Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

EWR Doom & Gloom Thread for the [11/12-Jan-2011] Snowstorm

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EWR Doom & Gloom Thread for the [11/12-Jan-2011] Snowstorm

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2011, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Kate_Canuck
It's not so much "whether" I take my vacation but "when". If I don't go now, I'll aim to go later this spring.
^
Old Jan 11, 2011, 5:24 pm

What's the situation right now? Much snow yet?
Old Jan 11, 2011, 5:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by Benjh
Just starting where I am but I'm about 30 or 40 miles from EWR I suspect.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 5:26 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Not sure if that is good news, but Weather.com and Accuweather reduced their snow forecast... This morning they were posting 10-15", now it is 6-12" and I HOPE the latter will be the end result of the storm without any ice.

I think LGA/JFK will see around 12 inches, while EWR will be slightly less... I am a no weatherman, but this is my gut guess...
Old Jan 11, 2011, 5:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Benjh
Total pandemonium. Absolute bedlam. Total white out conditions. Authoritieis advice citizens not to leave their homes or offices under any conditions.

j/k from my office in Times Square, it appears that there is absolutely no snow yet. could be the weathermen cried wolf after the Boxing Day Blizzard. They do like the attention.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Despite all the pre-cancellations for the last storm several flights, especially from Europe had to be diverted to CLE, ORD, and DTW. How do they avoid this for this storm, Do they need to cancel all inbound Europe flights tomorrow morning.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA*S/Club, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by gawhite411
Total pandemonium. Absolute bedlam. Total white out conditions. Authoritieis advice citizens not to leave their homes or offices under any conditions.

j/k from my office in Times Square, it appears that there is absolutely no snow yet. could be the weathermen cried wolf after the Boxing Day Blizzard. They do like the attention.
Kent: Let's check the death count from the killer storm bearing down on us like a shotgun full of snow.

Weatherman: Well, Kent, as of now the death count is zero. But it is ready to shoot right up!

Kent: Oh my God. [shakes fist at heaven] Damn you snow!
Old Jan 11, 2011, 5:54 pm

Programs: Cattle Class
so this is what we have as of now. CO 449 for today was cancelled (due to the weather I guess). Scheduled arrival 7:50 PM.
As of 7:50 PM no snow at EWR.
I strongly believe that this is cheating as no compensation was provided to the customers.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by Awtas
so this is what we have as of now. CO 449 for today was cancelled (due to the weather I guess). Scheduled arrival 7:50 PM.
As of 7:50 PM no snow at EWR.
I strongly believe that this is cheating as no compensation was provided to the customers.
After living thru the nightmare of the Dec 26 snowstorm and having two SFO-EWR flights attempt to depart and then canceling.....be thankful that CO did pre-cancelled flights.

I was the gate agent for one of those flights. We canceled the flight at departure time and the customers were promised an extra-section the next day. We told them to check their reservation record to find out what time the flight was going to depart. The flight wasn't loaded into the system until after midnight and was scheduled to leave before 10am.

CO did not want a repeat of that Boxing Day system meltdown again, with customers unable to get thru on the phones.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 6:19 pm

They pre-cancel flights before the storm hits in order not to have a possible diversion or having aircraft and crews stranded at EWR and it is suppose to help start-up operations after the irreg operations. In this case they keep the aircraft and crew at SFO to position for asap restart. Alot of other flights cancelled including LAX-EWR which operates at the same time.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 6:40 pm

I see they are delaying the TLV departure by at least 5 hours do to the weather condictions anticipated.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 7:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
At 9:15PM EST 10 miles west of EWR it is snowing heavily with about one inch on the ground
Old Jan 11, 2011, 7:18 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by milesmilesmiles
At 9:15PM EST 10 miles west of EWR it is snowing heavily with about one inch on the ground
And I hope it stays west.... NWS said during the night snow accumulation will be around 1" per hour resulting in 5 to 9 inches on the ground by morning, then the rest of the day will see another 2-4 inches...

Key here, NO ICE expected. I think this is something PANYNJ can handle and yes it will crimp operations for sometime in the morning, but in the afternoon things should start returning to normal... At least, I hope...
Old Jan 11, 2011, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
According to the local Cleveland weather dude, the weather pattern miraculously changed in recent hours and CLE is only going to get about an inch overnight instead of the predicted ~10". Any word on DCA? From what I'm hearing DCA dodged the worst weather, so my flight Wed morning CLE-DCA should be ok?

When I was checking alternates on the PDA site, I saw Colgan pre-cancelled the first morning CLE-BWI tomorrow.

Last edited by paule123; Jan 11, 2011 at 8:43 pm
Old Jan 11, 2011, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, AA, B6, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by golfingboy
And I hope it stays west.... NWS said during the night snow accumulation will be around 1" per hour resulting in 5 to 9 inches on the ground by morning, then the rest of the day will see another 2-4 inches...

Key here, NO ICE expected. I think this is something PANYNJ can handle and yes it will crimp operations for sometime in the morning, but in the afternoon things should start returning to normal... At least, I hope...
They are expecting strong winds tomorrow which will cause delays by themselves. The fresh snow is likely to be blowing around in it since what is falling now is pretty dry and fluffy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.