FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   Is there a reason there can't be a better way to board? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/1142858-there-reason-there-cant-better-way-board.html)

Bushdog Nov 1, 2010 8:41 am

Is there a reason there can't be a better way to board?

I've just boarded 1702 EWR to SFO and I note 61 in the upgrade standby and F (20 seats) totally full. So that's at least 81 people with Elite Access. Would it really be so offensive in situations like this to board elites by row, back to front? Of course board F first. But for steerage it might help.

belynch Nov 1, 2010 8:51 am

It's been discussed a few times that on elite-heavy flights a lot of folks feel they should board by status (and I agree with this).

Some agents do it, but in my experience it's very few and far between.

It's a pretty bad start to a trip when you board during the EA call and have to gate-check your absolutely will fit vertically in the overhead carry-on bag. :rolleyes:

gawhite411 Nov 1, 2010 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Bushdog (Post 15051932)
I've just boarded 1702 EWR to SFO and I note 61 in the upgrade standby and F (20 seats) totally full. So that's at least 81 people with Elite Access. Would it really be so offensive in situations like this to board elites by row, back to front? Of course board F first. But for steerage it might help.

In that situation, I think boarding by status would be appropriate. First F, then Plats, then Golds, then Silvers, then UA elites then handicapped then coach by rows.

Alternatively, same order but in each metal category board back to front.

entropy Nov 1, 2010 9:15 am

Or they could do like UA does and reserve the boarding lane for 1K, GS, F and C.

Then they let the lesser elites and *G board. why not.

chasbondy Nov 1, 2010 9:21 am

It's about the only benefit Silvers have

entropy Nov 1, 2010 9:27 am

silvers get to preselect a seat in the Elite section of coach!

channa Nov 1, 2010 9:40 am

Originally Posted by entropy (Post 15052141)
Or they could do like UA does and reserve the boarding lane for 1K, GS, F and C.

Then they let the lesser elites and *G board. why not.

The DL method allows only Golds and up to use the SkyPriority lane. I think DL was suffering from the same issue that's reported here on CO, so the reduced who's eligible to pre-board.

HoustonConsultant Nov 1, 2010 9:47 am

As much as I avoid SouthWest at all costs, their lineup system does seem to work (at least as I view it from afar). I hear people generally self police relatively well.

A section for first, a section for elites, a section for others from back to front.

I love boarding by elite status, but that is because I'm plat, and I'm sure Golds and Silvers would like it less.

chiph Nov 1, 2010 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Bushdog (Post 15051932)

It's actually more than 81 if you count non-UA/CO *Gs.

EWR764 Nov 1, 2010 10:13 am

These are precisely the situation in which CO gate agents (at one point) were instructed to board flights by status.

Has this policy (if it were indeed) been retracted? If it has not, CO absolutely needs to do a better job of informing its agents.

pptp Nov 1, 2010 10:43 am

If there are over X amt of elites it should go: FC, elites by row, special services PAX then regular by row.

The biggest problem with boarding elites, any time there is more than a few, is that they are often sitting towards the front so it creates a giant bottleneck. This is exacerbated when there are many of them. By row would make it go smoothly.

SunLover Nov 1, 2010 11:45 am

Originally Posted by pptp (Post 15052746)
The biggest problem with boarding elites, any time there is more than a few, is that they are often sitting towards the front so it creates a giant bottleneck. This is exacerbated when there are many of them. By row would make it go smoothly.

Oh yes; ran into this boarding at RSW heading for EWR yesterday.

I was in an exit row/no carry on, and headed to board the plane casually after the elite boarding announcement. Well after what seemed to be forever I actually got on to the plane and saw the issue; 90% of the elite section was already seated. And given the speed that seasoned citizens tend to move :D it was no wonder the huge bottleneck formed at the beginning of the coach section.

SunLover

dweick Nov 1, 2010 2:43 pm

There should be a super class who should always be permitted to board first, people who know how to board quickly, move out of the aisle and aren't carrying a steamer trunk.

Qualification test with your license revokable on a first "slow offense".

Most elites and FC passengers would be unable to qualify.

The lame, feeble, and slow witted should board and exit last regardless of status or fare paid.

RNE Nov 1, 2010 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 15052541)
These are precisely the situation in which CO gate agents (at one point) were instructed to board flights by status.

Vapor policy?

Originally Posted by belynch (Post 15051994)
Some agents do it, but in my experience it's very few and far between.

The gate cyborgs should follow their programming. If there really is a policy on this, I'd like to see the chapter and verse.

Originally Posted by entropy (Post 15052202)
silvers get to preselect a seat in the Elite section of coach!

"Get to"? You make it seem like the elite section isn't a crowded mess best avoided. :rolleyes: Or was that sarcasm? :)

Originally Posted by pptp (Post 15052746)
The biggest problem with boarding elites, any time there is more than a few, is that they are often sitting towards the front so it creates a giant bottleneck.

Case closed. :cool:

Bushdog Nov 1, 2010 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by chiph (Post 15052390)
It's actually more than 81 if you count non-UA/CO *Gs.

As well as credit card holders. Shockingly, the 35 minutes wasn't enough and we went a few minutes over. I'd bet many of the policies folks here suggest would shave a few minutes off of full flights.