FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   EWR Doom & Gloom Thread for the [11/12-Jan-2011] Snowstorm (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/1169916-ewr-doom-gloom-thread-11-12-jan-2011-snowstorm.html)

Xyzzy Jan 10, 2011 12:02 am

Originally Posted by Driving by DCA (Post 15621371)
And apparently more Wed and late Tues. Just hope they have things cleared off by Thurs evening...looks good for now, but we'll see.

It is going to start just after n:eek::eek:n Tuesday. Any snow at EWR screws things up.

Xyzzy Jan 10, 2011 12:08 am

Originally Posted by golfingboy (Post 15623001)
How screwed am I? Any chance of me doing this with minimal disruptions?

If it's as predicted, you'll be roughing it. If you're on teh same carrier for b;)th flights you may wish to see if you can connect somewhere else (even if this is two tix) -- or just avoid NYC altogether. Some carriers can be reasonably flexible, particularly if you have status (UA) while others won't budge no matter who you are (SkyTeam USA).

golfingboy Jan 10, 2011 12:34 am

Originally Posted by xyzzy (Post 15623160)
If it's as predicted, you'll be roughing it. If you're on teh same carrier for b;)th flights you may wish to see if you can connect somewhere else (even if this is two tix) -- or just avoid NYC altogether. Some carriers can be reasonably flexible, particularly if you have status (UA) while others won't budge no matter who you are (SkyTeam USA).

LAX-JFK is on DL and LGA-YYZ is on AC...

DL has already issued travel waivers for the 12th, so should I ask to connect in MSP or MEM by taking the redeye at midnight on the 13th and fly to LGA arriving around 10am or noon on the 13th?

I see the following options:

LAX-MEM-LGA departing LAX at 1:40am arriving in LGA at 12:16pm

LAX-MSP-LGA departing LAX at 12:30am arriving in LGA at 10:56am

Vulcan Jan 10, 2011 12:50 am

Originally Posted by Weatherboy (Post 15622501)
The latest data suggests another crippling blizzard for the NYC metro area with a foot or two likely. Right now, it looks like snow would begin in Newark right before dinner time and become heavy by 7pm and come down at an incredible pace from about 9pm to 7am. With 20" due on the ground at EWR by Wednesday lunchtime, I don't think anything will be moving there that day... and we'll see if things get back to normal on Thursday.

So what time is "right BEFORE dinner time"? Is my 6:05 PM to TPA still toast or do I stand a (Small) chance?

I'm sitting int the Thai lounge in BKK writing this and getting maybe a glimmer ofhopeI can get out. Maybe I should go back for another massage :)

golfingboy Jan 10, 2011 1:02 am

Originally Posted by Vulcan (Post 15623303)
So what time is "right BEFORE dinner time"? Is my 6:05 PM to TPA still toast or do I stand a (Small) chance?

I'm sitting int the Thai lounge in BKK writing this and getting maybe a glimmer ofhopeI can get out. Maybe I should go back for another massage :)

Can you SDC to a earlier flight? Or if you are flying from BKK to LAX then onward to EWR, maybe you can change your itinerary to fly through IAH instead...

005flyer Jan 10, 2011 8:11 am

Got the Trip Alert at6:24am - my flight from IAH to RDU at 6:50pm tonight in canceled. They rebooked for the first flightof the morning (going from a 737 with a B-fare upgrade to an RJ).

Heck,i think I'll just cancel and go next week.

enviroian Jan 10, 2011 8:39 am

6" of snow expected, not 12-24".

Xyzzy Jan 10, 2011 8:44 am

There are weather issues in TX t:eek::eek:. Vulcan, I'll be on CO98 on Tuesday. Will PM details. I think we'll be fine to get to EWR. TPA I'm not so sure about. You could try to do EWR-TPA at 2:50pm if we get in early. Global Entry would help...

OnePass Since 87 Jan 10, 2011 8:48 am

Cripes! 2010 was my year for minimal IROPS. Guess I am paying for that in 2011.

I have to travel through ERW tomorrow afternoon ABE/EWE/ATL . My luck is going to be that ABE - EWR goes (it always does unless there is 10" on the ground already) & EWR - ATL will CX while on the way, either because of EWR WX or they havent finished panicking in ATL.

Already booked a SUV rental ex EWR if I have to turn around and drive myself back home. :rolleyes:

redtailshark Jan 10, 2011 8:49 am

Great!

So, like everyone else, I'm landing at EWR @ 1.30pm local on Tues (65). On the way to IAH and CCS! Yeah, I know. You know.

I'm in LIS right now. I have an end-on-end from IAH to TUS on Wed. Proximate destination for this leg is IAH.

I anticipate being reaccommodated on some or other StarA service that avoids EWR if things look they're really bad before we take off. But - I need the ORC! If I print BPs now, so that I have them in hand, despite whatever rebooking may or may not appear by tomorrow, can I still claim ORC for CCS?

Awtas Jan 10, 2011 8:57 am

CO still hasn't issued travel waivers.
Have a flight to EWR that lands 12:05 AM on Wednesday.
I'm pretty sure that I'm screwed but not sure if I'd be good even if I did SDC to an earlier flight that lands 9 PM on Tuesday.

wrp96 Jan 10, 2011 9:00 am

Originally Posted by golfingboy (Post 15623256)
LAX-JFK is on DL and LGA-YYZ is on AC...

DL has already issued travel waivers for the 12th, so should I ask to connect in MSP or MEM by taking the redeye at midnight on the 13th and fly to LGA arriving around 10am or noon on the 13th?

I see the following options:

LAX-MEM-LGA departing LAX at 1:40am arriving in LGA at 12:16pm

LAX-MSP-LGA departing LAX at 12:30am arriving in LGA at 10:56am

I'd take the connection through MSP. MEM should be fine by then but they got snow yesterday and today too so they've got some cleaning up to do.

entropy Jan 10, 2011 9:28 am

Crazy.... time for CO to close the phone lines!

milesmilesmiles Jan 10, 2011 9:34 am

Originally Posted by OnePass Since 87 (Post 15625204)
Cripes! 2010 was my year for minimal IROPS. Guess I am paying for that in 2011.

I have to travel through ERW tomorrow afternoon ABE/EWE/ATL . My luck is going to be that ABE - EWR goes (it always does unless there is 10" on the ground already) & EWR - ATL will CX while on the way, either because of EWR WX or they havent finished panicking in ATL.

Already booked a SUV rental ex EWR if I have to turn around and drive myself back home. :rolleyes:

There is existing Weather Waiver for ATL through tomorrow. Does that help?

Weather in Atlanta Airports:

Atlanta, GA (ATL)
Original Travel Dates:
January 9, 2011 – January 11, 2011

Final Travel must be completed by:
End of Validity of ticket (one year from date of issue) Flight Changes:
When rescheduled travel commences by January 18, 2011, change fees and fare differences will be waived.
For all other dates and ticket uses, the change fee will be waived, but a difference in fare may apply.

Awtas Jan 10, 2011 9:36 am

When do we expect for EWR to close tomorrow?