Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Dumped me -did you get dumped too?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2010, 4:15 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cova
If you have the spend limit to reach Presidental Platinum, I wonder how CO will handle Chase cancelling people's MC's. You still need to get a Presidental Plus Chase MasterCard through the normal Chase credit card process. The Presidental Platinum status just pays the $375 yearly fee.
CO Insider's post on this stated that you had to still qualify for the credit card. If you don't you will not get the associated benefits. It is pretty clever how they are waiving the fee for the credit card but not giving a PC membership.

"A little something extra. Members residing in the Mainland U.S. and Alaska will additionally be eligible for a fee-waived Continental Airlines Presidential Plus World MasterCard for every qualifying year as a Presidential Platinum Elite member including a Presidents Club membership and additional benefits. The Presidential Plus card and access to its benefits are subject to credit approval. Members residing outside of our marketing area for the Presidential Plus card (residence in Hawaii and outside the U.S.) will automatically receive 25,000 OnePass bonus miles instead"
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Are those the default limits or do you need to request them? I haven't been able to find anything about their limits on their website...or the CO/Chase info area.

25k bonus miles for signing up does sound worth it though. Just the nearest Chase branch is about an hour away from me.
Those are the default limits for the preferred card. As far as the distance from the branch, unless you have a lot of cash or paperchecks to deposit, it has never been a problem for me. The nearest Chase or Citibank branch from me is about 150 miles away. All my electronic payments are directed to either Chase or Citibank and I have a local, free account, for local checks and cash deposits. Citibank has a lot of free associated ATMs where you do not have to pay fees, while you will find Chase ATMs at all Walgreens. So it might be worth to take a drive for those 25K miles.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 2:05 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by terminalc
I can understand. It's freedom. I can reach into my mailbox, throw what little is there away knowing that I'm not throwing out any bills. No credit cards, no mortgage, no car notes. Freedom.
Freedom? It's anathema! How do you rent a car or get a hotel room without a credit card?

RNE, saying, "I credit cards."
Old Jan 15, 2010, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
Freedom? It's anathema! How do you rent a car or get a hotel room without a credit card?

RNE, saying, "I credit cards."
As one who has spent over 100 nights in hotels and has over 50 rentals each year, it can be done. You just have to make sure to have enough cash in your account to cover the holds and not be overdrawn. I have a separate checking account that is designated as my travel account. I usually make sure that I have about $1000 more than my estimated expenses. That way I have no worries.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 9:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by terminalc
I can understand. It's freedom. I can reach into my mailbox, throw what little is there away knowing that I'm not throwing out any bills. No credit cards, no mortgage, no car notes. Freedom.
Good grief, it ain't that hard...

I enjoy the rewards I reap from credit card loyalty systems. I carry no debt except a small mortage (which could be paid if I chose). It doesn't have to be "either/or"

But as always, to each their own.

Regards
Old Jan 16, 2010, 3:32 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Vistana Chairman
Originally Posted by scubadu
Good grief, it ain't that hard...

I enjoy the rewards I reap from credit card loyalty systems. I carry no debt except a small mortage (which could be paid if I chose). It doesn't have to be "either/or"

But as always, to each their own.

Regards
Agree. My only true debt is my mortgage. I pay the CC in full each month and I love those points/miles!
Old Jan 16, 2010, 8:18 am
RNE

Originally Posted by docr775
As one who has spent over 100 nights in hotels and has over 50 rentals each year...
OK. Maybe you can do that without a credit card, but it's a bit like saying you can sing the national anthem while standing on your head. That's way cool, and all, but why make it so difficult? As my esteemed fellows point out, one may reap rewards from credit cards

RNE, saying, "unless, of course, you're afraid of 'em."
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:17 am

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k, Airtran Wendy's cups
Originally Posted by docr775
Get the debit card. You can still earn miles, you still get the bagage fee waived, if you ever loose your elite status, and you do not have to worry about having a balance. I have been credit card free for 8 years now, my credit score is getting close to zero because everything is paid of as nine months ago and I pay for everything with cash.
350 is the lowest credit score, and that's nothing to brag about. Not having credit will hurt you if you ever need credit.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 3:28 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by RNE
The way I collect major credit cards (30+), were I to receive a Dear John letter from Chase (or any other major bank), I'd be so distraught a vodka and Xanax bender would be in the offing!
OMG! The dreaded letter arrived today. Not from Chase, thankfully, but from Citibank. They closed one of my cards for lack of use. The Citi card was one of my oldest cards. Went way back to the Reagan era! And you know how good those longstanding open accounts look on one's credit report. Ugh!

Bad: This further concentrates my dependency on Chase for my credit card fix, a distasteful trend that began when Wachovia et al. sold their card business to Chase. I have had various non-Chase cards that gradually became Chase. Now I have more Chase cards than from any other bank.

Worse: I'm running scared. For decades I'd apply for, get approved and then never use the card. Now I'm going to have to start putting petty charges on all my cards, occasionally. That is a formidable chore considering I count my cards by dozens!

RNE, saying, "Give me an X...Give me an A... Give me an N..."
Old Jul 19, 2010, 8:17 pm

Programs: CO Pres. Plat, SPG
I'd used my Chase credit card for a few small purchases, but nothing major. Paid it off each month.

Had a ridiculous limit on it, though, which made my overall utilization across my cards look really great.

My MIL came to visit the US. We took a nice trip, and were in our second week of hotels and flights and general vacation expenses when I logged in to the online banking to pay bills.

I noticed that they cut my limit to just $100 more than my outstanding authorizations. Called, told that there was nothing they could do. Asked for decision to be reevaluated. Told them to look at my deposit accounts, where I just received a wire large enough to pay off the entire balance right then. I've never had issue with paying my debts, was not delinquent anywhere, etc. They pulled my report again and said I was rejected.

Three weeks later I got a letter in the mail. Telling me my limit was being cut because of my "rapidly increasing balance".

Then, I got another letter from the re-evaluation. It rejected me because of my "high utilization across accounts". Classy.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by RNE
"Give me an X...Give me an A... Give me an N..."
Old Jul 20, 2010, 5:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
Chase is every bit the POS bank that Citi is. They both talk how they want to help the American businessman with easier credit and then they stab people like you in the back. I know 3 people that work there that said they had their pay cut almost 40% and say you'd be lucky to find 1 or 2 people in their building that enjoy working for them
Old Jul 20, 2010, 5:18 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by CNJMichael
The ideal customer? When I worked in the industry more than three years ago, the best customer carried a balance, paid monthly interest charges, and had a payment rate at least 2x the minimum.
I think the definition of ideal customer has changed in the last few years after the debt crisis. Now it is a high user who pays off the charges. They get their 2% from merchants without fail with no risk.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 8:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, I miss GS
Define "high utilization" and "high user"

I use 3 credit cards primarly for business; my PPlus is primary ($8-$10K/mo) and two backups (<$500/mo); all cards are paid off monthly.

I still dont see why they would cancel / reject a card you have to pay for.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 5:07 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by matthopp
I still dont see why they would cancel / reject a card you have to pay for.
You are high utilization. Chase is making a bundle off of your purchases.

Generally speaking, the easiest cards to get are ones with annual fees...unless there's something shakey in one's credit picture. Times are different now, of course. Who knows how Chase's "revenue management" looks at the world?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.