Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Thanks CO; DirectTV preview runs out in F early in SuperBowl and no fix given

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thanks CO; DirectTV preview runs out in F early in SuperBowl and no fix given

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2011, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
Or it could have been a requirement from LiveTV. When they are collecting the majority of the revenue, they would rather that a FA couldn't give out free products easily. Contract specs can go both way.

CO is the customer here, and anything is negotiable.

If CO wanted more COntrols, they could have insisted on them. May have COst them more money (or a bigger cut or whatnot), but everything is negotiable.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
On my flights I do not see alot of Y passengers buying Direct TV, do you think on flights last evening alot more people bought the service to watch the Super Bowl.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by channa
CO is the customer here, and anything is negotiable.

If CO wanted more COntrols, they could have insisted on them. May have COst them more money (or a bigger cut or whatnot), but everything is negotiable.
Sure, anything is negotiable. But that doesn't mean it makes sense to do so.

And since none of us know the full terms, assigning certain actions and motivations to the parties makes little to no logical sense.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
signing certain actions and motivations to the parties makes little to no logical sense.
Uhh, I think we can reasonably infer that CO wanted to risk as little capital as possible (Larry's MO) and wanted to make it as cheap and simplistic as possible.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 7:35 pm

Programs: Continental
I hope that the changes benefit us and not the airline
Old Feb 8, 2011, 10:45 am

Programs: Cattle Class
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
Sure, anything is negotiable. But that doesn't mean it makes sense to do so.

And since none of us know the full terms, assigning certain actions and motivations to the parties makes little to no logical sense.
Why this should become customer's problem? In this case it's plain and simple, CO failed to provide the service that was promised.
It's CO's problem to make it work, free for all, seat comp off, etc...
CO has to make it right using current limitations, if that's not acceptable, then change the system or process.
If the only way to make a DTV work in F was to make it free for everyone, so be it.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 11:19 am

Programs: UA 1K
Since it was the Superbowl and it's only $4 (with the Chase card), i would have just paid it rather then stewing about it for the remainder of the flight + days after.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 11:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by sawzall710
Since it was the Superbowl and it's only $4 (with the Chase card), i would have just paid it rather then stewing about it for the remainder of the flight + days after.
Being a Canadian I don't have a Chase card.

And I haven't been "stewing" about it, just asking fellow CO pax what their experience has been with DTV in-flight foibles. I've flown enough not to let relatively minor things like this assume more importance than they should in the bigger scheme of things.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 8:28 am

With the dis-empowerment philosophy of the current mgmt, you'll probably be seeing this more often. Add to that the demoralization of the fa group due to being excluded from the profit sharing and you have the new UA.

Sorry guys, that does not qualify for a whole cabin comp and I don't have the latitude to change it, nor do I have much motivation to take one for the team anymore.

Hopefully it will all change in the future but for now, this what it is. I am very sorry.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pptp
With the dis-empowerment philosophy of the current mgmt, you'll probably be seeing this more often. Add to that the demoralization of the fa group due to being excluded from the profit sharing and you have the new UA.

Sorry guys, that does not qualify for a whole cabin comp and I don't have the latitude to change it, nor do I have much motivation to take one for the team anymore.

Hopefully it will all change in the future but for now, this what it is. I am very sorry.

Thank you for your candidness. Your thoughts/reactions make perfect sense. So much for "working together," huh?

There is a small glimmer of hope that UA's workforce would push back on some of the "dis-empowerment" if it came down their way and perhaps some of UA's empowerment/take care of the customer culture will survive.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 9:02 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by pptp

I guess over the next few months employees will be seeing some changes too - and I don't think you're going to like them.

At least customers and employees have something to bring us closer together...just not the way we would have liked.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I guess over the next few months employees will be seeing some changes too - and I don't think you're going to like them.

Well, $misek has already ruffled the pilots' feathers with the RJ fiasco. Now the FA's with the profit sharing issue. I guess ground staff are next?

The UA staff are really not keen on the guy anymore. I've never seen such a nosedive in terms of perception about a person. Six months ago, they were happy, falling for his smiling, shaking hands, and "working together" mumbo-jumbo. Now, not so much.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat
FAs being proactive

On my flight yesterday the FAs knew that the Direct TV system was charging in first class. They went around and told everyone and said that they would take down the confirmation number of anyone who decided to pay for the flight so they would get their money back.

I didn't purchase it so I have no idea what will actually happen, but at least they are doing what they can.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by smartinez
On my flight yesterday the FAs knew that the Direct TV system was charging in first class. They went around and told everyone and said that they would take down the confirmation number of anyone who decided to pay for the flight so they would get their money back.

I didn't purchase it so I have no idea what will actually happen, but at least they are doing what they can.

That's great that they're trying, but honestly, CO has the data already. The FA just needs to report the flight as paid DTV in F, and CO should be able to figure out who paid and reverse those charges, and/or send some goodwill to the affected people for the hassle.

In fact, the FA shouldn't have to do anything. CO should be able to see the seat number for the charges, and if anyone paid in F, they should know there was a malfunction.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 11:01 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by channa
That's great that they're trying, but honestly, CO has the data already. The FA just needs to report the flight as paid DTV in F, and CO should be able to figure out who paid and reverse those charges, and/or send some goodwill to the affected people for the hassle.

In fact, the FA shouldn't have to do anything. CO should be able to see the seat number for the charges, and if anyone paid in F, they should know there was a malfunction.
Ummm...I still can't even get the refunds section of the website to work. Your list is a tall order.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.