Any advantage to reaching 100,000 miles?

Old Dec 3, 09, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, US Air Gold, Starwood Platinum
Any advantage to reaching 100,000 miles?

Hi, All!

I'm at 92,500 miles and counting, with another couple of trips ahead. Now that I've more than re-qualified for Platinum Elite, is there any advantage to flying Continental and reaching the 100,000 mark? (i.e. is there any super-elite, "secret-handshake" level with an extra perk or two?).

Or should I use another Star Alliance carrier, one with perhaps a better schedule of flights/airports for these last few domestic-travel legs?

Will appreciate any and all advice!
Old Dec 3, 09, 1:27 pm

Programs: CO PLAT
Originally Posted by woolfcross View Post
Hi, All!

I'm at 92,500 miles and counting, with another couple of trips ahead. Now that I've more than re-qualified for Platinum Elite, is there any advantage to flying Continental and reaching the 100,000 mark? (i.e. is there any super-elite, "secret-handshake" level with an extra perk or two?).

Or should I use another Star Alliance carrier, one with perhaps a better schedule of flights/airports for these last few domestic-travel legs?

Will appreciate any and all advice!

No.....Nor was there much advantage these days to obtaining Plat status.
Old Dec 3, 09, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Houston2mnl View Post
Such a helpful remark.

A few, more helpful thoughts:

1. No sense in trying to gain 8K miles for status on another carrier, unless you plan on supplementing those miles at a later time.

2. Although there are no additional benefits (vis-a-vis Elite Status), the more miles you earn gets you that much closer to 1MM status. Plus you keep earning 2x RDMs, which, in your case is 16K RDM.

3. Technically, you might become CO* - but to be fair, noone really knows what that gets you.

4. You can still fly those other more accessible *A airlines, and still get OP credit.

Last edited by aacharya; Dec 3, 09 at 2:01 pm
Old Dec 3, 09, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA PLAT, SPG PLAT. Collector of Chase UR points
Originally Posted by Houston2mnl View Post
I disagree. I have found becoming a platinum elite to be very beneficial, particularly the redeposit fee waiver on changes or redeposits to award reservations and the fee free same day confirmed change. The increased platinum only award availability is a big

Last edited by jrzyshawn; Dec 3, 09 at 1:57 pm
Old Dec 3, 09, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya View Post
3. Technically, you might become CO* - but to be fair, noone really knows what that gets you.
How do you figure out if you are CO* these days? I was CO* a few years ago (was told so by a couple of CO employees), but am not sure how you would find this out. I spent a lot of money on CO this year and wonder whether I made this 'status'.
Old Dec 3, 09, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Exceeding 100k miles will grant you first choice from the biscuit / cinnamon basket on select flights*.

*this benefit is not available on flights without breakfast service, when they substitute those stupid croissants, or routes that go to or from IAH, EWR, or CLE.
Old Dec 3, 09, 2:38 pm
Moderator: United MileagePlus

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past. (IAH, DEN, YKF)
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
There's no benefit of increased status (uber-Plat) but there is the benefit of status (mileage bonus, EUAs, etc.)
Old Dec 3, 09, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
Originally Posted by aacharya View Post

I have over 120000 EQMs this year and I am not CO*
Old Dec 3, 09, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sapman986 View Post
How do you figure out if you are CO* these days? I was CO* a few years ago (was told so by a couple of CO employees), but am not sure how you would find this out. I spent a lot of money on CO this year and wonder whether I made this 'status'.
Try to see that dot-matrix printout that the GA has (or that is sometimes left near the airplane door, right near the A/V controls). Since I'm usually camped there waiting for the rest of the pax to put their luggage away, I always try to catch a glimpse. (not for my name, but just for kicks)
Old Dec 3, 09, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by rolov View Post
I have over 120000 EQMs this year and I am not CO*
How does one determine ?
Old Dec 3, 09, 2:42 pm

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
Originally Posted by sapman986 View Post
Since there are no published benefits and no anecdotal evidence of unpublished benefits the need to know if you are CO* or not is really irrelevant. If you have a burning desire to know you can try to get a peek at the passenger manifest. If you are CO* there will be a "*" next to your name.
Old Dec 3, 09, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, US Air Gold, Starwood Platinum
Thanks for the great replies, ranging from the very informative and helpful
(aacharya and jrzyshawn in particular) to the amusing (belynch--I remember your name from the U.S. Air forum. I'm another former U.S. Chairman member who jumped ship to Continental a couple of years ago. And I've rarely had reason to regret that decision.)

I DO like the biscuit/cinnamon basket, but I think I'll book my remaining flights depending on schedule/convenience of flights and airports, as no one seems to know if CO* even exists, much less offers any benefits.

One thought: offering a CO* benefit in the internet age, with wonderful information-sharing tools like FlyerTalk, might prove problematical. For there would surely be at least one newly-crowned uber-elite who could not resist boasting and sharing the detail of their status, thus creating a clamor for it. CO* was easier to bestow in the pre-flyertalk era, I'm guessing.
Old Dec 3, 09, 3:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by woolfcross View Post
One thought: offering a CO* benefit in the internet age, with wonderful information-sharing tools like FlyerTalk, might prove problematical. For there would surely be at least one newly-crowned uber-elite who could not resist boasting and sharing the detail of their status, thus creating a clamor for it. CO* was easier to bestow in the pre-flyertalk era, I'm guessing.
There was no CO* in the pre-FT era, at least not one that anyone knew about.

United's GS seems to do fine with people clammoring to get it and bragging about it. I'm not sure that it really matters too much.
Old Dec 3, 09, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Hilton Gold, SPG lifetime Platinum, Maker's Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by COpltASgldPHX View Post
Since there are no published benefits and no anecdotal evidence of unpublished benefits the need to know if you are CO* or not is really irrelevant. If you have a burning desire to know you can try to get a peek at the passenger manifest. If you are CO* there will be a "*" next to your name.
I've also seen CO* beside my name when they run my boarding pass through the machine as you board the plane. Plus, I've also asked in the PC, and they've confirmed CO*. Still no idea what this means or offers, other than I spend too much time and money on a plane.
Old Dec 3, 09, 4:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by timg View Post
I've also seen CO* beside my name when they run my boarding pass through the machine as you board the plane. Plus, I've also asked in the PC, and they've confirmed CO*. Still no idea what this means or offers, other than I spend too much time and money on a plane.
Exactly - this is the most obvious way of seeing, rather than trying to secretly look at manifests?

The only time I've ever seen a hint of it being a benefit was when trying to do a last-minute move to an earlier flight in IAH, the agent in the PC called the gate saying "I have a CO* here I need you to put on your flight".

I probably would have got on anyway but it was noteworthy as it was the only time I'd heard it mentioned.

Search this Thread