Search

Dublin - Occasional monthly meetup

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2009, 10:49 pm

Programs: DL:Diamond, United:1P, Continental: Plat, HH:Gold, SPG:Gold
so...wait..

Originally Posted by aidanc
Hi,

I'm hoping to arrange an occasional Dublin meetup with some of the locals, and anyone passing though the city.

The March Doodle...

http://www.doodle.com/xxas4eiv53m65q4r

Venue

Lincoln’s Inn

Date: Saturday 28th March 2009
Time: 18:00 Local

URL: www.lincolninn.ie

MAP: http://www.google.com/maps/ms?source...49b547e5b4c9d1

Getting There from the Airport

I know that there are a few FTers coming in to Dublin for the weekend on an MR.

The best way to get to the pub (or the city center) is to take one of the bus services. A taxi will cost about €30 for the journey (maybe a bit less).

Option 1 - Dublin Bus Route 747

URL: www.dublinbus.ie

For €6 one way, this bus leaves from outside arrivals, and will take you directly to the central bus station (Busarus) via our new port tunnel. It's a 10 minute walk from Busarus to the venue.

There is a bus (approx) every 10 minutes.

Edit to add:

http://www.dublinbus.ie/fares_and_tickets/daily.asp

There is a €6 rambler ticket which covers the airport route, and regular buses. Not covered are the Night buses. Depends on how late we're going to be out

Option 2 - Aircoach - Routes to Sandyford or Ballsbridge

URL: www.aircoach.ie

For €8 one way (€14 return), this bus leaves from outside arrivals, and will take you through the center of the city stopping at some central locations and hotels.

This bus has two stops close to the venue. Merrion Square is about 4 minutes walk. College Green is about 6 minutes.

Staying in Hotels

I'm sure that you've all this orgainised. If you need specific details, PM me.

Eating

I was hoping that we could eat at at Lincoln's Inn, but it looks like their menu is sandwiches only after 3pm.

I can suggest where the bmi crowd met in December - Milano's (the Irish Version of Pizza Express).

URL: www.milano.ie/find-a-restaurant/restaurant/5110

I'm taking other suggestions as well. PM.

Saturday night can be quite busy in Dublin, so getting a table for 10-12 will need to be booked in advance.

Anything Else

PM me if I've forgotten anything.

Aidan

So what is the final word? Are we meeting for sure for sure at the Inn for drinks only? Or meeting elsewhere for dinner? Or meeting at the Inn for drinks then heading elsewhere for dinner? I'll be in town with a group of 5 Yankees on a MR- our first international MR as a fact. Can't wait to meet you all!
Old Mar 16, 2009, 7:02 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Delta Platinum, Marriott Gold, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jenniparks
So what is the final word? Are we meeting for sure for sure at the Inn for drinks only? Or meeting elsewhere for dinner? Or meeting at the Inn for drinks then heading elsewhere for dinner? I'll be in town with a group of 5 Yankees on a MR- our first international MR as a fact. Can't wait to meet you all!
Jenni:

I think on the lat meet in February, they all started at the Lincoln Inn and then moved on Milano's for dinner afterwards. Maybe aidanc can clarify, but I think that's what happened.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by MCI777
I think on the last meet in February, they all started at the Lincoln Inn and then moved on Milano's for dinner afterwards. Maybe aidanc can clarify, but I think that's what happened.
That was exactly it. Short pre-meal drinks (Lincoln Inn), meal (Milano) and a walk* afterwards. Very civilised.

I'll update the first post during the week.

Aidan

* Might go back to the pub this time - managed a late pint with GoldCircle the last time. Depends on people's jet-lag.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 12:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
so, the idea is to meet at 6 PM on Saturday the 28th at the Pub? According to Doodle we have at least 10 FT's in Dublin that night...

I'm flying in on AA 92, landing early Friday morning, returning to the States on AA 93 on Monday. I booked three nights at the Globetrotter Inn Hostel...
I was planning on doing a tour of the Guinness factory on Saturday afternoon, if anyone is interested...
Old Mar 16, 2009, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Delta Platinum, Marriott Gold, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jfkeze
so, the idea is to meet at 6 PM on Saturday the 28th at the Pub? According to Doodle we have at least 10 FT's in Dublin that night...

I was planning on doing a tour of the Guinness factory on Saturday afternoon, if anyone is interested...
My friend Shannon and I may definitely join you on the Guinness tour. ^
Old Mar 18, 2009, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA1K, UC. AA- EXP, AC, Avis First, Marriott Plat Premier, HH-Diamond
I'd like to join the Guinness tour as well. I'm booked into the Shelbourne.

Chris
Old Mar 23, 2009, 9:10 am
Original Poster

A small bump - hope to meet people at the weekend.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by aidanc
A small bump - hope to meet people at the weekend.
Likewise, Aidan. This weekend should be fun for all. ^
Old Mar 23, 2009, 10:41 am

guys:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...0-ord-dub.html

Originally Posted by eireman
Heads up- industrial action planned for Dublin airport on March 30( part of national strike)- potential to delay/cancel above flights.
Not good!!! planning backups as we speak... can't really lose that many vacation days!

SIPTU has indicated that its members at Dublin, Cork, and Shannon Airports plan to stop work between 4.00am and noon on Monday. Mandate members at Dublin and Cork Airports have also indicated that they will take industrial action on March 30.

AA 93 leaves at 10.30 , so clearly this flight will be delayed , if not canceled... gonna call AA to see what my alternatives look like...
Old Mar 23, 2009, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by jfkeze
guys:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...0-ord-dub.html

Not good!!! planning backups as we speak... can't really lose that many vacation days!

SIPTU has indicated that its members at Dublin, Cork, and Shannon Airports plan to stop work between 4.00am and noon on Monday. Mandate members at Dublin and Cork Airports have also indicated that they will take industrial action on March 30.

AA 93 leaves at 10.30 , so clearly this flight will be delayed , if not canceled... gonna call AA to see what my alternatives look like...
can you let me know what AA tells you.

My wife is flying back to LAX that day and they were not willing yet to let me move her to the April 1 flight.

She is in J and connecting on a 767 ex ORD, any delays at DUB and she will miss that flight and end up on a MD80

Remember anyone that is looking to get protected on the Sunday flight is that the clocks go forward that day so you lose a hours sleep and the potential to miss your flight etc
Old Mar 23, 2009, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by eireman
can you let me know what AA tells you.

My wife is flying back to LAX that day and they were not willing yet to let me move her to the April 1 flight.

She is in J and connecting on a 767 ex ORD, any delays at DUB and she will miss that flight and end up on a MD80

Remember anyone that is looking to get protected on the Sunday flight is that the clocks go forward that day so you lose a hours sleep and the potential to miss your flight etc
they told me to wait and see if a a travel disruption alert pops up on AA.com, , basically I can't change flights (without paying fare differentials and the $150 fee) until that pops up... I'm going to buy a cheap 30 buck travel insurance policy just in case
Old Mar 23, 2009, 3:12 pm

remember there is no Tuesday flight scheduled ex DUB

Wonder if they would run it is Monday gets cancelled
Old Mar 24, 2009, 9:06 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
I seem to have dropped the ball on this. Is there still room for one more Satruday night at 6PM at the Lincoln Inn?

A contact has managed to pry loose a ticket to Ireland/Bulgaria Saturday night. As a USSF Youth Referee (retired) AND and Irshman, this is a dream for me. However, I forgot that my wife (CME_Flyer) would like to attend and since we are at the Westin, this is walking distance.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Vulcan
I seem to have dropped the ball on this. Is there still room for one more Satruday night at 6PM at the Lincoln Inn?
Sure - it's a pub, there'll be standing room at a minimum.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 8:14 am

GOOD NEWS:

It appears that the ICTU has called off the strike for Monday March 30, so enjoy your weekends in Dublin.( per RTE.ie)

Kind of jealous of you guys going to the Lincoln, that was my pub while I was at Trinity College

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.