Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any advantage to reaching 100,000 miles?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2009, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by woolfcross
I'm at 92,500 miles and counting, with another couple of trips ahead. Now that I've more than re-qualified for Platinum Elite, is there any advantage to flying Continental and reaching the 100,000 mark? (i.e. is there any super-elite, "secret-handshake" level with an extra perk or two?).
I'm at 177k+EQM for the year and I've gotten exactly since exceeding 75k!!!
Old Dec 3, 2009, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
To me - the big reason to keep flying CO - is that I am flying the airline that I want to fly.

CO was just awarded the OAG award for best US Airline and Best BC.

At 169K EQM this year, 1.45MM, Lifetime Plat Status - no reason for me to ever fly CO again to keep status - but I prefer flying CO over the other US carriers and will continue to.

Status means nothing unless you fly - except maybe the 4 drink coupons you get each year - but then you have to fly CO to use them.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 3:36 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by cova
Status means nothing unless you fly - except maybe the 4 drink coupons you get each year - but then you have to fly CO to use them.
And... you have to drink adult beverages or they are worthless @:-)
Old Dec 3, 2009, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by xyzzy
I'm at 177k+EQM for the year and I've gotten exactly since exceeding 75k!!!

ditto. although i did get a blanket on my flight this morning!
Old Dec 4, 2009, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, US Air Gold, Starwood Platinum
To me - the big reason to keep flying CO - is that I am flying the airline that I want to fly.

CO was just awarded the OAG award for best US Airline and Best BC.

At 169K EQM this year, 1.45MM, Lifetime Plat Status - no reason for me to ever fly CO again to keep status - but I prefer flying CO over the other US carriers and will continue to.

Me too. That's why I switched from USAir and have never looked back. But sometimes Continental doesn't have the best route from point A to point B. I prefer flying CO, but not if it means an extra stop or two along the way. Also, though I would never have believed I would say this, EWR turns out to be an even worse airport to connect through than PHL.

Thus, my question, already very well answered by so many, including those with a lot more body-in-seat miles than I have (but no apparent additional perks). Thanks to all!
Old Dec 4, 2009, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Originally Posted by belynch
How does one determine ?
When they hold a departure for you, that might be a tip.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sapman986
How do you figure out if you are CO* these days? I was CO* a few years ago (was told so by a couple of CO employees), but am not sure how you would find this out. I spent a lot of money on CO this year and wonder whether I made this 'status'.
I believe it will show up on the scanners at the gate. Like others have said, it's basically useless so I'm not sure why it would even matter if someone was CO* or not.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by radonc1
And... you have to drink adult beverages or they are worthless @:-)
If you don't drink they make for great gifts. I know a few folks who enjoy receiving them.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 6:07 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
I echo xyzzy's and cova's sentiments. I am at over 165,000 EQM this year and counting.

Since passing 100K I notice the same attention, special winks, hugs and kisses, secret handshakes, butt-kissing and general *special favors* I have always received from my CO.

It has nothing to do with "status," *'s or miles. It's all about the attitude, baby...
Old Dec 9, 2009, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, US Air Gold, Starwood Platinum
We have the answer

Think we have the answer, guys. Starting next year, it will be good to reach the 100,000 mile mark to get the system-wide upgrades!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.