Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fare class R, but no upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2010, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
R available but no upgrade.

Now I have the situation that R for a flight next Sat evening opened up today (3 days ahead), and no one upgraded at the T-72 hour mark. Same number of seats are still booked in F both before and after EUA - so I know no one was upgraded.

(And I am not just checking seat maps, I know how to check for true status).

So why wasn't I upgraded - unless CO disabled (by one means or another) the EUA run for this time slot. I am the only person on the flight sitting in any of the exit rows or row 7 on a 753.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 5:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cova
Same number of seats are still booked in F both before and after EUA - so I know no one was upgraded.
So why wasn't I upgraded - unless CO disabled (by one means or another) the EUA run for this time slot.
I'm not disputing that every eligible elite doesn't get upgraded at each sweep. I'm disputing your version of how CO handles it on the back end. My conversations with folks inside the company suggested to me that the R inventory can be dynamically altered around the EUA sweep. Someone requesting a mileage upgrade at that time would also have no availability.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
My conversations with folks inside the company suggested to me that the R inventory can be dynamically altered around the EUA sweep. Someone requesting a mileage upgrade at that time would also have no availability.
My conversations with folks inside the company indicated that EUA can be disabled for a given flight, but in this case a mileage upgrade could be processed at EUA time.

We just don't know the actual mechanism. But needless to say - regardless of the mechanism, R availability before EUA time does not guarantee that anyone will be upgraded. In the end - the result is the same.

Let me add - I have seen in the past R go to zero before EUA time, then re-enabled after EUA time - but the amount of time was a few hours, not instantaneously.

I am checking continuously around EUA time on R availability for my example situation, but I could certainly miss it if the time was say 1 second.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 8:08 pm

BTW - with only one R seat on the flight for Sat evening - I cleared.

Was 20/24 sold, with 1 R seat. Now 21/24 since I cleared. I suspect I was the only Plat - since row 7 on 753 and all exit rows were vacant even though flight is almost completely full.

So tonight at T-48 hours - the 1 R seat cleared. Last night at T-96 - the 1 R seat did not clear. No way to predict?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.