A Beech 1900 takes the same space in the air as a 738. When there is weather in the Northeast (not just EWR) ATC limits the arrival slots into the EWR which may require some cancellations to comply with their restrictions. Rebooking passengers in a 19 seat B1900 or 50 seat ERJ is much easier than rerouting pax from a cancelled 737/757/etc.

Hope this makes sense.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 8:22 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Originally Posted by SS255

Give EWR-ABE a shot. I hear it leaves on time pretty consistently, regardless of summer storms.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by Joshua
Give EWR-ABE a shot. I hear it leaves on time pretty consistently, regardless of summer storms.
That was one of my back-up plans.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.