Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United is good. It's going to be OK CO peeps.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United is good. It's going to be OK CO peeps.

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2010, 7:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by flaii
Last year I booked a RTW C-class award using UA miles (200k miles),
That reward is actually 300K, not 200K on UA. It is only 220K on CO.

Originally Posted by flaii
Also to add, SQ adds a surcharge to flights operated by certain aircraft. Not sure how it's treated on award travel, but it's definitely applicable to paid RTW or other Star Alliance fare products. I wouldn't be surprised if these fees also applied to award travel, or award inventory is really restricted on these flights (but not sure from experience).
Those flights are simply not available (in general, though exceptions - likely errors - happen from time to time) for reward travel to *A partners. SQ KrisFlyer members can redeem their points on those routes at a premium price.
Old May 9, 2010, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by sbm12
This one could be ugly when they align. CO's RTW awards are at a more favorable price.
Old May 9, 2010, 8:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by channa
This one could be ugly when they align. CO's RTW awards are at a more favorable price.
I think that was coming even before the merger. CO's rates for RTW rewards were incredibly low; they are a great value in many cases.
Old May 9, 2010, 8:13 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by skywalk
In my opinion UAL is on par with any of the airlines in the world overall (yes,some airlines have better entertainment sometimes but better food and other things are debatable depending on preference).
I don't mind UA but don't see that they could be objectively described as on par with other world airlines, particularly European and Asian carriers. There's very little hospitality left at UA, it's all been cut back. I have fond memories of travelling transatlantic with them in the mid 90s and was genuinely impressed, but no more.

Since CO joined Star, I have been able to try them and have found them to be better than UA. Planes are cleaner/newer, they offer more than a cup of soda in coach (I know that that will change but wonder if that was linked to the merger). The lounges again are much better at CO, UAs are mostly tatty and offer very little in the way of refreshment.

I'm apprehensive about the merger and fear it will be a downward step to UA standards.
Old May 10, 2010, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Dan72

I'm apprehensive about the merger and fear it will be a downward step to UA standards.
Ditto. CO should set the standard, not UA.

I am a fan of their intl product though, quite nice. Though the catering (compared to CO business first) is not that great.
Old May 10, 2010, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by channa
It's some routes on some airlines, some of the time.

I've booked a number of F awards on partners with UA with no issue whatsoever.

While it's indeed a nuisance, it's not like it's a wholesale block of everything.

I hope the combined entity gets rid of it.
This is wrong or at least very misleading. For example, UA will block all LH TATL flights for long periods of time, which essentially makes it impossible to get to many places in Europe using an award. UA also tends to block nearly all travel between Europe and Asia.

And I strongly disagree with those who say it's not enough to switch. I switched from UA to CO because of *Net blocking.
Old May 10, 2010, 11:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
Oh, right, haha! +/- 100k miles
Old May 10, 2010, 3:02 pm

Programs: CO Gold Elite, Marriott Platinum and several other elites...
Originally Posted by texasex95
I've had many wonderful experiences flying United and I just don't get all of the bashing. Every airline will have bad apples but overall United is no better or worse than Continental.

Read this and see what they're doing to be the best...

http://content.united.com/ual/asset/UAL_CSR-web-v4.pdf
I recently had an add-on flight on UA from LAS to LAX after a multi-city trip on CO. Seriously the little flight of 45 minutes was the worst experience I've had in airline travel in 20 years. The check-in was horrific and the baggage claim was a mess making us wait an hour for our bags to be delivered. I am currently CO Gold Elite and was not treated well at all by UA. I am sick to my stomach.
Old May 10, 2010, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by Dan72
Since CO joined Star, I have been able to try them and have found them to be better than UA. Planes are cleaner/newer, they offer more than a cup of soda in coach (I know that that will change but wonder if that was linked to the merger).
Doing away with the free domestic coach meals on most flights has nothing to do with the merger. It happened before talks with UA began again a few weeks ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.