Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unusual "guest" flight attendant

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2010, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rlbmorton
I hope you don't expect strangers to point out to you when your kids are being a problem. Come on, the FA should have known this was annoying and not have allowed. Full stop.
I take full responsibility for my children. i hope oters will do the same, but I sadly, cannot expect it. Again, sometimes you do what you have to, not what you should do.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Paging COInsider...what exactly is CO's policy with regard to free child labor?
Old Jul 28, 2010, 4:10 am

Programs: OnePass Platinum, *G, Amex Plat, Priority Pass Prestige, Costa Coffee Loyalty Card
If this happened to me, whether I was in F or Y, I would be extremely upset about it. The behaviour of the FA's kid (while the FA is on duty) = behaviour of the FA (as far as I'm concerned).

I'd be expecting significant credit/reimbursement as compensation, just as I would as if the FA had been behaving inappropriately.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 6:02 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I wonder if we would all be reacting this way if this had happened on Southwest? Or JetBlue? The reason I ask is that there are numerous YouTube videos of their FA's doing announcements in rap, etc. Anyone ever fly on Hooters? There was a "Hooters girl" on the flight (not in an FA capacity) whose sole responsibility seemed to be to run up and down the aisle demonstrating how gravity works.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by MelesMeles
I'd be expecting significant credit/reimbursement as compensation, just as I would as if the FA had been behaving inappropriately.
I did not request and will not expect compensation. Not really what I was looking for. Just wanted it to stop in the future.

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Anyone ever fly on Hooters? There was a "Hooters girl" on the flight (not in an FA capacity) whose sole responsibility seemed to be to run up and down the aisle demonstrating how gravity works.
Actually, yes, I did. Quite a few times, as they had the most convenient schedule out of my local airport.

The difference was, the flights were not at 6am!!! They were at ~1,2,3,4PM! Oh how I miss that airline! (For the schedules! )
Old Jul 28, 2010, 6:18 am

Programs: OnePass Platinum, *G, Amex Plat, Priority Pass Prestige, Costa Coffee Loyalty Card
Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
I did not request and will not expect compensation. Not really what I was looking for. Just wanted it to stop in the future.
Then you're a better man than I.

Honestly, though, I would definitely feel that I was not receiving the product I paid for. Continental, like other airlines, markets their F cabin as a "product", and when I receive other products that don't match what I reasonably expect, I return the product and ask for a refund. Since you can't "return" a flight, all you can do is ask that you be paid some compensation to make up the difference between the product paid for and the product received.

Still, hopefully you get a satisfactory response from CO. If your letter ensures that this doesn't happen to any of us, then I thank you.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 7:08 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Bingo!

Originally Posted by zippypinhead
And in all of this, nobody has brought up the child labor laws...
Exactly. I am not an expert in labor law, but it seems to me that CO, by the actions of its FA(s) on this flight has opened itself to significant liability.

As a manager, I am trained to look at all events and distinguish and anticipate the ones that bring liabilities to the firm.

With that being said, I don't see how CO will NOT terminate this FA. Not because anything bad happened, but because not terminating the employee might send the wrong message to the rest of the employees, further opening CO to more liability.

What happened on that flight was clearly not just a momentary joke or moment of indulgence. It sounds like the kid was truly working and helping out, which, given his age, would be against the law.

IMO, if CO gets the details of this event, and after consulting with its counsel/compliance, the employee should be terminated. I know I would if I could.

My 2 cents from the peanut gallery.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 7:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
You are ALL off-base.

Continental and United are both training employees' kids to work as crew so they can operate the E-170/190 aircraft the merged airline will order post-merger. It's a CHANGE in stafffing expected to yield substantial cost benefits for the airline and service quality enhancements for the customer.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
You are ALL off-base.

Continental and United are both training employees' kids to work as crew so they can operate the E-170/190 aircraft the merged airline will order post-merger. It's a CHANGE in stafffing expected to yield substantial cost benefits for the airline and service quality enhancements for the customer.
The next initiative is to recruit volunteers from the PAX cabin to fill FA positions.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 7:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by pptp
The next initiative is to recruit volunteers from the PAX cabin to fill FA positions.
I'm qualified. I even got to do the safety demo on the StarMegaDo flight last year.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 8:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA
My guess is that this is probably a violation of FAA policy as well.

Ever notice one of the exit row questions is whether you're traveling with a child under the age of 15. If you do, you can't sit in the exit row because it violates FAR 121.585:

"(i) A condition or responsibilities, such as caring for small children, that might prevent the person from performing one or more of the applicable functions listed in paragraph (d) of this section; or..."

The thought behind this being that you're more likely to be worried about the welfare of your child than to spend your time assisting with the evacuation of the plane. I would be *shocked* if there isn't a similar regulation that applies to working flight attendants...
Old Jul 28, 2010, 8:41 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Originally Posted by Bushdog
I take full responsibility for my children. i hope oters will do the same, but I sadly, cannot expect it. Again, sometimes you do what you have to, not what you should do.
Otters are very caring parents.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 9:30 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
You are ALL off-base.

that makes excellent cents to me.

but it seems they might not have correctly calculated an opportunity cost here since one must be 18 to serve alcohol and that will surely impact that little revenue stream.

or maybe they realize that more pax will just do what I do and bring their own booze aboard.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 11:18 am
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Section 107
that makes excellent cents to me.

but it seems they might not have correctly calculated an opportunity cost here since one must be 18 to serve alcohol and that will surely impact that little revenue stream.

or maybe they realize that more pax will just do what I do and bring their own booze aboard.
Isn't that illegal?
Old Jul 28, 2010, 2:04 pm

Programs: CO Pres. Plat, SPG
Originally Posted by pptp
Give me a couple of vouchers for RT F flights and I'd be happy to serve drinks on my random, short connecting flights in those tiny ERJs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.