Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA to start their Unlimited Domestic Upgrades March 18--Will CO follow?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA to start their Unlimited Domestic Upgrades March 18--Will CO follow?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2010, 3:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by channa
I don't see 's the difference. If it's Plat Companion at the airport, so long as there's one seat being held back, it still shafts one Elite.
It's less likely a seat will be held back at the airport for companions. If a seat is available, great. If not, we'd like to think most if not all of the eligible Elites have been upgraded at that point.

The shafted Elite at the airport is more likely to be a bottom-tier member - the Elite shafted at the window is more likely to be another Plat at a lower fare class (lower priority) or a Gold. I'm assuming this is how UA or US handles the process.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Plus CO has been (just recently) operating in a mode where they sweep EUA at T-24 hours, since they have had a glitch which was allowing low fare non-elites to get an OLCI upgrade for nominal amount.

So the way CO EUA seems to be working is that most F seats are being processed at T-24. I do not know if this is permanent or just a temporary workaround.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Bonehead
Once again you have confused the bucket that the ticket books in to with the bucket that needs to be available in order to score the M-up, which is what I was addressing.
Ummm...I don't think so. An M-Up books into ZE and posts into the account as ZM. B-Ups also book into ZE, FWIW.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by bocastephen
It's less likely a seat will be held back at the airport for companions. If a seat is available, great. If not, we'd like to think most if not all of the eligible Elites have been upgraded at that point.

The shafted Elite at the airport is more likely to be a bottom-tier member - the Elite shafted at the window is more likely to be another Plat at a lower fare class (lower priority) or a Gold. I'm assuming this is how UA or US handles the process.
Good point. If it's a low-tier member, likely doesn't matter, he's getting shafted regardless (UA usually holds some space for the gate anyway). But for the other Elites, I see your point.

Originally Posted by cova
Plus CO has been (just recently) operating in a mode where they sweep EUA at T-24 hours, since they have had a glitch which was allowing low fare non-elites to get an OLCI upgrade for nominal amount.

So the way CO EUA seems to be working is that most F seats are being processed at T-24. I do not know if this is permanent or just a temporary workaround.
Another band-aid on the system, huh?

What about people who can OLCI before 24 hours (i.e., people connecting into that flight from somewhere else)? Are those people still offered the upgrade?
Old Feb 16, 2010, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by sbm12
Ummm...I don't think so. An M-Up books into ZE and posts into the account as ZM. B-Ups also book into ZE, FWIW.
Ummm...I was referencing the bucket that must be available in order to get the M-up, which is ZN. I know you know that...

This is the post that I replied to originally:

Originally Posted by BigPoppaCO
On CO, you only get the UG on a M fare if you are a platinum and a seat is available in certain fare class (I think ZF)
Old Feb 16, 2010, 8:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, CO PM
Originally Posted by cova
Agree. DCA-IAH is easier in the AM, but difficult for the evening flights from IAH-DCA. As a Platinum I am less than 50% upgraded on IAH-DCA evening flights. And as pointed out a UA 1K will be below a CO Plat. You likely need to buy B fares to get upgraded on those evening flights as a UA 1K.

This route is elite heavy - on the IAH-DCA evening flight this past Sunday and the flight was sold out in F and others were on B ups - so no upgrades. Also - half the plane boarded with Elite access. As a Plat I was about 6 on the upgrade list out of over 20 people on the list - none of which cleared. If a UA 1K was on the list - they would likely have been 10-12 people down the list with no clears.
Many B or higher class fares are sold via government contracts on IAH <-> DCA flights that can be upgraded when making the reservation.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; BA Gold; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
I know alliance 'buddies' don't poach each other's Elites openly, but I must re-iterate my desire to see Y/B/M instant upgrades be restricted to CO Elites only.
All this discussion about Y/B/M-ups has me wondering: is this perk actually available to UA elites or is this purely a speculative concern about what may happen in the future?
Old Feb 16, 2010, 10:18 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
All this discussion about Y/B/M-ups has me wondering: is this perk actually available to UA elites or is this purely a speculative concern about what may happen in the future?
It was mentioned in the official announcement that UA Elites would receive instant upgrades on Y/B fares and UGS/1K would receive upgrades (normal availability restrictions apply) on M fares, mirroring the CO Elite experience.

If CO Elites cannot enjoy the same benefit on UA, I strongly oppose this policy - it's a short-sighted design to encourage UA Elites to buy tickets on CO and get instant upgrades (something they apparently cannot do on their home airline), removing inventory from CO Elites, which is a problem on a number of routes.

A better long-term option is for CO to advertise this is a great benefit for its own Elites and encourage other *A members to join OnePass and move their business to CO permanently. The only hitch is the no-poach rule which won't allow status matches.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
...If CO Elites cannot enjoy the same benefit on UA, I strongly oppose this policy - it's a short-sighted design to encourage UA Elites to buy tickets on CO and get instant upgrades (something they apparently cannot do on their home airline), removing inventory from CO Elites, which is a problem on a number of routes....
Maybe this is in response to CO elites gaining access to E+ gratis. Not sure the two (Y/B/M instant ups and E+) are equivalent, but one must admit that there's no real CO E+ to give back to UA folks.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Bonehead
Maybe this is in response to CO elites gaining access to E+ gratis. Not sure the two (Y/B/M instant ups and E+) are equivalent, but one must admit that there's no real CO E+ to give back to UA folks.
Not equivalent at all - and US elites are getting access to 'gratis' upgrades on CO, and our premium seats and exit rows. In fact, I suspect even the bottom tier UA elites can claim an exit row on CO while a CO Silver cannot. I'm going to re-check the official announcement to confirm that suspicion. If so, it would be completely unfair and CO Silvers should be screaming.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 10:36 am

Programs: Mosaic 2, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Premium Cabin free agent
It was mentioned in the official announcement that UA Elites would receive instant upgrades on Y/B fares and UGS/1K would receive upgrades (normal availability restrictions apply) on M fares, mirroring the CO Elite experience.

If CO Elites cannot enjoy the same benefit on UA, I strongly oppose this policy - it's a short-sighted design to encourage UA Elites to buy tickets on CO and get instant upgrades (something they apparently cannot do on their home airline), removing inventory from CO Elites, which is a problem on a number of routes.

A better long-term option is for CO to advertise this is a great benefit for its own Elites and encourage other *A members to join OnePass and move their business to CO permanently. The only hitch is the no-poach rule which won't allow status matches.
I wish UA had this benefit. Our YBMH fares need to be supported with miles or CR1's to confirm upgrades in advance, if not you will have to wait for the complimentary windows, think EUA and even then only YB fares qualify. Perhaps they will announce this change in the near future to further align with CO?

Last edited by UnitedEF; Feb 17, 2010 at 2:31 pm
Old Feb 17, 2010, 11:38 am

Not equivalent at all - and US elites are getting access to 'gratis' upgrades on CO, and our premium seats and exit rows. In fact, I suspect even the bottom tier UA elites can claim an exit row on CO while a CO Silver cannot. I'm going to re-check the official announcement to confirm that suspicion. If so, it would be completely unfair and CO Silvers should be screaming.
Just to correct my assumption here, per this post http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...id-2010-a.html, CO Exit Rows are not available to bottom-tier UA Elites...only PE, 1K and *cough* UGS.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 12:32 pm
Suspended

sorry but CO will get the better deal by getting E+ seating, thats besides free UPs to FC on UA

while UA Elites will basically get if High enough a shot at an Exit Row and EUA for FC but since even a CO Plat has trouble scoring an UP due to Y/B/M UPs basically all a UA will end with is a reg Coach seat in an area called Premium which has nothing premium about it except for the name
Old Feb 17, 2010, 12:54 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Premier Platinum
On the routes both airlines operate, I see very little incentive for a UA&CO elite to ride with CO except turkey dog. I took two transcons on UA as a CO Plat recently and really enjoy E+. Actually I got exit rows both times.

Originally Posted by craz
sorry but CO will get the better deal by getting E+ seating, thats besides free UPs to FC on UA

while UA Elites will basically get if High enough a shot at an Exit Row and EUA for FC but since even a CO Plat has trouble scoring an UP due to Y/B/M UPs basically all a UA will end with is a reg Coach seat in an area called Premium which has nothing premium about it except for the name

Last edited by westlaker; Feb 17, 2010 at 1:06 pm
Old Feb 17, 2010, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
If CO Elites cannot enjoy the same benefit on UA, I strongly oppose this policy - it's a short-sighted design to encourage UA Elites to buy tickets on CO and get instant upgrades

Why? as has been said, UA members dont' get Y/B instant upgrades. But now all you CO elites are going to be flying UA for the free E+ and a shot at an upgrade.. and realize that E+ on a 320 is a lot better than a rock hard Y- seat on CO, turkey dog or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.