Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bumped from an Exit Row Seat . . . Why?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2010, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA, previously of CO.
exact thing that happened to me on Thursday. Called and they said they hadn't heard of this glitch before. Ranted on here and was chastized.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I actually was able to get 12B, so not all was lost. But after the Plat elite desk told me Thursday that my 12A seat was confirmed for the return flight on Sunday, was still bumped out of the exit row.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:45 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Me too. Bumped out of 12A when I checked on Sunday for a Monday flight. Managed to get it back online though.

Better check my other reservations now I suppose......
Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:13 am

Programs: United Global Services,Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite
Oh, you where sitting in my seat...

Old Mar 23, 2010, 10:47 am
CLG

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Circle
Done on purpose?

Happened to me as well this Sunday on my return from PHX. Had 14C reserved on the 738 for a month, then come auto-checkin time, I had 5C. Luckily, I got my 14C back (since I am 0% on upgrades this year, the exit row is my only friend on a CO plane).

I really don't want to think that CO was kicking us all out of exit row seats right before our flights (because I checked the seat assignment when I checked in for the outbound segment!) to increase their available for sale $$ seats, but it is a smart business move!! Like I said, I don't want to think that, but...

CLG
Old Mar 23, 2010, 1:57 pm

Location: Michigan's West Coast and wherever my clients need me
Programs: Delta Diamond (2+M MQMs), Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
Ditto

A couple of odd somethings happened on my last two segments that may be related to this topic. First, CO(Ex)2904 from GRR to CLE on Monday 22 Mar 2010 began boarding like it usually does, and I was assigned to seat 2A. By choice, I routinely board that flight near the end of the process (cold weather, cold aircraft that has been sitting all night), and when I stepped onto the plane after what seemed an unusually long time to board an ERJ145 and noticed someone sitting in seat 2A. Before I could say anything, the FA told me to "take any availble seat". When I protested, she said that if I wanted to go, I had to find an available seat. Since the last pax had also already boarded and they were ready to shut the door, I complied and sat down in 12C (the exit row), which is usually full. When the FA stopped to confirm that we were willing to help her in the event of an emergency, I asked about the seat assignment mix-up and she said there were several inadvertant seat assignment changes and left it at that.

Then, on CO87 from CLE to EWR on Monday 22 Mar 2010. I was assigned to 15D and never had any problem; my seat assignment didn't change. However, upon boarding (in the early Elite wave) the aircraft and noticing that I was about number fifteen or so on the upgrade list, I looked at the seat map to see if anyone was assigned to the seat next to me, and noticed that the seat map was almost empty. F showed for people and the back o' the bus showed about twenty little Xs.

As the moderately full flight started to fill up, there was a lot of confusion about who was supposed to be seated in which exist row seat, with at least two instances of multiple people claiming to have boarding passes for the same seat. I think there was some of this in the non-exit row seats as well. Boarding was stopped at the cabin door, the GA was summoned by the crew, there was A LOT of discussion between her and the FAs, and the GA went back up the ramp. After about ten more minutes, boarding resumed with many very unhappy pax. Fortunately, there were quite a few open seats in the back in which people spread out, but it was pretty ugly. I checked the PDA seat map at about the time boarding finished, and all the appropriate little Xs appeared to be there.

Wonder if this had anything to do with the new seat maps?
Old Mar 23, 2010, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
Thanks for the tip... I had several upcoming flights booked in exit rows, including a vacation trip to RSW where I would have had an unhappy (tall) husband if we got bumped from those exit row seats. Unless of course, we're moved up front!

But I have now "accepted" the conditions for those seats.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 4:07 pm
Original Member

It looks like the problem may have been fixed. I just checked in for a flight tomorrow, and neither I nor my companion (non-elite, originally on the same PNR with me but then split off) were moved out of the exit row seats. And we hadn't gone in ahead of time to de-select and then re-select those seats or anything like that. So either we just got lucky for some reason, or the problem is fixed.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 9:13 pm

Programs: Previously 5 year AS Gold 75, UA MM Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by sdm1130
With the new seat maps, CO.com makes you accept a list of conditions before assigning you an exit row seat. You aren't the first person to report a problem like this, so I am starting to think that there are some problems with exit row seat assignments that were selected before accepting the exit row conditions was required.

To be safe, I went through all reservations made before the new seat maps were put in to place and moved myself out of the exit rows and then back in so I was prompted to accept the conditions. It might be extreme, but I am also hoping it helps me avoid any issues related to this change.
Thanks Steve! I just re-did many upcoming flights, including a couple with my sweetie who I booked separately...no telling where we might have ended up at OLCI
Old Mar 25, 2010, 8:09 am

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Bumped AGAIN today from a COEX RJ 12a.... ...luckily, I woke up early enough so that no one else grabbed my seat. Very Southwest-esque, CO....
Old Mar 25, 2010, 8:23 am

Location: Michigan's West Coast and wherever my clients need me
Programs: Delta Diamond (2+M MQMs), Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
Angry Happened at Auto Check In

Received the email with links to my electronic boarding passes last night and noticed that I had been booted from my $$ seat. I had, as have so many others, gone into the itinerary, de-selected and re-selected that seat in advance.

However, this instance could have been related to the fact that I requested a mileage upgrade and there seem to have been some hiccups with that when I was waitlisted.

No worries, as I was still able to grab it. ^ Still, it would be nice if CO could implement these changes after having done a little basic testing. And here I thought it was only Microsoft and video game distributors that use paying customers to do their beta tesing. But I digress . . .
Old Mar 25, 2010, 8:44 am
CLG

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Circle
Originally Posted by jwlowry
Received the email with links to my electronic boarding passes last night and noticed that I had been booted from my $$ seat. I had, as have so many others, gone into the itinerary, de-selected and re-selected that seat in advance.

However, this instance could have been related to the fact that I requested a mileage upgrade and there seem to have been some hiccups with that when I was waitlisted.

No worries, as I was still able to grab it. ^ Still, it would be nice if CO could implement these changes after having done a little basic testing. And here I thought it was only Microsoft and video game distributors that use paying customers to do their beta tesing. But I digress . . .
My problem, as stated in Post #19 above, was also with the OLCI... Perhaps we've narrowed down the suspect list?

CLG
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:37 am

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Thought I would elaborate on my post to the co.com problem thread: It seems that, since the "extra legroom" sale began, that my pre-selected exit row seats on RJ's are removed before OLCI. I had a flight IAH-ELP earlier this week, and my usual 12A was bumped, and since I was carrying on luggage, I didn't check-in until late and someone grabbed my seat. Well, I woke up early this morning and checked in for the return ELP-IAH, and again I was bumped out of 12A on a COEX ERJ -- thank goodness someone else hadn't snagged it.... but still

So, Jeff, why do I have to treat CO like WN now when I checkin? This is twice in the span of 4 days that this has happened, and as I have said here before numerous times, I fly intra-state Texas flights 75% of the time, and I have to justify flying CO and connecting vs. WN direct, which I do not (fly WN) because I can assure myself an exit row seat on CO...and the fact that CO flies to AMS and WN doesn't . However, if I have to set my watch to olci right when I can, and also have to worry about my RJ exit row seat getting bumped when I have had it confirmed for over 5 weeks prior, thus throwing a high elbow to get a good seat a-la WN....well, sir, that might be the proverbial straw.

I'm not saying that I'm jumping ship, because I am not, but this is the latest in a growing list of things that I have used to justify my business on CO over more convenient and sometimes cheaper competition that are dwindling. Think about it. @:-)
Old Mar 27, 2010, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, National Exec Elite, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, AMTRAK
This just happened to me. Had 12A on a COEX YYZ-CLE flight and looked today and they put me in 9A.

I selected the seat back to 12A.

I fly COEX a LOT out of MHT and I almost always try to get 12A (I don't mind 3B bulkhead if 3C is also empty but that doesn't occur all that much time).

This really needs to be fixed and addressed by CO as the Exit row is the only "seating benefit" for elites flying on ExpressJet.

Last edited by mht_flyer; Mar 27, 2010 at 10:09 pm
Old Mar 28, 2010, 7:12 am

Location: EWR, USA, AA 1MM Gold, United Premier Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
Is it just me or does it seem that in 90% of the cases reported here that this problem has been with the regionals and not mainline??? Or cases of flights with connections involving regionals?
Old Mar 28, 2010, 10:23 am

Programs: MP Platinum 1.97MM
Originally Posted by eagle92
Is it just me or does it seem that in 90% of the cases reported here that this problem has been with the regionals and not mainline??? Or cases of flights with connections involving regionals?
Neither of the cases I've been affected by involve regionals or connections with them. One which I reported earlier than this thread (on the ELS thread 20Mar before this thread was started) involved a 777 TATL. And another Plat on that same flight told me they had experienced the same issue.

Another instance today involves a May MNL-GUM flight on a 738. After the 20Mar incident I went through and re-selected exit row seating "accepting" the conditions, but found today that this one of the sixteen flights on which I had done that re-selecting again got the seat switched.

This one may be a glitch in the aircraft seating chart for that particular flight. The chart lists it as a 738 (which all the CO Mike flights on that route are supposed to be), but the seating chart is definitely a 737-700 (there are no more -300s, right?) -- three rows of First, and the missing window seat in the first of the exit rows. So there is some significant issue with their aircraft and seating chart info.

This particular seating chart has now flipped back and forth at least three times over a period of four weeks between the new 738 seating with Row 20 as the first exit, versus the older seating configuration with Rows 12 and 14 as exit rows, and the incorrect 73G chart.

But maybe I'm part of your 10%?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.