FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   EWR Doom & Gloom Thread for the [11/12-Jan-2011] Snowstorm (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/1169916-ewr-doom-gloom-thread-11-12-jan-2011-snowstorm.html)

FragranceMarketingGuy Jan 10, 2011 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Awtas (Post 15625564)
When do we expect for EWR to close tomorrow?

CO will issue the waiver after EWR closes.

rolov Jan 10, 2011 9:47 am

They were very proactive for Friday's snow in EWR which was not much, I think they are gonna hold off on this one. Snow is forecasted to start late tomorrow night so impact will be for Wed.

GadgetFreak Jan 10, 2011 9:55 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by Awtas

For New York City they are predicting 6-12 with most of it late Tuesday through Wednesday morning as I understand it. That is a lot different than 24 and it looks like a fair amount of unpredictability. For most of the area 6 inches is a pretty short disruption, 12 not a lot worse. 24 is pushing the limit and things are likely out for a day or so around here. A bit more, like 30 and it jumps to about 3 days in my experience.

Xyzzy Jan 10, 2011 10:07 am

Originally Posted by redtailshark (Post 15625214)
I anticipate being reaccommodated on some or other StarA service that avoids EWR if things look they're really bad before we take off. But - I need the ORC! If I print BPs now, so that I have them in hand, despite whatever rebooking may or may not appear by tomorrow, can I still claim ORC for CCS?

If you fly on a Star carrier you will receive credit for what you flew, NOT the originally-scheduled route you were supposed to take. Printing boarding passes will almost certainly n:eek:t change this.

Weatherboy Jan 10, 2011 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Awtas (Post 15625564)

I don't expect EWR to close tomorrow. There's a decent shot the runways will be closed for service early Wednesday...but I doubt there will be enough snow for a long-term closure. However, I do think there will be a significant amount of snow to disrupt schedules...and I'm nearly certain CO will cancel flights ahead of the storm.

usa18dca Jan 10, 2011 10:13 am

Originally Posted by redtailshark (Post 15625214)
So, like everyone else, I'm landing at EWR @ 1.30pm local on Tues (65). On the way to IAH and CCS! Yeah, I know. You know.

I'm in LIS right now. I have an end-on-end from IAH to TUS on Wed. Proximate destination for this leg is IAH.

I anticipate being reaccommodated on some or other StarA service that avoids EWR if things look they're really bad before we take off. But - I need the ORC! If I print BPs now, so that I have them in hand, despite whatever rebooking may or may not appear by tomorrow, can I still claim ORC for CCS?

CCS is very overbooked, you probably could get a VDB IAH-CCS!

usa18dca Jan 10, 2011 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Weatherboy (Post 15625824)
I don't expect EWR to close tomorrow. There's a decent shot the runways will be closed for service early Wednesday...but I doubt there will be enough snow for a long-term closure. However, I do think there will be a significant amount of snow to disrupt schedules...and I'm nearly certain CO will cancel flights ahead of the storm.

As of now all of my flights are operating as scheduled.

OnePass Since 87 Jan 10, 2011 10:18 am

Originally Posted by milesmilesmiles (Post 15625557)
There is existing Weather Waiver for ATL through tomorrow. Does that help?

Yes it does, and I had already spotted it, but thanks for the heads up. However this is the second attempt at this trip, so I am going to try and make it.

With a bit of luck and premptive cancellations withstanding I can get out of town before it hits.

dmurphynj Jan 10, 2011 10:18 am

I changed my flight LGA-ORD from Wednesday to tomorrow at 7am.

I'm also supposed to be flying ORD-LGA on Thursday bright and early... we'll see what happens with that.

They're UA flights booked through CO; if I need help, should I call CO Elite and have them work it, or reach out to UA directly?

usa18dca Jan 10, 2011 10:20 am

Originally Posted by dmurphynj (Post 15625891)
I changed my flight LGA-ORD from Wednesday to tomorrow at 7am.

I'm also supposed to be flying ORD-LGA on Thursday bright and early... we'll see what happens with that.

They're UA flights booked through CO; if I need help, should I call CO Elite and have them work it, or reach out to UA directly?

Does any of them have a weather waiver for the Northeast yet?

Kate_Canuck Jan 10, 2011 10:25 am

I'm flying EWR-BCN on Thurs evening, with a subsequent flight (long layover in BCN) on Spanair that's not part of the same ticket. Hopefully, things will be straightened by Thursday evening

dmurphynj Jan 10, 2011 10:29 am

Originally Posted by usa18dca (Post 15625923)
Does any of them have a weather waiver for the Northeast yet?

Nothing yet... hoping I can fly around the storm ...

usa18dca Jan 10, 2011 10:30 am

Originally Posted by dmurphynj (Post 15626006)
Nothing yet... hoping I can fly around the storm ...

Did UA let u change flights for free?

Awtas Jan 10, 2011 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Weatherboy (Post 15625824)
and I'm nearly certain CO will cancel flights ahead of the storm.

That's my biggest concern, as I've seen in the past, while other carriers were able to make to the destination, CO cancelled most of the flights, going to the same airport, blaming the weather.

GadgetFreak Jan 10, 2011 10:32 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by Kate_Canuck
I'm flying EWR-BCN on Thurs evening, with a subsequent flight (long layover in BCN) on Spanair that's not part of the same ticket. Hopefully, things will be straightened by Thursday evening

Unless there is a big change in the predictions or some fairly specific equipment issue I think Thursday night should be back to normal. If the predictions hold I would expect Wednesday night to be pretty normal. Whatever that means for EWR. ;)