Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is Continental premium seating?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2010, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

What is Continental premium seating?

I know that Continental has extra legroom seating, is that the same as premium seating? I've found some posts that indicate it's the same as any other economy seat just closer to the front. If that's the case, I rather sit in the back to get less density.

Also, does anyone know how long it takes Continental to be informed of my United elite status. I recently hit premier and booked a Continental codeshare today. I called up to select a premium seat but the Continental CSR said there's no notation of that with the United MP number. I talked to UAL and they said Continental should have been notified in 48 hours. It's past that.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by travfar
I know that Continental has extra legroom seating, is that the same as premium seating?
CO extra leg room seating usually refers to exit row seats. CO 'premium seating' is the same economy seat just closer to the front.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
ELR seating = exit rows & bulkheads
Elite zone seating = everything BETWEEN the bulkhead & the first exit row

CO Gold & Plat can book ELR seating in advance for no charge. Silvers can book ELR at no charge at T-24. There's an upcharge for ELR if you're not elite.

To be clear, elite zone seating is NOT E+. These are simply seats at the front of Y held for Elites until T-24. Primary advantage is the ability to deplane quickly. Otherwise it's basic Y.

The advantage to the elite zone is that if you're on a kettle-heavy route, Rows 22 and up fill up very fast, so if you can book into the EZ, you've at least got a better chance of getting a window or aisle.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 12:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Flyer IAH
CO extra leg room seating usually refers to exit row seats. CO 'premium seating' is the same economy seat just closer to the front.
Not quite.

The "Premium Seating" or "Premium Rows" are the ELR seats. CO is now tagging them as such on their aircraft. This is a shot from a 753:
Old Nov 6, 2010, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Critic
The advantage to the elite zone is that if you're on a kettle-heavy route, Rows 22 and up fill up very fast, so if you can book into the EZ, you've at least got a better chance of getting a window or aisle.
Yes. but it often works the other way around, namely many flights are elite heavy, and it is the elite zone that fills up, leaving everything behind row 22 relatively emptier. In fact, some savvy CO elites will book the first few rows of the "kettle zone" in order to get a little more overhead bag space and even--if they are lucky--an empty seat next to them.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 7:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Critic

To be clear, elite zone seating is NOT E+. These are simply seats at the front of Y held for Elites until T-24. Primary advantage is the ability to deplane quickly. Otherwise it's basic Y.

On some planes, only the elite zones have power outlets.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
Not quite.

The "Premium Seating" or "Premium Rows" are the ELR seats. CO is now tagging them as such on their aircraft. This is a shot from a 753:
Yes, but...

CO's elite seating area, which the OP could refer to as 'premium seating' is just regular coach seats in the front of the plane (not E+). Agree on the new 'tagging', I have seen it for the last few months.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
CO's elite seating area... is just regular coach seats in the front of the plane.
It's ridiculous. It's not anything.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, AA, B6, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
Yes. but it often works the other way around, namely many flights are elite heavy, and it is the elite zone that fills up, leaving everything behind row 22 relatively emptier. In fact, some savvy CO elites will book the first few rows of the "kettle zone" in order to get a little more overhead bag space and even--if they are lucky--an empty seat next to them.
I've done that.

Yes, but...

CO's elite seating area, which the OP could refer to as 'premium seating' is just regular coach seats in the front of the plane (not E+). Agree on the new 'tagging', I have seen it for the last few months.
CO rebranded the seat names when they rolled out ELR. What used to be called Premium Seats are now branded Reserved for Elite Members.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: CO PP, AA EXP, UA 1K, DL DIA
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
That is correct. I was on a recent elite heavey CO flight. I was in first class however my assistant was seated in an elite coach seat. The exit rows and the first few rows were completely full. The rest of the plane was empty.

The flight attendant announced everyone in coach would have to take seats behind the exit rows for weight balance requirements for take off. After take off everyone in coach was allowed to move to other seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.