Search

Dinner around DEN airport/Aurora area, Saturday November 1

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2008, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Dinner around DEN airport/Aurora area, Saturday November 1

Margoz and I are making our many times postponed driving along the remnants of the depression era Lincoln Highway trip soon.

We arrive into DEN from SYD/LAX at about 4pm Saturday November 1,

If there are any FT'ers about for a few drinks, or better still dinner, let's try and set that up.

We had a nice evening gathering a year back, and hopefully can catch up with some new and old faces this time around:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8449291

I very foolishly pricelined a hotel and got -

Marriott Denver Airport Gateway Park

Which I NOW learn is TWELVE miles from the airport! How they dare sell that as "Airport" is anyone's guess, but with PL there will be no refunds I can bet.

It seems they have a shuttle bus, or we may rent a car at airport, and hope we do not get lost finding this place.

Anyway, please chime in if you are about. We will not be too zonked after 20 hours on planes as we do this a lot, so can catch up for drinks etc from about 5pm if that suits anyone.

And anyone who might be a AAA member, and might be able to grab us the CO AAA books and pass them on to us, that would be mightily appreciated.

Glen

-------------------------

So far we seem to have a table of 7:

Margoz
ozstamps
Where2next?
PLUSONE
ColoBill1
denverhockeyguy
fort fun

Last edited by ozstamps; Nov 1, 2008 at 5:54 pm
Old Oct 2, 2008, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Ha! Reading more on this remote located hotel I see it is walking distance from Ted's Montana Grill:.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran..._Colorado.html

That turned out to be a pretty decent place for a FT gathering, but no idea how busy it gets Saturdays?

Anyway, just one suggestion .....

Glen
Old Oct 2, 2008, 6:18 pm

I'll be somewhere in Denver doing an orchestral concert. I'm not sure if we have a Saturday evening rehearsal (unfortunately we probably do) but just in case put me down as tentative.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by ozstamps

Which I NOW learn is TWELVE miles from the airport! How they dare sell that as "Airport" is anyone's guess, but with PL there will be no refunds I can bet.

It seems they have a shuttle bus, or we may rent a car at airport, and hope we do not get lost finding this place.
I wouldn't get too mad about the hotel distance. If you can believe it, that Marriott is pretty much at the defacto entrance to the airport at I-70 and Pena Blvd. DIA was built pretty much in the middle of nowhere and only in the past few years have any hotels been built any closer than where you are staying.

You can rent a car if you want, but those rental places are about a mile or two from the terminal and between waiting for the shuttle, getting your paperwork straightened out, and finding your car, you might spend just as much time as you would have just getting a ride to the hotel.

Enjoy your stay!
Old Oct 5, 2008, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

GreatChecko - I know what you mean about the DEN hotels.

You think you are in the next county before the FIRST batch appears.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 11:51 pm
Suspended

Your hotel should have a free airport shuttle. I have stayed at hotels where the old airport used to be and got a free 20 mile ride to my hotel.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 3:55 pm

Programs: 1MM BIS. Former 18-year segment 1K, 1997-2014...now just a distant memory.
Glen: I'll be home that weekend and will plan to attend. Will be great to finally meet you. I'll let those living in Denver comment on a possible place to consider for drinks/dinner. My home is about an hour's drive (55 miles south) of this Denver airport Marriott.

As stated, unless you need it immediately, I wouldn't bother rushing to get a rental car that first evening, as that Marriott has a shuttle. I'd relax and shuttle back for the rental the next morning. I stayed at this Marriott a few years back (in a 1K freebie room) after being stranded overnight at DEN on my way home. Shared a taxi with another strandee and the taxi fare from the terminal to this "airport" Marriott was about $25!

I am an AAA member and will be happy to pick you up a copy of their Colorado tourist book, and hopefully also a Colorado map. Email me if you could use anything else.

Bill
Old Oct 12, 2008, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG
Welcome back to DEN!

Hi Glen and Margo,
I hadn't seen this thread so thanks for the email.

I should be in town, although PLUSONE will likely be away in FRA. It would be great to see you both again!
Old Oct 12, 2008, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Where2next?

I should be in town, although PLUSONE will likely be away in FRA. It would be great to see you both again!
Great!

And thank you both for your help last year, with moving our half dozen boxes and suitcases in DEN when we last had a FT dinner at Ted's Montana Grill - does that sound like an idea for this time around?

Her's one of you guys for your FT snapshot file.

Old Oct 14, 2008, 7:29 am

Programs: UA 2MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG
Ted's near the airport hotels sounds good- that would be convenient for you.

Why don't you suggest a time works for you and let's see which other FTers will be around to join in.

Look forward to seeing you and the other FTers.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 12:58 pm

Programs: 1MM BIS. Former 18-year segment 1K, 1997-2014...now just a distant memory.
Another possible restaurant to consider that appears within walking distance to the airport Marriott is Outback. They offer a number of Aussie beers.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Bill - well spotted.

We are just as happy with either eating place .. whichever the locals prefer.

Where2next? - we'll have been on planes for about 20 hours, so better get some shut eye at sme point - so how does about 7pm sound .. Bill ... you have the longer drive .. will that fit in with your schedule?

Glen
Old Oct 15, 2008, 10:40 pm

Glen: 7PM will be fine for me. The drive up will not be bad on a Saturday evening. Looking forward to it.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 10:01 am

Sorry guys -- just got my rehearsal schedule and Saturday evening is out for me. I might be able to do a lunch if anyone is around -- PM with suggestions.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 1:31 am

I'll be around; count me in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.