Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Added security measures while boarding flight home

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2009, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,

I flew home to DTW from LAS today (via IAH) and was surprised upon boarding when a 2nd "Security" table was set up in the jetway. I was 3rd in line of 1st Class Passengers boarding when a man ahead of me was stopped for an additional inspection. He was holding a bottle of water and they actually took it and poured some in a small cup, asking the passenger something I couldn't hear. I've never seen anything like that before. After we clear security, we ARE allowed to buy bottled water. Has anyone else noticed this added security?

I didn't stop and watch what was going on because I didn't feel like attracting attention and going through security again. I always re-pack my liquids before boarding the plane so the ones I need are with me and the ones I don't go in my roller bag. So I would've had to unpack a lot of stuff. Anyway, they'd made the jetway longer by having us walk through one entrance and then walk down a long hallway where the table was set up by the "door" to the actual jetway. Two security people stood behind a small wooden table and they called out this man right away. And he barely had a few sips left of the water, quite evident when they poured some out.

I've been re-searched a few times in foreign countries (Mexico being the one that stands out the most in my mind, though it's been years) but I've never seen it happen in the states. It makes little sense to me as the man wasn't breaking any rules, but it sure made me curious. Anyone else notice an added inspection for some before boarding? I was going on no sleep and anxious to just get in and get settled, but it did stand out as one of the more curious things to happen while traveling lately. It didn't happen on either flights to LAS on Saturday, just today on the way home. I had to blink twice to make sure I was seeing what I was seeing, and have no idea who else, if anyone, was searched again. Probably, I mean, they set up a new station and all, but I fell asleep within minutes of sitting down so I actually forgot about it until now. Strange day.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 9:31 pm

Programs: DL Silver (0.239 MM), DL SkyClub Life, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Gate searches -- still?!? AAARRRHHHGGG!!!

Everytime I see this, it's as if a little part of my country/the Constitution has died. I sometimes wonder if we're any better than the Soviets with these conditions on internal travel (wait'll see you see on of these gate searches with an ID check thrown in. Been there, done that).
Old Nov 18, 2009, 1:59 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Last month flying VS LAS-LGW, one had to pass by a set of tables on each side of the jetway. 8 TSA rentacops were staggered through the jetway toward the a/c stopping and interrogating random pax.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 5:00 am

it always makes me wonder if they think they have holes in their security and there is a need to recheck people that have already been screened.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
I have been noting these gate screenings on my twitter account. IAH-LGA and LGA-IAH seems have them continually, not even random.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 7:09 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by galeaoguy
it always makes me wonder if they think they have holes in their security and there is a need to recheck people that have already been screened.
IMHO, gate screenings are an exercise in make-work for an overstaffed bureaucracy
Old Nov 18, 2009, 7:52 am

Programs: UA 1k
Got one a month ago in ANC, though they only randomly rechecked credentials, not the bags.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 8:01 am

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat
I got hit with one of these on Friday IAH-AUS, then about a month and a half ago IAH-CLE. The guy on Friday tried to throw me for a loop, though. He asked for my ID and asked if I grew up in Houston. I grew up about 60 miles south of Houston, but most people don't know of the town, so I said yeah. Then he asked where I went to High School, and I told him where I went, in a town south of Houston. He didn't ask me anything else, so I guess I passed. He was really slick, too. He was more conversational than any other TSA agent I've encountered...it wasn't like he was questioning me.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 8:24 am

I had it on my EWR-LAS on Nov 7th flying in first I was the first or 2nd person to walk up a jetway and of course was pulled out to get a pat down. On the way back LAS-EWR on the 10th same thing only this time they didn't pick me.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 8:28 am

Programs: CO Plat, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by thaliajen
...After we clear security, we ARE allowed to buy bottled water. Has anyone else noticed this added security?
This reply is only slightly off-topic since it refers to an international flight originating in China. Nevertheless it's a cautionary tale.
On all my trips from BJS - EWR on CO 88, the final preboarding security check took away all beverages that were purchased in the safe area. I felt sorry for the guy who had a dozen cans of beer that he's gotten at Duty Free. They also took away all water that they found.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jadenus
I got hit with one of these on Friday IAH-AUS, then about a month and a half ago IAH-CLE. The guy on Friday tried to throw me for a loop, though. He asked for my ID and asked if I grew up in Houston. I grew up about 60 miles south of Houston, but most people don't know of the town, so I said yeah. Then he asked where I went to High School, and I told him where I went, in a town south of Houston. He didn't ask me anything else, so I guess I passed. He was really slick, too. He was more conversational than any other TSA agent I've encountered...it wasn't like he was questioning me.

I wonder what happens if you refuse to give ID.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
He was questioning you, not making pleasant conversation. These so-called behavior detection smurfs are best ignored - and you can respond to them with 'none of your business' or just grunt. Another good skill to acquire is the ability to 'fart on demand', thus bringing your smurf encounter to a quick and pleasant end....maybe not pleasant for them, but you get the idea
Old Nov 18, 2009, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Hartmann

I wonder what happens if you refuse to give ID.
Something like this...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...how-id-15.html
Old Nov 18, 2009, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I simply wouldn't answer him. It's none of his business where I live, where I went to school, etc. I'm an American traveling inside my own country. POUND SAND.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold
....he was just hitting on you...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.