FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   EWR Doom & Gloom Thread for the [11/12-Jan-2011] Snowstorm (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/1169916-ewr-doom-gloom-thread-11-12-jan-2011-snowstorm.html)

usa18dca Jan 9, 2011 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by mduell (Post 15619695)
Why'd you have to get an award ticket? CO wouldn't rebook you??

Not surprised at CO'S unwillingness to rebook any passenger...

xliioper Jan 9, 2011 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 15619784)
What storm? Partly sunny and mid 30's scheduled for Monday and Tuesday :confused:

11/12-Jan-2011 is Tuesday and Wednesday. http://www.weather.com/outlook/weath...orm_2011-01-09

Driving by DCA Jan 9, 2011 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ (Post 15621109)
11/12-Jan-2011 is Tuesday and Wednesday. http://www.weather.com/outlook/weath...orm_2011-01-09

And apparently more Wed and late Tues. Just hope they have things cleared off by Thurs evening...looks good for now, but we'll see.

usa18dca Jan 9, 2011 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Driving by DCA (Post 15621371)
And apparently more Wed and late Tues. Just hope they have things cleared off by Thurs evening...looks good for now, but we'll see.

I'm flying Wednesday damn it ...No SNOW haz please...

krentzie Jan 9, 2011 7:54 pm

Supposed to land at EWR Thursday afternoon at 3:30.. Should be interesting. Hope its done by then.

From NYC Jan 9, 2011 8:39 pm

Am heading out to the SIN Do on an award ticket, and was planning on leaving Wednesday morning to connect in Chicago. The reports scared me about getting out of EWR Wednesday morning, so I shifted everything and am now flying out early Tuesday morning, and making 1st stop in LAX instead of ORD.

Fortunate enough to find Saver-Pass for BF, and then bumped it up to F for all flights on very cheap rate.

Weatherboy Jan 9, 2011 9:29 pm

The latest data suggests another crippling blizzard for the NYC metro area with a foot or two likely. Right now, it looks like snow would begin in Newark right before dinner time and become heavy by 7pm and come down at an incredible pace from about 9pm to 7am. With 20" due on the ground at EWR by Wednesday lunchtime, I don't think anything will be moving there that day... and we'll see if things get back to normal on Thursday.

Olton Hall Jan 9, 2011 9:38 pm

That's much more doom and gloom than the 6"+ everyone else is saying. Being that they are acting like it's going to be no big deal, that means it will be a big deal.

usa18dca Jan 9, 2011 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Weatherboy (Post 15622501)
The latest data suggests another crippling blizzard for the NYC metro area with a foot or two likely. Right now, it looks like snow would begin in Newark right before dinner time and become heavy by 7pm and come down at an incredible pace from about 9pm to 7am. With 20" due on the ground at EWR by Wednesday lunchtime, I don't think anything will be moving there that day... and we'll see if things get back to normal on Thursday.

Based on what data and models?

pjczech Jan 9, 2011 10:04 pm

We dont' question the WeatherBoy - he's always right. No joke....!

--WeatherBoy Fan & Supporter

usa18dca Jan 9, 2011 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by pjczech (Post 15622692)
We dont' question the WeatherBoy - he's always right. No joke....!

--WeatherBoy Fan & Supporter

I know...that's why I'm already creating plan B to get the hell out of EWR on Tuesday...

AAExPlat Jan 9, 2011 10:27 pm

I was due to fly out to EWR Monday and back on Wed. Cancelled the trip altogether. Not worth the likely delays and cancellations.

Weatherboy Jan 9, 2011 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by usa18dca (Post 15622577)
Based on what data and models?

Based on SREF and NAM data. And my #'s are still somewhat conservative, considering one set of data suggests 25" for EWR. I'll stick with a general 1-2 feet until the event nears. :)

I've seen data out there that also says only 6" for EWR...but those solutions are the outliers. I forecast what's most likely to occur... I typically don't go to the most conservative number and up it as the event nears. Otherwise you end up with a Boxing Day Blizzard media mess where people were mislead by some TV personalities in thinking they'd get 6-10" when they actually got 20-30".

But weather is full of surprises, so it'll be interesting to see how things unfold this week. But whatever happens, EWR is going to be a disaster Wednesday.

usa18dca Jan 9, 2011 10:42 pm

Thanks...I wanted to check ;) cuz Weather.com shows it Sunny on Wednesday *coughs*

golfingboy Jan 9, 2011 11:12 pm

I am scheduled to fly in JFK on a red-eye flight from LAX arriving on the 13th at 6AM, and then gotta get to LGA for my 2:30pm flight to YYZ...

How screwed am I? Any chance of me doing this with minimal disruptions?