Wiki Posts
Search

canceling first leg

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2010, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways, Delta, continential
canceling first leg

I booked two round trip tickets to Charlotte from Newark for Thursday next week. As a result of a family emergency, my wife now needs to go to Tampa on Monday, but will meet me in Charlotte for the return leg of our trip. If i try to change her flight online they want to charge me $650 . I could book a new one way ticket for her at a cost of $150. Wil they cancel her return trip if she does not make the original out-bound leg. If so is there a way around this. I am a gold member and my wife is silver. Thanks
Old Feb 15, 2010, 6:05 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by hhmaker
I booked two round trip tickets to Charlotte from Newark for Thursday next week. As a result of a family emergency, my wife now needs to go to Tampa on Monday, but will meet me in Charlotte for the return leg of our trip. If i try to change her flight online they want to charge me $650 . I could book a new one way ticket for her at a cost of $150. Wil they cancel her return trip if she does not make the original out-bound leg. If so is there a way around this. I am a gold member and my wife is silver. Thanks
Yes, the return leg will be canceled if she does not take the outbound flight.

Not sure of other ways around it.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 6:06 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
BTW, Welcome to FT!
Old Feb 15, 2010, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by hhmaker
Welcome to the posting-side of FT, though I wish it were in better circumstances!

Depending on the nature of your family emergency, this may be relevant.

Also, have you considered trying to change the ticket into a circle ticket (Newark-Tampa-Charlotte-Newark) instead of buying a separate Newark-Tampa-Charlotte one? You'd have to consider the change fee, but it still could work out better overall.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA PLT
I'd at least try calling the elite desk and explaining the situation. Many of the call reps will do the best they can for you. Of course, if the first rep seems unhelpful, hang up and try again.

Deep in the fare rules, there's usually a note that change fees are waived if a family member passes away. A note further down indicates that you're charged the change fee if there's an illness in the family. At least I think that's what all this means...

SECTION 1 - WHOLLY UNUSED TICKETS - BEFORE DEPARTURE OF THE OUTBOUND IN THE EVENT OF CHANGES TO TICKETED FLIGHTS BEFORE DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY AND WITHIN TKT VALIDITY CHARGE USD 150.00 OR HIGHEST FEE OF ANY CHANGED FARE COMPONENT WITHIN JOURNEY.
SUBSECTION 1A. - WHOLLY UNUSED TICKETS - BEFORE DEPARTURE OF THE OUTBOUND IN CASES OF DEATH BEFORE DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY AND WITHIN TKT VALIDITY IN THE CASE OF DEATH OF PASSENGER OR FAMILY MEMBER - NO CHARGE OR HIGHEST FEE OF ANY CHANGED FARE COMPONENT WITHIN JOURNEY
SUBSECTION 1B. - WHOLLY UNUSED TICKETS - BEFORE DEPARTURE OF THE OUTBOUND IN CASES OF ILLNESS BEFORE DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY AND WITHIN TKT VALIDITY IN THE CASE OF ILLNESS OF PASSENGER OR FAMILY MEMBER - CHARGE USD 150.00 OR HIGHEST FEE OF ANY CHANGE FARE COMPONENT WITHIN JOURNEY.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.