Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Is there a reason there can't be a better way to board?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there a reason there can't be a better way to board?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2010, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by pptp
The whole point of the thread was to alleviate the congestion caused specifically by elite heavy boarding. Doing it by level does not accomplish anything toward this end. Only by-row does. Like I said, if you don't want to do it by row then why even bother changing anything because it will still be a cluster-pluck in the aisle.

Might as well just leave it like it is.
Zone is still better. There is no reason why WiLMA could not be applied to the elite sub-group. This would create a couple more zones, but would still be better than the old-school row technique CO uses.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
Zone is still better. There is no reason why WiLMA could not be applied to the elite sub-group. This would create a couple more zones, but would still be better than the old-school row technique CO uses.
Okay, I have to ask. What does WiLMA stand for? I get "Wi"ndow, "M"iddle, "A"isle, but what's the "l' for?
Old Nov 2, 2010, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ssullivan
Okay, I have to ask. What does WiLMA stand for? I get "Wi"ndow, "M"iddle, "A"isle, but what's the "l' for?
I assumed I was the only one who couldn't figure it out!
Old Nov 2, 2010, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
Which is exactly the idea I suggested 20 or so posts ago.

By the time check-in opens at T-24, the CO computers would have a good idea of the Elite load on any given flight. Why not insert an algorithm into the process that analyzes pax load and aircraft size at T-24:30 and, assuming a flight is suitably Elite-heavy, generates a WILMA-based zone boarding plan for Elites without regard to status? Elites load first in a three-zone configuration, then non-elites by row from back to front.

I know I've never been more than a lowly Silver, so maybe I'm in no position to see status-based boarding as a 'diluted perk', but I'll reiterate a point I made earlier: If I'm in a window, and the aisle seat in my row is taken by a plat/gold, I'll have to wait for that pax (and maybe his/her companion) to get up and step out into the aisle before I can sit down. This creates an unnecessary traffic jam in the aisle which could be easily alleviated with WILMA-style loading.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 1:03 am

Programs: BMI Silver
I will probably get flamed for this but I think part of the problem is the amount of carry-ons and the size people bring on with them. This means that there isn't enough bin space for everyone. If people were restrict to one item each or you get one item under the seat (unless you are in a bulkhead or exit row) and one overhead. I also think everyone crowds the gate trying to get on first. The is not going with you if you wait your turn.

I still remember a nightmare experience from EWR-SAN flight with my baby after flying in from Ireland. It was very Elite heavy we had to wait until all of them fought to get on board. Then get gate check pram, get on with a baby and my one bag filled with toys, nappies, documents etc and a collapsible nursing pillow. We were in the bulkhead. By the time we got one the aisles were jammed and the bins were filled. I had to store my nappy bag about 10 rows away. That meant the other then the one toy and nappy I had in the seat pocket to go back several rows with an infant every time I need something for her. Not too mention trying to get her sorted with the aisles jammed and people pushing past. Nightmare. I think zones is a good ideas. Not too mention people should prepare what they need access to during the flight so the can get on quickly and move to their seats efficiently.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 5:39 am

Programs: UA 1K and 1 Million Miles, Marriott Plat Premier and LT Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by chasbondy
It's about the only benefit Silvers have
Silvers get free baggage and discounts to join PC
Old Nov 3, 2010, 6:45 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
There's the other solution of earlier boarding. I understand this isn't always possible when you have late arriving crew, etc., but when the crew is in place and the plane has been serviced, why wait until 35 or 45 minutes out (depending on aircraft size)? I've been at the gate several times an hour before flight time when the plane was there, the crew was on, no one was at the counter, and the GA was looking at her watch waiting for the appropriate boarding time. You could then space out the boarding, so each group would be on the plane before the next group started down. All that the current process accomplishes now is determining what order people stand in the jetway.

With spaced-out boarding, the FA's would also have a chance to go down the aisle and take smaller bags out of the bins and ask passengers to put them under their seat.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by princessyoga
I will probably get flamed for this but I think part of the problem is the amount of carry-ons and the size people bring on with them. This means that there isn't enough bin space for everyone. If people were restrict to one item each or you get one item under the seat (unless you are in a bulkhead or exit row) and one overhead. I also think everyone crowds the gate trying to get on first. The is not going with you if you wait your turn. ....
I understand your concern, but I don't see an Elite baggage problem. Elites board quickly, know where/how to stow their stuff and be seated and rarely walk aimlessly down the aisle, clueless about where they're going or what they need to do.

One of the essential perks of being an Elite should be looser bag rules - not unlimited stuff, but certainly two items and not size-boxing the items. If the items fit in the overhead without taking space from other customers, they should be allowed. I rarely see Elites take advantage of this (although I have seen a few), but it's the Kettles that are dragging multiple items or HUGE bags down the aisle.

Yes it sounds entitling, but after 75K+ miles and many thousands more than the average Kettle spends flying each year, I should be entitled to a reasonable amount of flexibility. If push comes to shove, and bags need to be gate checked, it's the non-Elite bags that should be sent downstairs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.