Wiki Posts
Search

Food for Purchase – Coming Fall 2010

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA PLAT, SPG PLAT. Collector of Chase UR points
Originally Posted by sbm12

Other than EWR/IAH-HNL what domestic flights are > 6 hours?
EWR-SFO/SEA/PDX/LAX/SNA/and most SAN flights
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
Yeah, pretty much no surprise on that one. It will be interesting to see if CO continues to cater Chelsea-prepared items or if other selections will be available. And then, of course, it all comes down to cost. :-:
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:48 am

I'm actually surprised CO held-out this long.

Back when all the airlines offered meals onboard flights, everyone complained about how bad airplane food was... then the day after the airlines cut food service, everyone complained that they missed it.

The one constant? Complaining... ah, the American consumer.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:49 am

Programs: UA 1K and 1 Million Miles, Marriott Plat Premier and LT Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by AMF in NJ
EWR-ANC? There's a tech stop, but they seem to sell it as 'one flight.'
There are a few NON stop between IAH-ANC, esp in the summer months
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by belynch
The commoditization of US airlines continues . Although, to be fair, I personally could care less.

Three quick suggestions:
  • Please allow us to use our CO Currency for meals in the back. For those of us that don't drink (much) when flying for work -- this would be a nice bone to throw us. (assuming I ever get this year's elite pack )
  • Don't offer tuna like UA. That's probably the dumbest idea anyone has ever had. The whole plane smells like rank cat-food.
  • Can GA's please clear battlefields earlier in the process (I know that's asking a lot) so those of us that are perched at 1 or 2 will have a window to go and buy something (we actually want) in the terminal?

Oh, and while we're talking about standardizing with US () please send out a memo telling FA's to stop using the piggy-flu excuse for why there's no blankets or pillows in Y. They just sound foolish. The truth is a much better policy. :-:

^
Can't say I am surprised here. Although this was a nice perk with CO. The 6+ hour flights baffles me a bit, how many of them are there?

Considering the declining EUA rates it would be nice to use the CO currency but I doubt that will happen.

I have to say I am more likely to buy something in the terminal and either eat it before the flight or bring it on so CO won't be making much money off me
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:50 am

Programs: Still trying to use my Continental OnePass miles...
What??? No more bland turkey sandwiches????? BAH! Looks like I'll be taking all my business to Aeroflot!
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
I knew this was coming when the cashless cabin happened.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Assuming reasonable prices and selections that are actually appetizing and healthy, I see this as a reasonably positive change. As others have mentioned, it's hardly a surprise...

I can't help but wonder if the charges for baggage, DirecTV and now food are going to start making people feel like they are being nickel and dimed non-stop between their origin and destination.

Originally Posted by belynch
Oh, and while we're talking about standardizing with US () please send out a memo telling FA's to stop using the piggy-flu excuse for why there's no blankets or pillows in Y. They just sound foolish. The truth is a much better policy. :-:
Don't worry, they'll start selling pillows and/or blankets soon enough.

Originally Posted by jrzyshawn
It won't shock me if most of these flights end-up being "meal free" -- although most are blocked at over six hours, the actual flight times won't be. I've run into the issue with GoGo where I've been on a flight that's only 1.25 hours but have been charged the 1.5+ hour fee for inflight wifi because, as they put it to me, it's "about" 1.5 hours or more.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by correction
What??? No more bland turkey sandwiches????? BAH! Looks like I'll be taking all my business to Aeroflot!
That would be interesting to take a Tu154 ERW to SFO, sign me up

Programs: UA 1P, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Hmmm... another way CO is becoming more like UA.....
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by CO Insider
Domestic flights under 6 hours will offer a new food-for-purchase menu. While we’ll no longer be offering complimentary meals at mealtime on these flights, this does mean we’ll be offering a much better variety of quality menu offerings, intended to appeal to a broader range of tastes and diets.
Is this a tacit admission that your complimentary meals sucked?

Regardless, I'm guessing that, with this new changes, one of the few things that differentiates Continental from the other domestic majors is the fact that your legroom in coach is absolutely horrendous. So keep up the good work!
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA PLAT, SPG PLAT. Collector of Chase UR points
I actually look forward to this change.

I would suggest that some of the meal options are hot meals, like a pasta or beef option. You have the ovens, use them :-:
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
When they first started serving the Turkey Dog, that was when I knew it was definitely time to do this.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jrzyshawn
It would be interesting if they only served free meals on the westbound flights. Then again, CO previously used the expected flight time, not block time, for deciding meal service and those flights all block at just over 6 hours but generally have expected flight times of less than 6 hours. I guess we'll have to wait to see what the actual policy is when it comes into play.

Of course, that shouldn't stop rampant speculation here.
Originally Posted by ssullivan
IAH-ANC nonstop.
Yeah...forgot about that one.
Originally Posted by AMF in NJ
EWR-ANC? There's a tech stop, but they seem to sell it as 'one flight.'
That's just a direct flight, not a tech stop. Plenty of passengers only are gonig to/from SEA, not all the way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.