Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Food for Purchase – Coming Fall 2010

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by belynch
I really like how AC administers their BOB program. For those of us that buy really high (read: profitable) fares, it's nice to get a comp'ed meal (of decent quality).

Perhaps CO can market free BOB for individuals buying B or Y fares (as well as Pres. Plats.) that are stuck in whY? Requires a bit more leg-work, but ya'll can do it.
If you could afford those LOL high fares then you could afford to go to McDonalds before you get on the plane.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:55 am
Suspended

I can see it now, next CO will announce they are charging for using the Lav, swipe your CC in order to gain entrance, need toilet paper that will be extra
Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:58 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, United LT Silver
Originally Posted by tommy777
Why would you fly CO all together when UA offers Economy Plus unless you live close to EWR, CLE or IAH? Yeah, you can choose emergency exit seats, but with these seats now being up for grabs for anyone with a few dollars in their pockets, good luck trying to get an emergency exit seat if you have to change flights same day on a business trip. I buy plenty of tickets last minute and change my flights on high frequency routes almost every week. There's usually no way I'll get an emergency exit on either CO or UA, but on UA I will at least almost always get Economy Plus

It's official: CO is like everyone else now without the legroom and they are worse than everyone else on irr ops
OT, but in regards to the exit row seats, the new policy actually helps you, albeit only slightly, in securing an exit row seat on a same day standby. Before, anyone could choose them at the 24 hour mark... now non-elites have to pay.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 12:01 pm

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
The race to the bottom continues. Soon, there won't even be a LCC/LFC category any more, as there will be nothing substantial distinguishing one carrier from another, let alone LFCs from Legacies.

It seems after the departures of Bethune from CO and Kelleher from WN, both carriers are looking more & more like all the others, only from opposite ends of the spectrum.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
I hope they offer the ability to buy in advance @ check in or ticketing so they can load more meals if needed.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 12:10 pm

Programs: United MP 1p, PC Ambassador, GP Platinum
The meals on united really improved once you had to pay for them. Hopefully continental offers BOB of similar quality.^
Old Mar 15, 2010, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by sbm12
Since he previous bullet point was about domestic flights under six hours I was reading it as:
Most international flights
and
domestic flights over 6 hours.

That being said, the press release says that "certain" LatAm routes will be losing meals.

Until there are real details available it'll be hard to say definitively.
It seems pretty clear to me. If there had been a comma after "International", then you might have a leg to stand on. I would be quite happy if they served meals on all international legs, so I hope they have a change of heart on this part.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 12:13 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by IADtoWhere
The meals on united really improved once you had to pay for them. Hopefully continental offers BOB of similar quality.^
That's funny.. Snackboxes was BOB on UA for many years. Absolutely disgusting sodium shock.. Only recently, UA has been offering real BOB
Old Mar 15, 2010, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by soccerflyer
will the complimentary meals be suspended immediately? i'm flying the end of the month and that cereal/sandwich will taste a little sweeter knowing it's the last freebie...
I'd recommend you go back, and read the original post again, in it's entirety. It's spelled out.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 12:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
While I'm a bit disappointed that CO is no longer differentating themselves from the other legacies, I must admit that it's about time. I honestly would prefer BOB over their complimentary meal (yes, I had the sheer unfortunate to get the turkey dog on my only flight on CO for a few years--my first meal offered by CO) so I guess my opinion is a bit biased. I see their current complimentary meal as cafeteria food. I had BOB on both DL and US, and the quality and taste was really good. I think it's worth it.

This coming from a guy who hates baggage fees, emergency exit rows/extra "legroom" fees, standby fees, and fees in general.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
It seems pretty clear to me. If there had been a comma after "International", then you might have a leg to stand on. I would be quite happy if they served meals on all international legs, so I hope they have a change of heart on this part.
According to Today in the Sky:
Continental will continue to offer free coach-class meals on trans-Atlantic and trans-Pacific routes and on routes to South America. In Central America, Continental says it will keep free meals on routes to business-heavy markets like Mexico City or Managua, but that routes to leisure destinations like Cancun or Puerto Vallarta will be subject to the new meal charges.
So in your case, it seems to depend on whether CO considers SJO a business market or a leisure market. You could certainly argue it either way, though I'm guessing they'll call it a leisure market.

As far as the west-bound trans-cons, I'd put money on those being BOB. I doubt CO would reap the kind of savings and revenue they're talking about if they continue offering free meals on ex-EWR trans-cons, which must surely represent a significant portion of their current domestic free meal flights. Other than some of the HNL/ANC flights, I think free meals will be gone.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, UA Gold, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Gold, Marriott Silver
I'm seeing several people mention they prefer BOB over the complimentary 'meals' offered by CO. I'm not sure I follow the logic here. Everyone has essentially had a BOB option for ages as you can pick-up food from any vendor in an airport and carry it onboard. I'm hard pressed to believe the BOB options will be any better than what you can order from airport vendors.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 12:27 pm

I miss Larry.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 12:33 pm

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Originally Posted by aba030
I'm hard pressed to believe the BOB options will be any better than what you can order from airport vendors.
IF you have time to do so.... (long lines at vendors in the concourse, late-arriving inbound connecting flights due to wx or mx, running late to the airport due to traffic, etc.)
Old Mar 15, 2010, 12:33 pm

Programs: Mariott Plat, *wood Plat, Hyatt Diamond, United 1K
pity
I was hoping that UA would be attempting to match CO's free food on board given that UA was matching CO's upgrade program and CO was matching UA's Premium Seating (E+).....

aba30 - I believe BOB means buy on board (not bring on board like I originally thought as well)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.