Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

If A Onepass Member Resolves An In-Flight Medical Emergency

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If A Onepass Member Resolves An In-Flight Medical Emergency

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2010, 9:30 am

I think the CO Crew should have thanked her or any medical professional who helps during an IME, it's the basic freaking common courtesy anyone can do...unbelievable...
Old Dec 8, 2010, 10:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
I once broke into a smoking home and pulled a burning couch out of the house and into the common area, hosed it down and walked home without saying a word. A few hours later, the cops knocked on my door and asked if I was the one who broke in. I told them that I did what I thought was right, and that was the end of it. I wouldnt think of seeking thanks or recognition, because that would be pathetic. The next morning there was a nice gift basket of wines and chocolates on my doorstep, but no card. Its the way things should be.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 11:33 am
Suspended

Programs: I miss NW, TW
Originally Posted by BF263533
If a OnePass member resolves an in-flight medical emergency, should OnePass stop fighting a request for missing miles. As a medical professional I know my sister would never raise the issue, but I will. A medical professional should not be looking for any compensation for resolving an in-flight emergency, but the flight crew should thank the person when they exit the plane.
Why not compensation? If I have a heart attack, I would like a doctor to save me and also get paid. If you are in need, Continental will not fly you to another city free.

I think Continental should pay, not for the actual medical service, but for operational advice, such as whether to land or continue. At the very least, some miles.

I read here that some US airlines give miles.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 11:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
I have a good friend who is a doctor and was travelling back from Europe last month. The flight had a coach passenger that had a medical problem, and they asked for any doctors on board. He asked if they could move the passenger to an empty BF seat so that he could examine her. They refused and said that she had to remain in the coach cabin - so they took up to the back gallery and had her lay on the floor???? He also did not get even a thank you - not that he expected it, but it would have been nice.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
I have had the opportunity to render medical assistance any number of times over the years...on United I have always received a personal letter of thanks from the Medical Director of United and $$ certs...on AA a personal letter of thanks from a VP of Operations and a years membership to the Admirals Club...from Southwest a letter of thanks and a pair of free tickets...from Cathay Pacific a very nice personal letter from the CEO and two First Class tickets...from Alaska a nice letter and an aircraft model with my name engraved on the nose...and from CO...well, I received an e-mailed generic thank you from customer service with no signature...sigh!!

As a physician I do not expect to be rewarded for assisting in a medical emergency (and don't get me wrong, I appreciate the generosity shown)...a simple thank you is sufficient...but a generic note...I almost prefer receiving nothing at all!!
Old Dec 8, 2010, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

It is just the irony. You send in your boarding passes within 6 months and don't get credit for missing miles and you have to waste time over paid and earned flight miles that should have been credited in the first place in Sept & Oct of 2009, and Jan 2010. The non-credited miles almost seem not worth pursuing.

The medical emergency just brought up the irony of the situation to me because of the concurrent exchange of e-mails back and forth with CO.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 2:11 pm

Programs: CO OnePass; AAdvantage Dirt; IHG Priority Club Plat; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold; Avis PresPref;
Agree these are two separate issues that should not be conflated.

On the topic of missing miles, the very few times I had to deal with this, it was handled pretty well. Once I had to mail/fax BPs from non-CO carrier and once entered info online for a CO e-ticketed trip.

As to IME responding - have done it several times over the years. Only once did I get a thank you from CO along with some OP miles (forget how many.) Only in the last couple years have I been asked to show my license before providing any care. Most times I was not asked to do any paperwork, but on one or two I was asked to do it. IIRC, a FA told me that any time they open the inflight medical kit they must complete some paperwork. I wonder if that paperwork triggers any kind of tickler to the office that sends a thank you... seems like that would make sense. As with others, my response to the call for assistance was not based on a mileage earning opportunity, but it is nice the be thanked.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 10:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
>>>>He asked if they could move the passenger to an empty BF seat so that he could examine her. They refused and said that she had to remain in the coach cabin>>>>

If true, this is truly pathetic. Any Gold or Silver or paid First would have gladly volunteered to move to coach for the person. (Its a given that a Plat would not)
Old Dec 9, 2010, 2:33 pm

Programs: United Two Million Miler; United 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
I am a physician and have been asked to provide medical assistance on several flights over the years. The only thing I ever got, other than thank yous, was an SWU on United. I do not remember any time that I was not thanked by the staff, and even got applause once after the captain thanked me over the intercom.

The only time I was slightly upset about this was when I was on a paid J from GUM-HNL, and this was only because I spent a good part of the flight in coach with the patient. I did ask jokingly to the flight staff if I would be compensated for the downgrade, and they suggested I call 800-we don't care. I guess I could have called and complained but I did not bother. Whenever medical assistance is provided, the flight attendants take down a lot of my personal information for their reports, so the airlines have the info they need if they wished to give me anything.

It would be nice if physicians got priority boarding, unlimited SWU's, free bags, free in-flight massages, etc, but I that is only MY opinion, and I doubt others would agree.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by bloodyeyeballs

It would be nice if physicians got priority boarding, unlimited SWU's, free bags, free in-flight massages, etc, but I that is only MY opinion, and I doubt others would agree.
It'd be nice if Consultants could get these too then we'd have A380s filled to the gills full of Consultants flying Business/First
Old Dec 9, 2010, 3:20 pm

Certainly seems inconsistent. My wife is an MD and responded to the 'is there a Dr. on board' call on an international CO flight (EWR - FRA). Not a life-threatening emergency, bad hives. She did what she could to help with limited access to meds. No letters but they did drop 12,500 miles in her account a few weeks later. She wasn't expecting anything, but we wondered. She was a bit peeved with the patient/passenger -- this was a condition that was present well before he boarded the plane and wasn't getting any worse, he just wanted some free medical care while on the plane. We were in BF and they certainly did not bring him up, she went back to him. As luck would have it, she is a dermatologist, so the hives were in her domain.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by bloodyeyeballs
As long as those benefits are also extended to a travel companion on the same PNR, I am fully supporting it

Given that the airlines can save a small fortune if a diversion can be avoided, it would only seem reasonable/fair if they showed a bit of gratefulness. And I realize that the flying docs aren't doing it for the benefits they might or might not get out of it.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 5:45 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by zigenbock
I have a good friend who is a doctor and was travelling back from Europe last month. The flight had a coach passenger that had a medical problem, and they asked for any doctors on board. He asked if they could move the passenger to an empty BF seat so that he could examine her. They refused and said that she had to remain in the coach cabin
Some years back I took care of a sick pax in a 777 and the FAs moved us both to the rear BF cabin - which was empty and I was with him for rest of flight then a week later I got a 300 USD certificate in the post. Those were the good CO days and doubt will happen now. That said a year ago on VS I attended to a pax and the FAs gave me a bottle of champagne - the next week when I got back home there was a thank you note waiting for me with a 100 USD certificate.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 6:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by usa18dca
I think the CO Crew should have thanked her or any medical professional who helps during an IME, it's the basic freaking common courtesy anyone can do...unbelievable...
Not saying the OP is incorrect but I would be shocked if the crew did not acknowledge his/her efforts in assisting an ill passenger. I find it hard to believe this was a deliberate action to not thank this person.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA-Perma Plat, Hyatt-Sucks, HHonors - Dia., Marriott - Gold
Absolutely, the two issues are not combinable in any way. I have provided care many many times over the years. there is never any expectation of reward, payment, or indeed thanks. I too have a collection of trinkets and memories of wine.

The vast majority of healthcare professionals seek no status, thanks, or benefit for providing assistance in an emergency.

The floor is as good a place as any to provide care. Those that are put off by that would likely not have emergency care experience.

Typically, my 15 years of non-hospital advanced care experience (plus the fact that I'm required to carry my paperwork with me) puts me as the response lead. I really appreciate it when the responding doc's are honest about their training and experience...sticking around to work as a team. Doc's are invaluable as are the practical equipment-deficient field skills.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.