Wiki Posts
Search

Minimum Age Requirement for Exit Row

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2011, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K on final to 2MM
Minimum Age Requirement for Exit Row

What is the CO policy for this? "Alex" could not assist me. Seems on BA the requirement is only 12 years of age. TIA
Old Mar 1, 2011, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bankerflyer
What is the CO policy for this? "Alex" could not assist me. Seems on BA the requirement is only 12 years of age. TIA

You'll see it when picking an exit row seat.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Yes, I tried Alex on this one some time back and agree that she was useless.

And, indeeed, it is 15. Thank God my youngest is now 15 - exit row seats last week EWR-LAX made the flight bearable.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
That's legal? Seem awfully young to be able to effectively help in case of an emergency, God forbid
Old Mar 1, 2011, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by joshwex90
That's legal? Seem awfully young to be able to effectively help in case of an emergency, God forbid
I don't think it should be based on age. They should have a set of barbells the same weight as the emergency exit door next to the boarding line. If you can't pick them up, you don't get that seat.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
I don't think it should be based on age. They should have a set of barbells the same weight as the emergency exit door next to the boarding line. If you can't pick them up, you don't get that seat.
It's not only about strength. It's also about directing traffic, and being able to help people, which require maturity and responsibility as well.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 10:51 am

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
It's not only about strength. It's also about directing traffic, and being able to help people, which require maturity and responsibility as well.
At least the 15 year old is likely to be sober.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 11:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Pres? Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton, Avis, Hertz
I plan to lead by example if we need to use the emergency exit. So you better be paying attention, because I don't do a trial run.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Red_Rob
At least the 15 year old is likely to be sober.
I wonder if an airline has ever considered banning drinking in the exit row
Old Mar 2, 2011, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I wonder if an airline has ever considered banning drinking in the exit row
Considering the exit rows are now filled with Elites who are burning their certs and are angry they were not upgraded, or Kettles who paid a lot of $$, it would be unwise to anger them.

Technically, airlines are not supposed to serve you once you look inebriated, so there is no reason to ban it altogether in exit rows.

Yes, I know that rule is in terms of enforcement.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aacharya
Considering the exit rows are now filled with Elites who are burning their certs and are angry they were not upgraded, or Kettles who paid a lot of $$, it would be unwise to anger them.

Technically, airlines are not supposed to serve you once you look inebriated, so there is no reason to ban it altogether in exit rows.

Yes, I know that rule is in terms of enforcement.
This is one of the reasons I like E+ so much.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 2:51 pm

Programs: Onepass Infinite Plat.MM, UA 1K,Marriott PP,Hertz gold,Hyatt Gold,AA NADA,CO P-CLUB LIFETIME,UA CLUB
Smile Maximum Age

We've covered the minimum how about maximum ? I have seen some "OLD" Plat. in that row and occasionally I have seen them taste too much of the Geritol.....
Old Mar 2, 2011, 8:30 pm

Programs: United Two Million Miler; United 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
My twins were very excited when they turned 15 and could sit in exit rows. I would rather have them there than someone old, drunk, overweight and doesn't speak English.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bloodyeyeballs
My twins were very excited when they turned 15 and could sit in exit rows. I would rather have them there than someone old, drunk, overweight and doesn't speak English.
One of the requirements of sitting in the exit row is being able to speak, read, and understand English fluently.

I wonder, if (in theory) there were no elites on the flight, and no one wanted to pay, would they let the exit row fly empty?
Old Mar 3, 2011, 12:17 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
They would absolutely send a plane out with exit rows empty. I've seen this on many occasions, particularly on smaller regional planes.

Perhaps most notably was my "private" Great Lakes B1900 to GRI. I had to sit in the back for balance reasons, far from the emergency exit.

Keep in mind, planes like the Q400 don't have emergency exit rows, the exits are located at the front and back of the seating areas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.