Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Laptop in seatback pocket - not allowed?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2010, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
I've been hearing this announcement made over the PA on COEX flights regularly for over two years now. I've also heard it on some mainline flights on a variety of airlines.

FAA rules or not, it does tear up the pockets on the plane. I've seen people rip the fabric or break the framework on the pocket trying to stuff a laptop in it before. It's not really a space that's made to hold something of that size and weight unless you have a very small computer, like a netbook.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 11:36 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
It has been enforced on UA with regularity for a couple of years now, if I remember correctly. On many occasions the FA announced over the PA that no laptops can be stowed in the seat pocket. It was always explained as an FAA rule regarding safety, never a security or "fabric" issue.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 1:21 am

Programs: OnePass
Exclamation The Final Word... from the FAA

http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation_industry/airline_operators/airline_safety/info/all_infos/media/2009/InFO09018.pdf

Existing Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) policy in FAA Order 8900.1, Volume 3, Chapter 33, Section 6, Operations—Cabin Safety, states that carry-on baggage programs should …”Prohibit the stowage of carry-on baggage and other items in the lavatories and seat back pockets (the only items allowed in seat back pockets should be magazines and passenger information cards)…”

Last edited by guaCOmole; Feb 26, 2010 at 1:27 am
Old Feb 26, 2010, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by guaCOmole
http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation_industry/airline_operators/airline_safety/info/all_infos/media/2009/InFO09018.pdf

Existing Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) policy in FAA Order 8900.1, Volume 3, Chapter 33, Section 6, Operations—Cabin Safety, states that carry-on baggage programs should …”Prohibit the stowage of carry-on baggage and other items in the lavatories and seat back pockets (the only items allowed in seat back pockets should be magazines and passenger information cards)…”
Well, not quite the final word because, by the FAA's own admission, it wasn't their intent to keep PAX from using the pocket for light, small items (even though that's opposed to what the letter of the reg says):

"Airline seat pockets are designed to safely hold about three pounds of weight, the F.A.A. said in a recent clarification notice sent to airlines. Therefore, the notice stated, “if small, lightweight items, such as eyeglasses or a cellphone, can be placed in the seat pocket without exceeding the total designed weight limitation of the seat pocket, or so that the seat pocket does not block anyone from evacuating the row of seats, it may be safe to do so.”"

I don't know if the "clarification notice" is available to read but I'll take the reporters word for it.

As a result, they've been allowing carriers some leeway in setting their own policy. Bottom line is that CO does not have a formal policy that's been handed down to the FA's through training, via any alerts or by verbiage in any manual. Until they do, it's not our responsibility, nor is it our place to restrict PAX from putting things in the pockets -- unless of course it's so big, heavy or bulky that it impedes the path of egress.

If anyone can find something written in the flight attendant references, I will stand corrected.

Last edited by pptp; Feb 26, 2010 at 10:03 am
Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:46 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by pptp
Well, not quite the final word because, by the FAA's own admission, it wasn't their intent to keep PAX from using the pocket for light, small items (even though that's opposed to what the letter of the reg says):

"Airline seat pockets are designed to safely hold about three pounds of weight, the F.A.A. said in a recent clarification notice sent to airlines. Therefore, the notice stated, if small, lightweight items, such as eyeglasses or a cellphone, can be placed in the seat pocket without exceeding the total designed weight limitation of the seat pocket, or so that the seat pocket does not block anyone from evacuating the row of seats, it may be safe to do so."

I don't know if the "clarification notice" is available to read but I'll take the reporters word for it.

As a result, they've been allowing carriers some leeway in setting their own policy. Bottom line is that CO does not have a formal policy that's been handed down to the FA's through training, via any alerts or by verbiage in any manual. Until they do, it's not our responsibility, nor is it our place to restrict PAX from putting things in the pockets -- unless of course it's so big, heavy or bulky that it impedes the path of egress.

If anyone can find something written in the flight attendant references, I will stand corrected.
That's my excuse to purchase a Mac Air. And now we'll have to have "seatback pocket approved laptop" labels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.