Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Can I sneak my mother-in-law into Elite Access Check-in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2010, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

My wife and I are sending her mother off to China tomorrow morning at EWR. We have to bring an 8 month old daughter with us and am wondering if I can sneak her into Elite Access line even though she is a non-elite.

Between our daughter and my mother-in-law speaking no English, it would make for a much more stress free check-in process.

Thanks!
Old Nov 4, 2010, 10:05 pm

Programs: United Premier 1k, Avis First, HHonor Diamond, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by ichiroll
My wife and I are sending her mother off to China tomorrow morning at EWR. We have to bring an 8 month old daughter with us and am wondering if I can sneak her into Elite Access line even though she is a non-elite.

Between our daughter and my mother-in-law speaking no English, it would make for a much more stress free check-in process.

Thanks!
If you are traveling together she can accompany you. If not, then they generally will not allow it.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
Go for it. I once brought 4 non-elite coworkers on board with me and the GA didn't say a word. I do it every time I fly with someone with no status.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 3:56 am

Programs: CO Platinum
I do it all of the time with non-elite co-workers. A poster here mentioned to just hand the boarding passes yourself to the gate agent (with the elite access BP facing up). Have never had a problem.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 4:10 am

Programs: UA-Perma Plat, Hyatt-Sucks, HHonors - Dia., Marriott - Gold
It doesn't look like OP is one of the travelers so no... a sneak is highly unlikely.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 6:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP

Thanks!
Checkin, security or boarding?
Old Nov 5, 2010, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
for check-in? its all kiosks, you'd have to beg to talk to a human; I don't think the kiosks are programmed to reject non-elites.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 7:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by entropy
for check-in? its all kiosks, you'd have to beg to talk to a human; I don't think the kiosks are programmed to reject non-elites.
In EWR's there is usually a human asking if you're elite when you walk into line, but they don't make you prove it.
The elite security line is a crap shoot. Some of the time the maroon coats ask, sometimes they don't. Sometimes they allow people from the non-elite line in to "even it out"
Boarding is the only place where they will probably enforce it if you're not traveling with someone who is elite.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 10:22 am

Programs: UA 1K/COPlat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Platinum
In my experience, when you "look elite" i.e. dress biz or biz casual, and look like you know what you're doing, the red coats leave you alone.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 10:44 am

Years ago at CLE when I had a mainline flight to DCA by myself (yes, that long ago) the terminal was unexpectedly busy, my dad used his elite access card to get me into that line. The rep said with a certain look to her face "who is traveling today?" but she let it go through, while at the same time subtly advising that's not how the line is supposed to work.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 11:11 am

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
If you are traveling with her then its no problem at all.
If you are NOT traveling with her then:
For checking in it is usually not a big deal;
For the security line it may be an issue and for the boarding it is more likely to be a NO. I would suggest you ask the check in person (very nicely) for a gate pass to walk your frail mother in law (make sure she looks the part) to the gate and they usually say yes; then you could flash your elite card (and I assume you are elite) in security and then she could board earlier (because she is frail and needs more time);
You could also request for a wheelchair to take her to the gates and that usually gets you the VIP treatment.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, UA 1K, SPG Plat, Yfirst gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis Plat.
Red face

I tried to sneak my mother in law through once, but for the broomstick it would have worked
Old Nov 5, 2010, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies.

I know I can do it if I were traveling with her, but knew my odds were against me since I am not. The 2nd floor non-elite check-in had maybe 10 people in line at 9:15 or so this morning, so we just stayed there and got her checked in pretty quick.

The security lines had hardly any people in line neither. Is today some holiday that I don't know about??
Old Nov 5, 2010, 7:41 pm

Programs: MS Plat, AOR ninja
Thanks for all the replies.

I know I can do it if I were traveling with her, but knew my odds were against me since I am not. The 2nd floor non-elite check-in had maybe 10 people in line at 9:15 or so this morning, so we just stayed there and got her checked in pretty quick.

The security lines had hardly any people in line neither. Is today some holiday that I don't know about??
Yes, it is the Star MegaDO. Everyone is in PHX/SEA!!!
Old Nov 5, 2010, 8:16 pm

Programs: Continetnal Silver
Some very funny commets could be made

Some very funny commets could be made such as:
No let her stay in the regular line maybe she will not make the flight and you will be without a mother in law for the whole trip... but I see that you care about her too much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.