Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Polynesian Pub ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2010, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

Flying sure was a lot nicer back then!
Indeed...I wish I flew in the 70s then...
Old Dec 13, 2010, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, UA 1K, SPG Plat, Yfirst gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis Plat.
I got to travel to Dubai on an Emirates A380, The experience in the bar on board was amazing. hanging out chatting to other passengers and enjoying a cocktail made a 12 hour flight seem like 2 or 3 hours. I hope it was not the last time I get to enjoy a flight like that.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CO DCA
I took three of those "pub" flights in 1993: HNL - GUM / DPS -GUM - HNL. Once the flight hit cruising altitude they announced "the pub is open!" Right around that time was when CO was introducing BusinessFirst. In contrast to that version of BusinessFirst, most anyone would be glad to see the pub go. While the concept was great, it was VERY dated, and no thought had been put into it since someone vomited orange and red all over the walls and covered the three barstools with red pleather.
Yeah, that's "the Pub" I remember from the '90s. It was WAY past its prime and was obviously a neglected concept.

From what I can tell, the "golden age" of on-board lounges lasted all of a decade or so. Almost a split-second in the history of commercial aviatin. Blink and they were gone!

I suspect pubs/bars will live on at some of the fancier/hipper foreign airlines in a limited way, but the concept is dead as a doornail as far as the US carriers go. They simply don't make economic sense.

And, frankly, I think most pax would prefer an extra inch or two of legroom and a better AVOD system at their seat than a "lounge."

Although leaving a few snacks and beverages by the galley on a long int'l flight still seems like a winning service concept to me!
Old Dec 14, 2010, 5:00 am

Programs: UA 1MM, UA 1K, SPG Plat, Yfirst gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis Plat.
I suspect pubs/bars will live on at some of the fancier/hipper foreign airlines in a limited way, [/QUOTE]

Not sure I would class Emirates as hipper
Old Dec 14, 2010, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by infomark
Not sure I would class Emirates as hipper
Yeah, they fit the "fancier" model. Aren't they also the ones with FC showers on the 380? Over-the-top oil wealth I guess.

The rest of us are just happy with a few on-demand movies to watch and a real-time route map.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 11:41 am
jyh

I was lucky enough to enjoy the Pub for a year or so

on the IAH/LAX route in the DC10. On one trip my wife and I and our three small children were seated in the sofa in the Pub for the entire flight which made for a great trip.

Those were some great days.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jyh
on the IAH/LAX route in the DC10. On one trip my wife and I and our three small children were seated in the sofa in the Pub for the entire flight which made for a great trip.

Those were some great days.
Yeah, somehow I got seated there, too, once. I think at the end, they just started selling the seats, instead of leaving them open for "mingling."
Old Dec 16, 2010, 7:54 am
Suspended
Original Poster

really some great stories, keep them coming.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.