Search

BF Upgrade Waitlist Question

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2010, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, LY Silver
BF Upgrade Waitlist Question

Hi all,

Interesting experience, curious to learn the truth. At about T-30 I went online and requested a mileage upgrade for my SFO-EWR-TLV flight (30k miles + $400). As expected, at 24 hours the upgrade didn't clear and I was removed from the waitlist. When I called the OnePass Elite Line, they told me that that's it, and that I won't be getting an upgrade. When I checked the PDA site, I saw that there were others who were on the standby list for EWR-TLV. I figured they must be Y-fares or something. When I got to the PC today, I asked the agent to look into it - took her about 15 minutes, she made some calls, eventually to the International Elite Line, and voila my name is now on the upgrade standby list for EWR-TLV. She said she had to process a "UPG" and that the only way is to manually request it at the airport.

Is that true? What happened here?

Thanks!
Old May 20, 2010, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
dunno, but if you're on CO90 tonight or 84 tomorrow looks like you've got a good shot
Old May 20, 2010, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.591 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

It is supposed to transfer automagically when you check in, not be a manual process.
Old May 20, 2010, 11:51 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by yonajon
Hi all,

Interesting experience, curious to learn the truth. At about T-30 I went online and requested a mileage upgrade for my SFO-EWR-TLV flight (30k miles + $400). As expected, at 24 hours the upgrade didn't clear and I was removed from the waitlist. When I called the OnePass Elite Line, they told me that that's it, and that I won't be getting an upgrade. When I checked the PDA site, I saw that there were others who were on the standby list for EWR-TLV. I figured they must be Y-fares or something. When I got to the PC today, I asked the agent to look into it - took her about 15 minutes, she made some calls, eventually to the International Elite Line, and voila my name is now on the upgrade standby list for EWR-TLV. She said she had to process a "UPG" and that the only way is to manually request it at the airport.

Is that true? What happened here?

Thanks!
That's what supposed to happen. As another FT says above, you need to check in and then you should be automatically added to the waitlist. Your post says you "checked the PDA site" but didn;t say if you had checked in or not. Did you? If so you should have been on the waitlist. If not, you wouldn't be until you checkin.
Old May 21, 2010, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, LY Silver
I had checked in, and I wasn't on the list.

Because of the fix at the airport, I eventually got up front, but if it weren't for the PDA site, I'd never have known I wasn't on the list.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 10:41 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
I booked DCA-EWR-TLV and used a SWU to request an upgrade. I am currently waitlisted.

The ticket is booked in such a way that the DCA-EWR segment is the last flight of the night and the EWR-TLV segment is the first flight the following day, giving me an about an 18 hour layover at EWR.

When I check in online for the DCA-EWR segment, it will be about 32 hours before my EWR-TLV flight- how will this impact my status on the upgrade waitlist/standby list?

Will I limited to checking in for only the DCA-EWR flight, or be able to check in for both segments? If I'm able to check in for both segments, is there an advantage/disadvantage in terms of my upgrade clearing?
Old Aug 2, 2011, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Peatisback
When I check in online for the DCA-EWR segment, it will be about 32 hours before my EWR-TLV flight- how will this impact my status on the upgrade waitlist/standby list?
It shouldn't. When you check in for your first segment, you should probably still get on the standby list for the EWR-TLV flight if it hasn't cleared by that time. But the waitlist will still be active until 24 hrs before the TLV flight, and they can and do clear them up until that point. The standby list doesn't really mean anything until you get to the gate. Of course your ability to check in so early does improve your standing on the upgrade standby list as the third tie-breaker (after elite status and fare class) is time of check-in.

It can definitely matter. I was once on EWR-HKG r/t as a Platinum on a B fare and there were a lot of upgrades cleared ahead of me (I didn't purchase the ticket until about a week before), both from the waitlist (on the outbound) and from the waitlist and the standby list (on the return, which didn't clear for me until the airport).

Will I limited to checking in for only the DCA-EWR flight, or be able to check in for both segments? If I'm able to check in for both segments, is there an advantage/disadvantage in terms of my upgrade clearing?
I think you should be able to check in for both. See above for the advantage of checking in early.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.