Polynesian Pub ?

Old Oct 24, 10, 4:16 pm

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1 View Post
Yes, all brilliant. But instead of going through all this trouble, I would suggest leasing a good G5...
Or, referencing my latest complimentary copy of Business & Commercial Aviation (the Oct. issue that is brought to us by the fine folks at "Aviation Week & Space Technology"), the new Gulfstream G650!

Now, there's an airplane!

But, alas, I cannot afford such a lavish sky chariot (I'm approaching retirement, you understand), so I'll have to continue to console myself with my fairly new BMW M3 along with my dear old Lexus RX 350 as a back up (let it be known that I really like automobiles and have so far been able to pay for what I like - that is, so far)....

And, of course, still try for the upgrades on CO and UA........
Old Oct 24, 10, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
Or, referencing my latest complimentary copy of Business & Commercial Aviation (the Oct. issue that is brought to us by the fine folks at "Aviation Week & Space Technology"), the new Gulfstream G650!

Now, there's an airplane!
That's nutin'!

If you're gonna go whole hog (pun intended, of course), then you have to have an....A380 VIP Saloon...the ultimate private jet...

Operating costs slightly in excess of the national debt...

Old Oct 24, 10, 4:36 pm

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
That's nutin'!

If you're gonna go whole hog (pun intended, of course), then you have to have an....A380 VIP Saloon...the ultimate private jet...

Operating costs slightly in excess of the national debt...

I'm sure we shall see one or more of these "corporate" A380s delivered to "private" interests in the Gulf States and/or the Saudi Arabian peninsula....

And these "private" interests will operate them until the oil & gas revenue runs out....

Good Lord, and I thought Hugh Hefner was bad when he took delivery of a brand new DC-9-30 ("Bunny One") in Long Beach all those years ago......
Old Oct 24, 10, 4:44 pm

Location: Various tier levels of frequent flyer/hotel plans received for bellyaching about minor flaws in the service I received.
I took three of those "pub" flights in 1993: HNL - GUM / DPS -GUM - HNL. Once the flight hit cruising altitude they announced "the pub is open!" Right around that time was when CO was introducing BusinessFirst. In contrast to that version of BusinessFirst, most anyone would be glad to see the pub go. While the concept was great, it was VERY dated, and no thought had been put into it since someone vomited orange and red all over the walls and covered the three barstools with red pleather.
Old Oct 24, 10, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm sure we shall see one or more of these "corporate" A380s delivered to "private" interests in the Gulf States and/or the Saudi Arabian peninsula....

And these "private" interests will operate them until the oil & gas revenue runs out....

Good Lord, and I thought Hugh Hefner was bad when he took delivery of a brand new DC-9-30 ("Bunny One") in Long Beach all those years ago......
My favorite touch is the economy-style cabin for the sub-peons at the back of the (air)bus...must be a pretty cr*ppy feeling to be sitting in a regular ole' airline seat knowing that the Sheik of Araby ahead is sleeping in sybaritic, imperial comfort in his King-size bed...one of four bedrooms on board.

The sad thing is that, for all the outrageous excess, it's probably cheaper than some co-op apartments on Park Avenue...
Old Oct 24, 10, 6:03 pm
RNE

Programs: UA Electrum, Crown&Anchor Diamond, CaptainsCircle Platinum
This is a Pan Am lounge from 2001...
Old Oct 24, 10, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RNE View Post
This is a Pan Am lounge from 2001...
Hal, open the pod bay door...

Hal, open the pod bay door...

Hal?

-Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

No? OK, how about getting me that EUA?

-You're kidding, right?
Old Oct 24, 10, 7:56 pm

Well, way back in the day, I got to take a look inside Mr. Hefner's DC-9-30 when I lived near SBA. The aircraft was parked at SBA Aviation and I also got to meet Hugh.

The airplane on the outside was painted black. For which, as I understand it, Hugh had get approval from the FAA.

The inside was something else: part disco party pad, part flying film screening room. Oh, there was a really big king sized bedroom as well (for sleeping on long flights, I think........).

It was a really cool airplane, and I'm glad I had the opportunity to see it and meet Hugh.

Old Oct 24, 10, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, way back in the day, I got to take a look inside Mr. Hefner's DC-9-30 when I lived near SBA. The aircraft was parked at SBA Aviation and I also got to meet Hugh.

The airplane on the outside was painted black. For which, as I understand it, Hugh had get approval from the FAA.

The inside was something else: part disco party pad, part flying film screening room. Oh, there was a really big king sized bedroom as well (for sleeping on long flights, I think........).

It was a really cool airplane, and I'm glad I had the opportunity to see it and meet Hugh.

I once did an documentary on Donald Trump and we got to shoot inside his 727...it had winglets and, of course, the gaudy Trump interior...I know he put up for sale recently...I'm not sure if there have been any takers...

http://www.controller.com/listingsde...VE/1175026.htm
Old Oct 24, 10, 8:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

i wish i would have flown one of those flights. Would have been a great way to remember CO
Old Oct 29, 10, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was browsing the web and came upon this:

A "coach" lounge on AA's 747...simply amazing.

You can't see it in this ad, but their coach lounge had a piano:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ruthann/2267801838/
Old Oct 29, 10, 8:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

thanks for sharing. I love to hear the stories from the old timers.
Old Oct 29, 10, 9:18 pm

Programs: One Pass
Originally Posted by mike_asia View Post
the wikipedia pages of CO show a 'Polynesian Pub'.

Is this for real? If so did anyone have personal experience on this?

Continental flight 27, DC10. In 1989, I flew the EWR/SFO/HNL portion seat 4B eating chateau breaund(?) carved seat side for dinner then enjoyed the "pub" in the section between 1st. class and coach. That flight continued to MEL. Good times!
Old Oct 30, 10, 8:03 am

I was browsing the web and came upon this:

A "coach" lounge on AA's 747...simply amazing.

You can't see it in this ad, but their coach lounge had a piano:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ruthann/2267801838/
I experienced the AA coach lounge on the 747 back in 1971 from SFO to ORD.....

That was a long time ago (I had just graduated from high school) but I do remember that it was quite nice as the flight was not full that day in Y.

I also connected to this AA 747 flight via SFO Helicopter Airlines from OAK. Rotorcraft was a Sikorsky S-61. This was my first flight in a helicopter. I also remember there was an unbelievably low joint fare offered, which I think was less than $20 one way for the SFO Helicopter flight......
Old Dec 13, 10, 1:16 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
I logged quite a few thousand miles aboard Continental back when Bob Six ran it as the best domestic airline in America. I am happy to provide a few photos that might shed further light on the topic of Continental's lounges:

Continental's DC-10-10 with both First and Coach Class lounges

Continental's Polynesian Pub aboard the DC-10

Continental's Beautiful 747-124 with three lounges

The Oceania Lounge upstairs on the 747

Flying sure was a lot nicer back then!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: