Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United is good. It's going to be OK CO peeps.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United is good. It's going to be OK CO peeps.

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2010, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by PeaSouper
In our future travel plans, my wife and I are looking at BKK, IST, and some other places that you simply have to use *A carriers other than CO or UA to get to. Of course this is simply anecdotal, and I have no experience with *net blocking myself, but looking at this thread scares the crap out of me.
I have a C trip booked to BKK using UA miles (TG out, NH back), as well as an F trip to IST booked with UA miles (LH out, TK back).

No issues with either of those.
Old May 7, 2010, 8:33 am

Programs: BA Silver, TK Elite, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by channa
I have a C trip booked to BKK using UA miles (TG out, NH back), as well as an F trip to IST booked with UA miles (LH out, TK back).

No issues with either of those.
So you're saying that you booked the trip on the dates you wanted, on the carriers that you wanted, without having to compromise due to unavailability? *net blocking has never caused any problems for you?
Old May 7, 2010, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So you're saying that you booked the trip on the dates you wanted, on the carriers that you wanted, without having to compromise due to unavailability? *net blocking has never caused any problems for you?
I got exactly the dates, times, and flights I wanted for those trips. I have some more trips booked involving AC (J), TK (C), LH (C), and another LH (F). All with UA miles, all as desired. I've also flown on a number of UA awards on partners, most recently OZ (C), NH (C), LH (F), and AC (J). All booked as desired with UA miles.

I've encountered *net blocking, and it's impacted maybe 5% of my award needs, if that.

I think those not familiar with *net blocking may not really understand how it works.

UA doesn't wholesale block an entire carrier or route. It's a budgetary thing -- when the monthly/quarterly/etc. totals of outflows to a specific carrier start approaching or exceeding budget, they filter some of that carrier's flights for a period so that they reduce their outflows to that carrier.

That filtering may last a couple of days, a couple of weeks, or a couple of months. It may be on a significant number of that carrier's routes, or it may be on just a handful. You never know.

The vast majority of the time, the partner award you want will be available to you.

The term I use to describe it is "nuisance." It's annoying, it gets in the way on occasion, but it's not the end of the world. The notion that you can't use UA miles on partners, that's way off.
Old May 7, 2010, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Originally Posted by channa
UA doesn't wholesale block an entire carrier or route. It's a budgetary thing -- when the monthly/quarterly/etc. totals of outflows to a specific carrier start approaching or exceeding budget, they filter some of that carrier's flights for a period so that they reduce their outflows to that carrier.
One flipside to that coin: it is my understanding that the NZ service from LAX-LHR is never available because UA competes on it.
Old May 7, 2010, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
One flipside to that coin: it is my understanding that the NZ service from LAX-LHR is never available because UA competes on it.
I'm not sure the exact details, but I understand it was a flight simply not available to MP members, and hadn't been since it started (even prior to *net blocking).

It's much like how CO restricted the KL/PrivatAir IAH-AMS flight back when they were partners with KL.
Old May 7, 2010, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
I have redeemed more than 1 million United miles, all international saver F/J.

*net blocking has NEVER caused any problem for me.

It's way over blown here, and most people (some of them long term FTers) don't know what they are talking about.

Old May 7, 2010, 9:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
While this one is commonly cited as an "always" blocked route, I believe there are reports in the UA forum of people getting it from time to time.
Old May 7, 2010, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kb1992
I have redeemed more than 1 million United miles, all international saver F/J.

*net blocking has NEVER caused any problem for me.

It's way over blown here, and most people (some of them long term FTers) don't know what they are talking about.

The *net thread is meant to be taken into context.

For a while, we had an idea something was happening based on inventory discrepancies, but UA never confirmed it. Then, we had enough data points to prove something was happening, again UA never confirmed it. Finally, Nicholas got UA to admit it, and now we know, so there's nothing more to prove.

As a result, the thread has transformed into a b!tch thread for everyone to post their blocks. So from an outsider's perspective, a multi-page thread listing flight after flight, well yeah, that can be intimidating.

That said, people are so quick to jump on UA for blocks, some blocks posted aren't really blocks. As you said, some don't know what they're talking about.

I got into it with a poster recently when he said CO was blocked. I said no way would CO be blocked, because the math would never work out -- remember, blocking only happens when they're over budget with outflows to that carrier. CO's inventory is notoriously tight, that I can't imagine that UA would have more outflows to CO than inflows from CO.

Turns out, that poster was trying to use UA miles to get an EasyPass CO reward. Well, EasyPass on CO is only an option for CO members, not UA members.

I pointed that out, and he came back saying it doesn't matter, since he can get the flight with CO miles, and not UA miles, it's UA blocking in his eyes.
Old May 7, 2010, 9:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
In any event, I'm admittedly concerned because of the initial indicator that Graham Atkinson of Mileage Plus might be running the combined carrier's FFP.
Old May 7, 2010, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by sbm12
I believe there are reports in the UA forum of people getting it from time to time.
IIRC, that may have been the result of a manual sell, which is not supposed to happen and could cause problems for the agent who did it.
Another example would be obtaining a SYD stopover on the now infamous UA CNZ fare to AKL.
It wasn't supposed to happen due to the HIP check, but I got 2 of them.
Dave
Old May 7, 2010, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
In any event, I'm admittedly concerned because of the initial indicator that Graham Atkinson of Mileage Plus might be running the combined carrier's FFP.
You're kidding right?

Are you saying you'd rather have Bergsrud?

*net blocking is nothing compared to some of the stuff that's come out during Bergsrud's tenure.
Old May 7, 2010, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
come again? Because UA led in such innovations as 50% EQM and 'milathon'?
Old May 7, 2010, 10:32 am

Programs: CO Plat, HHonors DVIP, UA 1K
Getting back to the original topic...

I am a former 1K on UA and a MMF. I left them two years ago when they started selling everything and E+ became more crowded than the rear of the plane. CO made my Platinum Elite and I really enjoyed my two years as such. CO's service, plane condition, attitudes, etc. are really much better than UA's. I am hoping that making Smisek the CEO is a signal that the culture of CO will dominate, but we'll see. I had 10K miles on CO this year when I switched back to MP based on the expectation of the merger. Has anyone heard whether miles on CO and UA will be combined for status next year. If I fly 90K on United will they add my 10 K on CO to that 90K?
Old May 7, 2010, 10:36 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
Graham Atkinson of Mileage Plus might be running the combined carrier's FFP.
+1 for Graham. 50% EQM=epic fail
Old May 7, 2010, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SenorVP
Has anyone heard whether miles on CO and UA will be combined for status next year. If I fly 90K on United will they add my 10 K on CO to that 90K?
I wouldn't count on it. The deal closes late this year if it's on schedule, so I doubt they'd combine accounts until the 2012 program year at the earliest.

They still have to address the discrepancies (tier levels, CR1s, etc.), and give notice to members before they do this.

btw, you're coming back to UA after a good bit of improvement. I'm curious if you have (or will) notice any changes. A few years ago, I would have agreed with you on the CO attitudes and culture being better. Today, however, I think they've flip-flopped a bit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.