Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Continental tests 'self-boarding' at Houston airport

Old Jul 26, 2010, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/fligh...tinental_N.htm
Old Jul 26, 2010, 3:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...g-process.html
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...united-states/
Old Jul 26, 2010, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It does seem rather inefficient to pay a person to stand there and scan each passengers boarding pass when most of them could scan them on their own.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by ijgordon
It does seem rather inefficient to pay a person to stand there and scan each passengers boarding pass when most of them could scan them on their own.
I know, but...

I also like airports like HKG where airlines can have 5-6 pretty young bodies standing there at each gate to scan boarding passes. Well, keep unemployment low. All we need is lower minimum wage and less benefits.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I can only hope that this will keep people with over-sized Carry on luggage from getting it on board.

Also it could help keep fat people off the plane
Old Jul 26, 2010, 9:59 pm
ucc

Huh? Is this a good news for the IAH-based MR-ers?
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
I would love it if a loud buzzer will go off when someone tries to board before his/her row is called; or a peasant trying to walk the blue carpet.

Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:26 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by rkkwan
I would love it if a loud buzzer will go off when someone tries to board before his/her row is called; or a peasant trying to walk the blue carpet.

Perhaps a mild electric shock, to aid in memory formation.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Originally Posted by jadenus
^
Old Jul 27, 2010, 6:38 am

Location: Various tier levels of frequent flyer/hotel plans received for bellyaching about minor flaws in the service I received.
As noted in the article Lufthansa has this. My experience has been that it is AWFUL. A huge elbow throwing scrum develops around the self boarding gates which no one ever seems to be able to use properly.

I can just see this at CO: as a group of self entitled people without elite access try to board, jam up the line, and have to either be processed through or backed out of the line (yes I know this happens now, but there's someone there).

With Lufthansa, I've always used the "manual" line which is typically very empty since everyone seems to want to go through the gates.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CO DCA
As noted in the article Lufthansa has this. My experience has been that it is AWFUL. A huge elbow throwing scrum develops around the self boarding gates which no one ever seems to be able to use properly.
I guess it depends on the execution of the technology. Some subway turnstiles are easier to use than others, for example.

I can just see this at CO: as a group of self entitled people without elite access try to board, jam up the line, and have to either be processed through or backed out of the line (yes I know this happens now, but there's someone there).
It shouldn't be too difficult to have the gates reject any inelligible BPs based on rows called. The GA would announce that the gates will not accept your BP until your row is called. The only problem would be non-elite companions boarding with the elite member, but I guess they could go to the manual line.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 8:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CO DCA
My experience on LH was quite different. I used it on my last FRA-JFK flight and had no problems at all. Certainly no scrum at the gates.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by jadenus
ZAAAAP!
Old Jul 27, 2010, 9:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
All they need is a groin puncher for those who board before their row is called
Old Jul 27, 2010, 9:55 am

Maybe we can get a self service galley on the plane too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.