Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA to start their Unlimited Domestic Upgrades March 18--Will CO follow?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA to start their Unlimited Domestic Upgrades March 18--Will CO follow?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2010, 1:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by channa
UA has instant-up fares, and has for a while, but they've been specific by market, and usually not out of Y/B.

Usually they're out of the Q bucket, and available to the general public, including non-Elites. They control the demand by trying to publish them on routes with low F demand or in markets where other airlines offer them.
I dont see why CO should have to change anything. UA isnt getting rid of E+, nor CO its so called free food and going to BoB.

If the 2 should ever merge or 1 take over the other, then and only then would I expect any major changes in the way either one operates

UAs UDU will be sort of like COs EUA. So CO has EUA and Confirmed UPs which didnt Delete EUA, except in that its a greater chance now that no FC seat wil be available come EUA running, but CO has been emptying the bucket before running EUA for some time now anyway and really only givng the Free UP on select flights at the EUA Hour
Old Feb 16, 2010, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by UnitedEF
...Sounds like on CO you can buy a M fare and if UG space is not available you get waitlisted, is that right?
I believe that you need to monitor your reservation and proactively modify it (by selecting the upgrade option) if the appropriate bucket becomes available. I've never done this personally, because if the upgrade isn't available at booking, I don't book that flight.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 2:03 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by Bonehead
I believe that you need to monitor your reservation and proactively modify it (by selecting the upgrade option) if the appropriate bucket becomes available. I've never done this personally, because if the upgrade isn't available at booking, I don't book that flight.
That is exactly how it works.

And the UA "QUPs" which were confused above, are not coach fares and do not come out of the Q bucket. They map to the CO BCOUPP fares, and are discount First (Business) fares, which pull out of the A (Z) bucket.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 2:16 pm

Programs: Mosaic 2, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Premium Cabin free agent
Originally Posted by stevenshev
That is exactly how it works.

And the UA "QUPs" which were confused above, are not coach fares and do not come out of the Q bucket. They map to the CO BCOUPP fares, and are discount First (Business) fares, which pull out of the A (Z) bucket.
Except when it goes to IRROPS on your Q or HUP and there are not more F seats on the plane. The UA GA's see the UP's as economy seats with an upgrade and not a first fare.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
I flew a couple of H-ups on UA, but I believe they were displayed as a result of a search selecting First (lowest). Sounds like on CO you can buy a M fare and if UG space is not available you get waitlisted, is that right?
On CO, you only get the UG on a M fare if you are a platinum and a seat is available in certain fare class (I think ZF)
Old Feb 16, 2010, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: plat
If companions are getting upgraded at the elite members window bye bye upgrades.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 2:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by adcollect
If companions are getting upgraded at the elite members window bye bye upgrades.
Nobody does that. NW did it at one point, but Delta cancelled that policy.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BigPoppaCO
On CO, you only get the UG on a M fare if you are a platinum and a seat is available in certain fare class (I think ZF)
This bucket:

# ZN - First/BusinessFirst non-Elite capacity controlled EasyPass reward (tracks similar to Z availability to book)
Old Feb 16, 2010, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Isn't that what UA is doing with the policy? Member + 1 companion on the same PNR will get it at the member's window.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by adcollect
Doesn't US do it today still?
Isn't that what UA is doing with the policy? Member + 1 companion on the same PNR will get it at the member's window.
That is what they announced. Implementation remains to be seen, but that is what I expect.

Originally Posted by Bonehead
This bucket:

# ZN - First/BusinessFirst non-Elite capacity controlled EasyPass reward (tracks similar to Z availability to book)
Nope...it is the ZE bucket. Similar but slightly different.

Except when it goes to IRROPS on your Q or HUP and there are not more F seats on the plane. The UA GA's see the UP's as economy seats with an upgrade and not a first fare.
And this is an incorrect application of their rules. You are, in fact, entitled to downgrade compensation. I've received such a couple times.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 3:16 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
They will actually process the upgrade at the member's window with the same priority as the member?? That is crazy.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 3:29 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
They will actually process the upgrade at the member's window with the same priority as the member?? That is crazy.
Why? Because it's not what you're used to?
Old Feb 16, 2010, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
...Nope...it is the ZE bucket. Similar but slightly different....
Once again you have confused the bucket that the ticket books in to with the bucket that needs to be available in order to score the M-up, which is what I was addressing.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by stevenshev
Why? Because it's not what you're used to?
Because it shafts Elites at each lower tier. I can understand clearing Elite companions at the airport, assigned to their sponsor's priority, but not at their window...especially on a fairly Elite-heavy airline like UA.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Because it shafts Elites at each lower tier. I can understand clearing Elite companions at the airport, assigned to their sponsor's priority, but not at their window...especially on a fairly Elite-heavy airline like UA.
I don't see 's the difference. If it's Plat Companion at the airport, so long as there's one seat being held back, it still shafts one Elite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.