Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase CO 25,000 bonus w/ checking sign-up

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2010, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by mgcho
If you take the printed coupon and took to the bank to open the checking, I don't think bank will ask your Continental Onepass account #. Do they?
Yes they do.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 7:04 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by FlyingBoat
I believe online chat told me there was a fee to close within 90 days.
Correct. A $25 penalty.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
And that one, too, has the same coupon with the June 30 expiration.

It's cool that El_Chiflero has gotten the OK to honor this coupon for NYC folks who can come in.

For the rest of us (I'm on the other coast), who have learned that the offers must be followed to the 'T', that may not work so well. I have a Chase branch just down the street, and I expect that if I go in with a coupon showing a June 30 expiration, they will deny its validity.

Or does anyone have reason to believe that all Chase branches would be as cooperative?
I live in New York and though El_Chiflero's manager says he will honor the coupon, I'm sorry I just think that in the end you are not going to see the miles.

I went into a Chase branch here and the Branch Manager was on the phone for a half an hour and in the end he said the people who would have to authorize the miles can only go by what the expiration date that the coupon say's.

El_Chiflero if your manager wants to help and gets on the horn and straightens this out for everyone you will be a hero, but be careful about putting your reputation on the line as in the end its not your manager who has the final say in whether or not the customer gets the miles.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 11:32 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by rover4618
I went into a Chase branch here and the Branch Manager was on the phone for a half an hour and in the end he said the people who would have to authorize the miles can only go by what the expiration date that the coupon say's.

El_Chiflero if your manager wants to help and gets on the horn and straightens this out for everyone you will be a hero, but be careful about putting your reputation on the line as in the end its not your manager who has the final say in whether or not the customer gets the miles.
Amen to all that.

Bottom line is that I assume local bank employees will look for ways to disqualify those who provide them. While occasionally someone may slip through, I think most bank employees are cautious and will find ways to avoid giving out the bonus - that's their job. It's not personal, it's business (leave the gun, take the canoli....).

As supporting evidence, I would point to my wife's experience just yesterday at our local Chase branch....

She already has a checking account at this bank. It actually was a WaMu checking account, then when WaMu collapsed, Chase took over, and converted her account (so I could argue that technically she never opened a Chase checking account...)

She is not a FTer, but when I tell her to jump on a deal for miles, she's usually willing to give it a shot.

I have seen reports here (in this thread, I believe) from people who claim that they were able to get the miles for a new checking account even if they already have a Chase checking account. It is claimed that as long as you have not received the miles for a new account (i.e, if you haven't taken advantage of this particular offer), you should be eligible.

I printed out the coupon for her, gave her instructions on what to say, and she headed into the bank. Asked to open a new account, presented the coupon, said she wanted that offer. The bank person hemmed and hawed, went off to talk with her manager, and came back and told her no, because you already have a Chase checking account, you are not eligible for this offer, and you won't get any miles. She said well no thanks, then, and left. I was not shocked when she called me and told me what happened.

We will probably try another branch in a few days, but I won't be surprised if the results are the same. The bank seeks to reduce their costs. If they can find a way to deny you the miles, they will.

So if I go in to my branch with a coupon that says "expires June 30" looking to open a business account, I expect the result will be the same, even if I tell them my buddies on the internet insist they're supposed to give me the miles.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 12:21 am

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Originally Posted by jetboy787
Little worried about something..

I applied using the coupon code I got on co.com. I applied for the account with the advanced debit card but at no time did it ask for me to enter my onepass number. Was the coupon code generated had that info linked into it someway?

Thanks!
Originally Posted by mgcho
Same here. Applied online. If you open account online where Onepass number is not asked during application process although using coupon code correctly, how would we get the miles posted in my Onepass account?

If you take the printed coupon and took to the bank to open the checking, I don't think bank will ask your Continental Onepass account #. Do they?
In the branch they enter your Onepass number. But on-line there is no place to enter it and instead their crack team of Onepass number divining psychics will generally magically determine your Onepass number withing a week or so. Most of the time they get it right. Occasionally they screw up and create a new Onepass account in which case you have to call and have them combined, but that is uncommon. In any case don't worry about them not having your Onepass number. Just sit tight and wait a week or so.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 6:13 am
RNE

Bottom line is that I assume local bank employees will look for ways to disqualify those who provide them. While occasionally someone may slip through, I think most bank employees are cautious and will find ways to avoid giving out the bonus - that's their job.
Your assumption is false. While banks make the rules, bank employees do what they can to increase their own income within those rules. They do that by finding ways for customers to open accounts, get cards, qualify for loans, etc. not by disqualify customers. You can't say good morning to a bank employee without being asked if you want to open an account! It's reflexive.

There's nothing wrong with that, but, of course, they can only do so much. If a customer cannot qualify for an account, that's that. Your wife has a Chase checking account (it's irrelevant where it was opened) and she was duly informed, as you said yourself, "because you already have a Chase checking account, you are not eligible for this offer, and you won't get any miles." The coupon's terms expressly exclude your wife from getting the bonus miles.

While it is a fact that some on here have claimed to have gotten around that no-existing-account prohibition, such claims are:
  • unverified
  • prima facie mistakes
  • anecdotal

Your indignation at Chase's failure to ignore this prohibition in your wife's case simply because Chase may have done so for someone else is tantamount to demanding that CO gives you a mistake fare someone else snagged. CO will tell you to pound sand. So too Chase—as you have now seen.

If your wife doesn't mind going through the kabuki dance at another branch, more power to her (and you). You may succeed in finding a banker willing to take the coupon and open the account. Even so, you may only end up with another checking account and no bonus miles.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
Your indignation at Chase's failure to ignore this prohibition in your wife's case simply because Chase may have done so for someone else is tantamount to demanding that CO gives you a mistake fare someone else snagged. CO will tell you to pound sand. So too Chase—as you have now seen.
Whoa there, fellah. Indignation? Where's that?

I believe if you go back and read my post carefully (and based on your response, it doesn't appear to me that you did), you will see that:
  1. There's no indignation here.
  2. I was actually responding to a post that suggested one could happily ignore the clearly stated terms of an offer and expect to receive the benefits anyway. Several people here continue to assert that one can walk in and present a coupon with a June 30 expiration date and expect the offer to be honored. I was and still am quite skeptical of that.
  3. I expect corporations to (usually) honor the offers they make, but no more. I do not expect them to give anything away to me just because somebody else slipped through the system.
Sure, bank employees want to get you to open an account. But (I believe) what they want even more is to not get in trouble for handing out some benefit (which ultimately costs the bank something) when they're not supposed to. I would suspect that fear of the consequences of being excessively generous (in the eyes of their employer) trumps their desire to generate new accounts. So I do believe that if they see something that looks fishy, they are going to err on the side of denying the miles. This has always been my experience, and I see no reason to start expecting anything different. If you have had different experiences with more generous bank employees, I'm happy for you, but I think my expectations are quite realistic, at least where I live.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 4:51 pm
RNE

Whoa there, fellah. Indignation? Where's that?
Oh, I don't know. When I read such pat, unqualified and evocative language as "bottom line," "look for ways to disqualify," "cautious," "find ways to avoid," "supporting evidence," "I could argue," "I have seen reports," "The bank person hemmed and hawed," "find a way to deny you the miles," "trouble," "fear of the consequences," "looks fishy," "no reason to start expecting anything different." THAT'S where I see indignation. Crazy of me, I know.

And your indignation aside, you still mis-characterize bank employees' roles in this matter. They are motivated to approve customers for the products and services the bank sell, so long as they can do so within the rules. If a customer has an existing checking account, s/he does not qualify for the miles. Tough luck. Close the checking account now. Hope for the offer to be continued. Wait and apply then. Good luck.

P.S. Fella is not spelled "fellah," unless you meant to call me "a peasant or agricultural laborer in an Arab country," such characterization not being entirely inconsistent with my low station in life.

P.P.S. I'm not your fella, unless you wine and dine me first.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 5:46 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, UA Mileage Plus.
Question New Account

I opened a Chase OnePass checking account today. It went fairly flawlessly. The only problem I had was the "Signature Card" came up blank when it told me I should print a copy of it. How important is it?
Old Aug 15, 2010, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila
Just sit tight and wait a week or so.
If it's more than a week, do you think one needs to give a call to Chase?
Old Aug 15, 2010, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by nydad
If it's more than a week, do you think one needs to give a call to Chase?
The miles should post a couple of days after your monthly statement closes.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
Oh, I don't know.
Fine. Have it your way. Life's too short to waste it arguing with people looking for an argument. Ah, the internet....

Blue sky and tailwinds, best of luck to you.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, United MileagePlus, Alaska MileagePlan, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by JordyC
Maybe I'm a little thick : ) so I'm just going to spell it out a wee bit more...

1. I walk into the Chase bank where I already have an account (unfortunately). I hand them $100, the printed coupon, and the same SSN/address/etc. that they have on file my other account, and ask them to open a new account. They say yes, and give me a new account, and 25k miles provided I follow T&C. This actually works?

2. I wait 90 days, cancel this account, and do it again next year? Or does that even matter when you can open multiple accounts at the same bank? I just don't get what's stopping this from being an "unlimited" offer if the above is true.

Originally Posted by El_Chiflero
I can say #1 is true, I won't comment on #2 though...

just came back from the bank. apparently the banker couldnt get the first 10,000 miles to work. it kept erroring out saying that i have an existing account (wamu-converted acct)
but i was eligible for the 15,000 co debit card promo.

in the end, the confirmation printed out only had the 15,000 miles for a continental chase debit card. anyone else experience this issue? did the banker mess up, or is it because of my wamu account? note that this is using the new terms and conditions form expiring 9/30... im guessing that's why.

Last edited by bylin2000; Aug 16, 2010 at 8:35 pm
Old Aug 17, 2010, 5:49 am

I have read through a lot of the forums and haven't seen an answer of whether a ACH type transfer will count as a Direct Deposit. So does someone have experience here of whether a payment from PayPal, ING, or something else, such as Wells Fargo will work as a Direct Deposit?

From reading other forums it appeared PayPal and ING used to work, but someone had said ING did not work for them. I will do the 5 or 6 transactions to make sure I get the bonus, but I don't want to keep doing that every month to avoid the fees.

I don't want to bother HR for the direct deposit either. I am independent and I don't want my client to have to bother depositing a certain amount to this bank.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 6:35 am

I also wanted to sign up my daughter for this. She is wanting to go on a spring trip. But I see the high school account doesn't qualify for this, and the online chat said that is the only account she is able to open. Anyone have experience with this? Can I try to open a normal account for her? They want DL and SSN, so I suppose I wouldn't get by, by "accidently" typing in the DOB as a year earlier, so they would have her as 18.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.