FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   Minimum Age Requirement for Exit Row (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/1189535-minimum-age-requirement-exit-row.html)

bankerflyer Mar 1, 2011 10:34 am

Minimum Age Requirement for Exit Row

What is the CO policy for this? "Alex" could not assist me. Seems on BA the requirement is only 12 years of age. TIA

aacharya Mar 1, 2011 10:39 am

Originally Posted by bankerflyer (Post 15954526)
What is the CO policy for this? "Alex" could not assist me. Seems on BA the requirement is only 12 years of age. TIA

You'll see it when picking an exit row seat.

elitefreak Mar 1, 2011 12:59 pm

Yes, I tried Alex on this one some time back and agree that she was useless.

And, indeeed, it is 15. Thank God my youngest is now 15 - exit row seats last week EWR-LAX made the flight bearable.

joshwex90 Mar 1, 2011 1:04 pm

That's legal? Seem awfully young to be able to effectively help in case of an emergency, God forbid

tarheelnj Mar 1, 2011 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 15955641)
That's legal? Seem awfully young to be able to effectively help in case of an emergency, God forbid

I don't think it should be based on age. They should have a set of barbells the same weight as the emergency exit door next to the boarding line. If you can't pick them up, you don't get that seat. :D

joshwex90 Mar 1, 2011 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by tarheelnj (Post 15955666)
I don't think it should be based on age. They should have a set of barbells the same weight as the emergency exit door next to the boarding line. If you can't pick them up, you don't get that seat. :D

It's not only about strength. It's also about directing traffic, and being able to help people, which require maturity and responsibility as well.

Red_Rob Mar 2, 2011 10:51 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 15955781)
It's not only about strength. It's also about directing traffic, and being able to help people, which require maturity and responsibility as well.

At least the 15 year old is likely to be sober.

AUSshouldbeahub Mar 2, 2011 11:04 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 15955781)

I plan to lead by example if we need to use the emergency exit. So you better be paying attention, because I don't do a trial run.

joshwex90 Mar 2, 2011 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Red_Rob (Post 15961896)
At least the 15 year old is likely to be sober.

I wonder if an airline has ever considered banning drinking in the exit row

aacharya Mar 2, 2011 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 15962273)
I wonder if an airline has ever considered banning drinking in the exit row

Considering the exit rows are now filled with Elites who are burning their certs and are angry they were not upgraded, or Kettles who paid a lot of $$, it would be unwise to anger them.

Technically, airlines are not supposed to serve you once you look inebriated, so there is no reason to ban it altogether in exit rows.

Yes, I know that rule is :rolleyes: in terms of enforcement.

joshwex90 Mar 2, 2011 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya (Post 15962436)
Considering the exit rows are now filled with Elites who are burning their certs and are angry they were not upgraded, or Kettles who paid a lot of $$, it would be unwise to anger them.

Technically, airlines are not supposed to serve you once you look inebriated, so there is no reason to ban it altogether in exit rows.

Yes, I know that rule is :rolleyes: in terms of enforcement.

This is one of the reasons I like E+ so much.

onepassass Mar 2, 2011 2:51 pm

Maximum Age

We've covered the minimum how about maximum ? I have seen some "OLD" Plat. in that row and occasionally I have seen them taste too much of the Geritol.....:p

bloodyeyeballs Mar 2, 2011 8:30 pm

My twins were very excited when they turned 15 and could sit in exit rows. I would rather have them there than someone old, drunk, overweight and doesn't speak English.

joshwex90 Mar 3, 2011 5:37 am

Originally Posted by bloodyeyeballs (Post 15965379)
My twins were very excited when they turned 15 and could sit in exit rows. I would rather have them there than someone old, drunk, overweight and doesn't speak English.

One of the requirements of sitting in the exit row is being able to speak, read, and understand English fluently.

I wonder, if (in theory) there were no elites on the flight, and no one wanted to pay, would they let the exit row fly empty?

kwildnj Mar 3, 2011 12:17 pm

They would absolutely send a plane out with exit rows empty. I've seen this on many occasions, particularly on smaller regional planes.

Perhaps most notably was my "private" Great Lakes B1900 to GRI. I had to sit in the back for balance reasons, far from the emergency exit.

Keep in mind, planes like the Q400 don't have emergency exit rows, the exits are located at the front and back of the seating areas.