Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Continental tests 'self-boarding' at Houston airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Continental tests 'self-boarding' at Houston airport

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2010, 10:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
Originally Posted by It's Me!
Maybe we can get a self service galley on the plane too.
All the bread and water you want
Old Jul 27, 2010, 10:10 am

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Can one pre-purchase restroom access at the self-boarding gates now?
Old Jul 27, 2010, 10:47 am

Programs: UA Gold, OZ silver,
Originally Posted by rkkwan
I know, but...

I also like airports like HKG where airlines can have 5-6 pretty young bodies standing there at each gate to scan boarding passes.
I have never had the GA's at E4 all line up and take a bow before boarding like the Asiana crew at HKG! ^
Old Jul 27, 2010, 10:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
>>>>I also like airports like HKG where airlines can have 5-6 pretty young bodies>>>>

I hope you mean females and I'm glad SWA doesnt fly to HKG
Old Jul 27, 2010, 11:14 am

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
I prefer a trap door opening.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 11:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Serious question - are these gates designed to block non-Elites from the EA line and stop people from passing the gate until their row number has been called?

If not, it's just creating chaos.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 11:50 am

Programs: CO Plat, Marriott Plat
And when the gate doesn't open and the passenger stands there with a dumb expression like "what do I do now". How long will that line continue to grow.

It is like asking the people on a Newark/NY bound plane to stay seated so that connecting passengers can get off. It ain't going to be pretty.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 11:59 am

Programs: Cattle Class
Also what would happen if person is not CO elite but *G.
Let's say I'm *G (from SK) and using my CO FPP# for my trip(to get miles to my CO account).
My boarding pass will not have *G but I still should be able to board with all the CO Elites.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:02 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Ethicist
And when the gate doesn't open and the passenger stands there with a dumb expression like "what do I do now". How long will that line continue to grow.

It is like asking the people on a Newark/NY bound plane to stay seated so that connecting passengers can get off. It ain't going to be pretty.
I like the trap door or groin-kick idea or maybe a bunch of electrically-charged skin-piercing needles that poke out instead of the gate opening, but short of doing something that could potentially raise the ire of personal injury lawyers, I'd think a clear, electronic voice that says the following would do the trick:

1) Sorry, this line is for Elite Access customers only. Please step aside and use the general boarding line

2) Sorry, we're currently only boarding rows xx-xx. Please step aside and be comfortably seated in the gate area until your boarding priority has been called
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
I was boarding an Air India flight in BOM a week ago and they called rows 1-6. 100 people got up and got into line. When the shuttle buses we got on got to the plane, I was one of 3 people of the 100ish that actually had a seat in rows 1-6.

But, I figure a big red light and a loud buzzer along with an "exit" lane for those not eligible to board yet should be enough social penalty to keep people from boarding before they are supposed to. That's actually a big advantage of automation - when customers deal with employees, they get mad if the employee enforces policy. "Why are you being mean to me?" But if the customer is dealing with a machine, they expect the machine to rigidly enforce the policy because they expect the machine to be "dumb".
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
...I'd think a clear, electronic voice that says the following would do the trick:

1) Sorry, this line is for Elite Access customers only. Please step aside and use the general boarding line

2) Sorry, we're currently only boarding rows xx-xx. Please step aside and be comfortably seated in the gate area until your boarding priority has been called
Not gonna happen.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
Not gonna happen.
There better be some way to handle these issues - or as I wrote, there will be chaos.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA; Amtrak
Anyone who has patronized a supermarket, library, or other venue featuring self-service lines knows that reality is slow.

The 3 minutes I save in the shorter grocery checkout line is eaten up with 3 extra minutes of locating barcodes and canceling accidental double-scans and the aggravation of error beeps. Don't even get me started on tourists and subway/metro faregates. And with electronic bp's, there will be zoom fiddling and screen protector wiping time for Kettlephone du jour.

Of course, this is mainly about reducing personnel costs, not speeding up the boarding process. But as with IVR, checkin kiosks, and OLCI, I don't feel any need to be an early adopter.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 6:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by chasbondy
All they need is a groin puncher for those who board before their row is called
And an electronic shield around the whole area in front of the gates until the boarding actually starts. No more gate lice. This will become more important after the UA merger. UA gate lice are insane even on the red carpet.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
I was on a flight a few weeks ago at E4. I tried to use it but without luck. You have to drag a carryon thru the thing. Too much trouble. Anyway one of the GA is wife of friend of mine and I have known her a long time. I reminded her about the time her and her future husband got blitzed at my employers Xmas party. she has settled down since then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.