Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Please put your seats in the upright position... an hour and a half before landing!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please put your seats in the upright position... an hour and a half before landing!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2011, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, SPG Plat, Virgin Elevate

Normally I fly VX. Flew continental the other day. About an hour and a half from our destination we encountered some turbulence. The Captain announced we would be going through some real rough skies. We didn't, but I don't fault anyone for that, as it is important to be safe. What I cannot believe though is, the FA came on the PA system and announced that due to turbulence service would end (they came through the cabin once) and everyone needed to put their sets and tray tables up. Mind you, this is an hour and a half away from our destination! I could not believe it. Anyhow, half an hour later the Captain comes back on and announces he will be turning off the fasten seat belt sign as we were through the choppiness. The FAs did not resume service but just kept on reading their magazines. I couldn't believe it. I wish VX had more routes so I did not have to deal with such craziness.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Were you flying between MBY-PBY? If you get Captain Jack Waggon on that route and there's even a hint of turbulence, he loses all self-confidence and starts being overly safe. The FAs want to toss some tissues at him and call him a cry baby, but they don't.

Unbelievable craziness!
Old Jan 5, 2011, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I've never seen anything like this. I've been on turbulent flights where FAs must remain seated for much of the flight. If it's bumpy towards the end and they cannot do the walk-through, they usually say it's "honor system" and ask people to check seatbacks, trays, and seatbelts themselves.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 9:22 pm

Programs: CO GOLD
Re: "fasten seat belts", CO had them on for literally 1/2 of the LHR-IAH AM flight today, and the battle axe PA announcer said every time "it's CO's policy that seat belts must be worn while seated at all times".

We hit three minor bumps during the trip. The "seat belts fastened at all times" is as ridiculous as charging for booze on int'l longhauls...
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: CO PP, AA EXP, UA 1K, DL DIA
Originally Posted by anonymousderek
Normally I fly VX. Flew continental the other day. About an hour and a half from our destination we encountered some turbulence. The Captain announced we would be going through some real rough skies. We didn't, but I don't fault anyone for that, as it is important to be safe. What I cannot believe though is, the FA came on the PA system and announced that due to turbulence service would end (they came through the cabin once) and everyone needed to put their sets and tray tables up. Mind you, this is an hour and a half away from our destination! I could not believe it. Anyhow, half an hour later the Captain comes back on and announces he will be turning off the fasten seat belt sign as we were through the choppiness. The FAs did not resume service but just kept on reading their magazines. I couldn't believe it. I wish VX had more routes so I did not have to deal with such craziness.
Were you in coach, first class, business first? In coach theres not much difference between reclined and upright.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
On my flight to LHR last week the pilot came on the PA and announced moderate turbulence, and asked FAs to secure cabin. They had to end breakfast service in BF, it had to be between 1.5 to 1 hour before landing.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:23 am

Programs: UA 1k & MillM
Originally Posted by jefri68
Re: "fasten seat belts", CO had them on for literally 1/2 of the LHR-IAH AM flight today, and the battle axe PA announcer said every time "it's CO's policy that seat belts must be worn while seated at all times".

We hit three minor bumps during the trip. The "seat belts fastened at all times" is as ridiculous as charging for booze on int'l longhauls...
Having the seatbelt on while seated is a good idea. Fortunately it is rare, but people have been seriously injured and even died, because the plane suddenly hit unexpected turbulence.

I find it difficult to see how this relates to the lack of free booze on international flights.

But now that we are on the subject. Why is it more ridiculous that nondrinking passengers are NOT required to subsidize alcohol consumption on planes that cross international borders, than planes crossing other lines on a map. Why not demand subsidized alcohol consumption on planes crossing county lines?
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:26 am

Programs: One Pass Silver, UA Premier
I sat in economy ewr-pek, and during each meal one male flight attendant kept forcing us to bring our seats upright. This has never happened to me, including the pek-ewr I just got off of a few hours ago.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:43 am

Programs: UA 1k & MillM
Originally Posted by c1ue1ess88
I sat in economy ewr-pek, and during each meal one male flight attendant kept forcing us to bring our seats upright. This has never happened to me, including the pek-ewr I just got off of a few hours ago.
I have seen this happen many times on international flights, but more frequently on other airlines than CO.

I like the extra bit of space while I consume my meal. I assume the guy behind me feels the same way, so I always try to bring my seatback forward during meals. In short - I think it is a good policy in the Y cabin (perhaps excluding those dining in the ELR seats.)
Old Jan 6, 2011, 4:44 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by c1ue1ess88
If you happen to be sitting in front of me during meal service in Y and your seat is reclined, either the FA will make you put your seat up, or I will. It's incredibly rude in Y class to have your seat reclined back during meals--the person behind you has no room to comfortably eat. Nearly all flights I've been on in recent years (admittedly, international and regional intra-Asia), either get on the PA system to request seats up during meal service, or go around and make the requests as needed, or both. I've never seen passengers with reclined seats refuse to put them up temporarily for meal service. Once trays are picked up, seats can go down again.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 5:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jiejie
If you happen to be sitting in front of me during meal service in Y and your seat is reclined, either the FA will make you put your seat up, or I will. It's incredibly rude in Y class to have your seat reclined back during meals--the person behind you has no room to comfortably eat. Nearly all flights I've been on in recent years (admittedly, international and regional intra-Asia), either get on the PA system to request seats up during meal service, or go around and make the requests as needed, or both. I've never seen passengers with reclined seats refuse to put them up temporarily for meal service. Once trays are picked up, seats can go down again.
If I'm asleep during said meal service I certainly wouldn't be waking up to accommodate this. If I'm awake and having a meal also then sure, I'm fine with this but your approach above is way over the top. Would you wake somebody up to "make" them put their seat forward?

I haven't heard an announcement like this on an international flight in at least 5 years - and probably only 2-3 times ever. It's certainly not that common.

You have no guarantee in a Y seat of having this additional personal space available - certainly you have no right to force people to do so.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 5:53 am

Programs: CO PLAT, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, NW, AA, UA
Originally Posted by star_world
If I'm asleep during said meal service I certainly wouldn't be waking up to accommodate this. If I'm awake and having a meal also then sure, I'm fine with this but your approach above is way over the top. Would you wake somebody up to "make" them put their seat forward?

I haven't heard an announcement like this on an international flight in at least 5 years - and probably only 2-3 times ever. It's certainly not that common.

You have no guarantee in a Y seat of having this additional personal space available - certainly you have no right to force people to do so.
Agreed. ^ I may accommodate in certain circumstances, but if the person asks with an attitude in an entitled manner like the poster suggests, I decline.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 6:18 am

Programs: Skyteam
In asia it is known that sitting upright meals is expected. I have seen people get really nasty over this one. If you recline you may get mama really mad during meals.

However once they get into the seat they want you to crawl over them to get into your seat.

Hate, hate, hate when the FA's try to get out of service when there is no reason. I think everyone should be seated during a bumpy ride, but I have landed far too many times with a drink in my hand as they never make the final walk-thru. And then you always have the guy, always a guy, who wants your drink when the door closes and we sit there for quite some time. Huh?
Old Jan 6, 2011, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by jefri68
The "seat belts fastened at all times" is as ridiculous as charging for booze on int'l longhauls...
You couldn't be more wrong about that.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:56 am

Programs: One Pass Silver, UA Premier
Originally Posted by jiejie
That's weird, because in my 7 times flying to Beijing using either UA or CO it has happened only 1 out of 14 times. I even remember eating dinner with some person in front of me having his seat reclined. If only I were a foot shorter, then it wouldn't be as unpleasant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.