Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bumped from an Exit Row Seat . . . Why?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2010, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Question Bumped from an Exit Row Seat . . . Why?

I am Platinum Elite. Several months ago, I booked a fully refundable B fare on an ERJ-145 and selected Seat 12A, an exit row seat. I had reviewed my record a couple of days before the flight and I was in Seat 12A, yet when I checked in on line for my March 19 flight, I found that I was no longer in Seat 12A, but in Seat 8C, and that the three exit row seats were occupied.

I have been Platinum Elite for years and I have never had this happen to me before. Might something be going on with the extra legroom for purchase policy (i.e., that I was bounced from the exit row because somebody was willing to pay more for that seat)? Or was this just an innocent computer glitch?
Old Mar 21, 2010, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With the new seat maps, CO.com makes you accept a list of conditions before assigning you an exit row seat. You aren't the first person to report a problem like this, so I am starting to think that there are some problems with exit row seat assignments that were selected before accepting the exit row conditions was required.

To be safe, I went through all reservations made before the new seat maps were put in to place and moved myself out of the exit rows and then back in so I was prompted to accept the conditions. It might be extreme, but I am also hoping it helps me avoid any issues related to this change.

Last edited by sdm1130; Mar 21, 2010 at 8:49 pm
Old Mar 21, 2010, 8:48 pm

Location: EWR, USA, AA 1MM Gold, United Premier Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
SHENANIGANS!!!!
Old Mar 22, 2010, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdm1130
With the new seat maps, CO.com makes you accept a list of conditions before assigning you an exit row seat. You aren't the first person to report a problem like this, so I am starting to think that there are some problems with exit row seat assignments that were selected before accepting the exit row conditions was required.

To be safe, I went through all reservations made before the new seat maps were put in to place and moved myself out of the exit rows and then back in so I was prompted to accept the conditions. It might be extreme, but I am also hoping it helps me avoid any issues related to this change.
This makes so much sense. Thank you for the analysis and the suggestion (which I followed through on with regard to future flights in which I booked an exit row seat).
Old Mar 22, 2010, 6:06 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
:-:enhanced :-:
Old Mar 22, 2010, 7:14 am

Location: EWR, USA, AA 1MM Gold, United Premier Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Emerald Club Executive

You know...when you do OLCI it asks you that anyway...why can't they fix the glitch that is causing this heartache before check-in and just have the system ask the question during check-in...no wait...that would be too logical...
Old Mar 22, 2010, 7:58 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum

Great idea! I just did the same thing for all my future flights. Many thanks!
Old Mar 22, 2010, 1:44 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

This was the final straw that made me ditch BA. They started charging elites £50 to book an exit row seat, but assured us that any existing seat reservations would be honoured.

A few days before my flight I got an email asking me if I wanted to purchase an exit row seat, and sure enough, I'd been moved

Hopefully this is just a glitch with CO. Thankfully they don't charge elites for the exit row seats.

Cheers,
Rick
Old Mar 22, 2010, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Mariott, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by SJU Abogado
I am Platinum Elite. Several months ago, I booked a fully refundable B fare on an ERJ-145 and selected Seat 12A, an exit row seat. I had reviewed my record a couple of days before the flight and I was in Seat 12A, yet when I checked in on line for my March 19 flight, I found that I was no longer in Seat 12A, but in Seat 8C, and that the three exit row seats were occupied.

I have been Platinum Elite for years and I have never had this happen to me before. Might something be going on with the extra legroom for purchase policy (i.e., that I was bounced from the exit row because somebody was willing to pay more for that seat)? Or was this just an innocent computer glitch?
Same thing happened to me upon check-in yesterday from IAH-MCI. I printed my BP and thankfully looked at it (usually just put it right in my bag). I had been bumped from 12A. Fortunately I was able to check in again and swap back to 12A.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 3:40 pm

Programs: Continental One Pass Platinum; HHonors Gold
Add me to the list of unhappy campers who got bumped from a reserved exit row seat as well. Like poster above, I am a Plat, booked 12A on an ERJ flight; reservation showed seat. Today I go to check-in and I am bumped from exit row; and exit rows are now filled and unavailable.

Never an issue for me before now.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 4:41 pm
Original Member

I really hope they fix this soon. I'm scheduled to fly on Thursday and have exit row seats reserved. To make matters worse, I'm flying with a non-elite companion and I split the reservation to boost our chance of getting upgrades (which now looks like it won't happen). So if we get bumped out of the exit row, then I won't be able to move my companion back into the exit row (even if I catch it in time and the seats are still open) without having to get on the phone (and with the new rules, I don't know if that will work).

I wonder if it would be worth PMing Scott about this.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 5:59 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Add me to the list as well - - I went to OLCI yesterday for today's flight segment SAT-IAH-ELP, and I was pleasently surprised to see the UG SAT-IAH (these flights have been a bit tough the last couple of weeks, with the high loads and spring break), so after choosing my seat, I saw that on the ERJ segment of IAH-SAT, I was NOT in 12A -- like I always am, and will choose a different flight if that seat is not available, so no matter how intoxicated I was when I booked the flight, I know that I am always, always, always going to have that seat. Nothing on the A side was available, but luckily, I was able to snag 12B, but the flight was packed to the brim and someone sat next to me -- but was able to sleep most of the flight nonetheless.

I was most agitated -- I wonder if the EUA process sometimes bumps some people from their pre-selected exit row seats? Usually not a problem, but a few times, it is....I really wanted to drop-kick the old dude who took my seat in 12A, although he probably wasn't at fault, he got a few glares from me when we landed.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 6:16 pm

Something sinister is going on around here...come on Scott...man up to it...
Old Mar 22, 2010, 7:41 pm

Programs: Onepass
Originally Posted by CopperSteve
Great idea! I just did the same thing for all my future flights. Many thanks!
Me Three. re-selected seats and confirmed the exit row agreement.

PLUS I was offered a $71 (Cdn oh..wait thats also $71 USD Today ) buy-up to First on the return, all-in, for BOTH legs LAS-EWR-YYZ on a E fare. Even as a newly minted Plat I know LAS to anywhere EUA are hard to come buy for the most part. More so LAS-EWR than the LAS-CLE. Heck I even got a few LAS>CLE as a Silver^.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM; IHG Spire; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold (UA); National Executive Elite
I just reselected, and accepted the (new?) agreements.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.