Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Rumor: UA Disables IFE on International flights after NWA Incident.. Will CO follow?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor: UA Disables IFE on International flights after NWA Incident.. Will CO follow?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2009, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by CALfly5
Armed police will patrol the aisles looking for anyone who appears to be getting restless and use a taser to "readjust" their attitudes.

Welcome to Con Air, civilian transport version, 2010.
We already have armed Federal Air Marshals on many international US O/D flights. Yet, their mission is so centered on a knee-jerk reaction to the manner in which the 9/11 attacks were carried out, and they didn't really adapt to more modern threats. Since the flight deck door was strengthened attacks on the flight deck are a lot tougher, and the back of the cabin has now become the arena of combat. We've seen this evidenced with attempted "shoe bomber," Richard Reid, and the UK thwarted attack that brought the liquids ban. Now with the DL/NW shenanigans we see further evidence that the arena of attack has moved to the back of the cabin, and that any FAMs or other on-board security really need a full view of the cabin, and not to be stuck staggered in the first two rows of F or BF, taking up two or more of some of CO's highest revenue potential seats!

What good does it do sitting in row 1 or 2 if the threat to the aircraft can only best be viewed from row 45?

My greatest fear in all of this is airline employee ignorance, and once such goofball restrictions are ultimately lifted, you'll still have FAs enforcing the government's silly rules. Much like the DCA "30-minute rule," being enforced well beyond its suspension.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 9:26 am

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass®, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
Sicko, after the shoe bomber you've got businessmen taking off their shoes to get through security, next the knee-jerk liquid limitation. Just wait 'till a terrorist transvestite gets caught with dynamite titties.

They don't even have to do any damage to screw up the system.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by walkerci
If ever there was a just cause for civil disobedience, this is it.
Well, it looks like reading the inflight magazine will count as civil disobedience. This whole thing is completely insane. There are reports of TATL flights operating with no IFE or lighting... FAs forbidding people to do anything for eight hours other than sit in the dark staring at the seat in front of them. How long before passengers start to go nuts?

Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
My greatest fear in all of this is airline employee ignorance, and once such goofball restrictions are ultimately lifted, you'll still have FAs enforcing the government's silly rules.
This is already a huge problem -- crazy FAs making up federal regulations to screw with passengers or avoid responsibility. The annoyance factor has just been trebled, and there's no way to police it or even question it. For the ten percent of flight attendants I believe are mentally ill -- I'm not kidding -- this new lunacy is their holiday bonus.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 9:59 am

Programs: Bonvoy-Gold, HH-Gold, UA-Gold, *A-Gold
One thing I don't get about the "sit in your seat" for the last hour rule...to what effect?

Is is that the flight crew or air marshall can see if someone is doing something belligerent easier? It can't be because they think it will STOP the person from trying to light/ignite the device or substance. He was going to that ANWAY

What about the Dutch guy who lept over seats to tackle the bomber....would HE be tackled by an air marshall because he violated this rule? He got out of his seat an hour before landing SHOOT HIM!!! Even though you just shot the guy who saw someone do something suspicious!!!

I think these things are done because not because they are effective...but because it gives the appearance of DOING SOMETHING ANYTHING. We are all experienced fliers gristled by miles and miles of experience; but all you need is some sweet young mother idiot who flys once every five years and doesn't want to die on her one flight in five years saying "I am glad they have all this extra security" and some idiot reporter running with the story because it sells.

- HF
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:18 am

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.9 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
While they're at it, let's just make everyone fly in a Speedo and flip-flops. That should make the security screening go quicker.

Seriously, looks like the idiots in Washington, D.C. are setting rash-made decisions without any thinking if they make sense or not. And, the airlines are making similar stupid interpretations of the policies.

I'm all for security but it needs to be LOGICAL security.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:19 am

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.9 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
Originally Posted by HobokenFlyer
but all you need is some sweet young mother idiot who flys once every five years and doesn't want to die on her one flight in five years saying "I am glad they have all this extra security" and some idiot reporter running with the story because it sells.
+1.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
life it too short to spend too much time being felt up by TSA people
Personally, I don't mind getting felt up by some of the hot Israeli security dudes. But they're ususally in their mid-20s and cute. They also know what they are doing. So they are really nothing like the TSA I suppose.

Israeli security works because they look for the people who might cause a problem. If you're a 65 year old couple you're not likely to be a threat. If you're a 20-something Nigerian muslim, you might set off some red flags. The US and EU nations are too PC to do something sensible like that; we don't need to go as far as Israeli security, nor do we have the capacity to do it even if we wanted to.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 12:06 pm
Suspended

Hey wait maybe the next Muslim will set it off as the plane taxis from the Jetway.

I think the Feds should be on top of this and nip it in the bud, by simply closing US air space to any and all Commerical traffic, that should solve teh problem.

Wouldnt be surprised if the Idiots actually came thru with something like this

To all who claimed it was Bush , well hes long gone and these new Rules are worse then anything that came along when he was around and none of his people are around either, what say ye now
Old Dec 27, 2009, 12:21 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by craz
To all who claimed it was Bush , well hes long gone and these new Rules are worse then anything that came along when he was around and none of his people are around either, what say ye now
Yep. It's all part of the plan. We've now gone to the government telling us when we can read, have a blanket, and go to the restroom.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 12:21 pm

Programs: Continental Airlines
Reminder

Those who will give up liberty for safety shall have and deserve neither.
-Ben Franklin.

Please do not take me along for the ride.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz Platinum
If there's any silver lining to this it might be increased standard award availability if enough people are scared off from traveling. Won't help the quarterly results much, but hey.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Steve M
If there's any silver lining to this it might be increased standard award availability if enough people are scared off from traveling. Won't help the quarterly results much, but hey.
if thats the case it should be MR haven, a sthey will have to do something to fill the planes, or maybe they will bring back DEQM.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by craz
or maybe they will bring back DEQM.
Maybe DEQM Internacionale.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 2:19 pm

I wonder how many people are adding, "fly less" to their 2010 New Year's resolutions. This can't be good for the airline industry.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by usa18dca
I'm now wondering if I can reroute my UA Y Flexible Ticket to a LH IAD-MUC-CDG instead to avoid this idiocy in place...
Just landed in Boston from Frankfurt on my LH flight and I can confirm that flight map was disabled. Announcement was made at the start of the flight that this is now the TSA rule for all US bound flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.