FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   CommunityBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/)
-   -   Dinner with Captain Flanagan in Denver on August 28! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz/855045-dinner-captain-flanagan-denver-august-28-a.html)

heffa Aug 20, 2008 10:57 pm

Count me in! I'll never ever pass a visit at my favorite Cool River Cafe (12oz filet mignon NOT butterflied) with my favorite Captain Flanagan.

fozz Aug 21, 2008 12:38 am

I may be able to make it, i'm going to try to juggle my schedule a bit.

pseudoswede Aug 21, 2008 7:37 am

Originally Posted by denverhockeyguy (Post 10235173)
Wow, glad I found this thread. I'll be able to make this! Thursday night is going to be pretty messy though. They are shutting down I25 around this time for Obama's speech... the traffic will easily mess with the rest of the metro area. I'd expect traffic from the airport to Greenwood Village to be much worse than normal.

I-25 will only be closed between 6th Ave and I-70. Most likely won't affect anyone going to the airport via I-225 (and certainly E-470).

As an update to my status: I'm 95% certain I could show up for pre-dinner drinks, but I cannot stay for dinner (as much as I want to!).

denverhockeyguy Aug 21, 2008 9:16 am

E-470 is probably safe, CDOT is recommending people take I-225 to take the long way around the city.

tommy777 Aug 21, 2008 9:21 am

Last day for 7 days advance purchase

Organizer/Randy, I would love to join this event.

Can you please set a time so I can get my tickets today? Like I said earlier, hard to find hotels so returning on the last flight of the day would be my only solution

Thanks!

lucky9876coins Aug 21, 2008 10:37 am

Tommy, we're working on it as we speak. I just sent Randy an email and am in talks with Captain Flanagan and Where2next?. Stay tuned....

pseudoswede Aug 21, 2008 11:19 am

In a sudden turn of events, you can upgrade me from "Out" to "99% Likely" for dinner! :)

Randy Petersen Aug 21, 2008 2:48 pm

Here's The Place and Time

OK, Cool River it is and they have their own Web site if you want to check it out for directions (off I-25 at Bellevue):
www.coolrivercafe.com

(and don't try to get in the middle of my love of their sweet potato hash)

The time is 6:30 (sort of early, sort of late and hopefully just right for everyone here.

I've got a table reserved and it's under "FlyerTalk" - what else?

I look forward to thanking Captain Flanagan for his contributions to the pleasure of flight by FlyerTalkers and as well, welcoming those members of FlyerTalk that i have not have the extreme pleasure of meeting.

tommy777 Aug 21, 2008 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Randy Petersen (Post 10239545)
OK, Cool River it is and they have their own Web site if you want to check it out for directions (off I-25 at Bellevue):
coolrivercafe.com

(and don't try to get in the middle of my love of their sweet potato hash)

The time is 6:30 (sort of early, sort of late and hopefully just right for everyone here.

I've got a table reserved and it's under "FlyerTalk" - what else?

I look forward to thanking Captain Flanagan for his contributions to the pleasure of flight by FlyerTalkers and as well, welcoming those members of FlyerTalk that i have not have the extreme pleasure of meeting.

Wonderful!

I'm hereby confirmed. Look forward to meeting everyone

tommy777 Aug 21, 2008 3:06 pm

On UA909 ORD-DEN and on UA259 on the way back.

FortFun Aug 21, 2008 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Randy Petersen (Post 10239545)
The time is 6:30 (sort of early, sort of late and hopefully just right for everyone here).

So given that the dinner starts at 6:30, what are the chances of people still being around until, say 9 or 9:30? As I mentioned above, the earliest I could possibly make it would be 8:00 (and that's probably overly optimistic given that I teach until 6:15 in Fort Collins and Google Maps says it's 1:15-1:30 down there under normal conditions depending on the route).

As I also mentioned above, I don't mind missing the food, but if I'm going to drive all the way down there I'd like to know it's going to be for more than half an hour or so. :D

If people will likely be cleared out earlier, I guess I'll just have to catch the next opportunity. :)

pseudoswede Aug 21, 2008 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by FortFun (Post 10239677)
I teach until 6:15 in Fort Collins and Google Maps says it's 1:15-1:30 down there under normal conditions depending on the route).

Not to discourage you (because I'm all about the-more-the-merrier philosophy), but given that I-25 will be shutdown in downtown Denver, that drive could easily turn into 2 hours (if not more). You COULD take E-470 all the way down to the southern end of I-25.

I say you just cancel class that day. :D

Where2next? Aug 21, 2008 3:28 pm

So given that the dinner starts at 6:30, what are the chances of people still being around until, say 9 or 9:30?

Hi FF,
Why don't you give me a call before you head down?- I'll PM you my cell number. It would be nice to see you again.

heffa Aug 21, 2008 3:40 pm

As I also mentioned above, I don't mind missing the food, but if I'm going to drive all the way down there I'd like to know it's going to be for more than half an hour or so. :D

I'll probably there at that time or later. I'll most probably stay at the nearby Marriott Tech Center and usually not in bed before 12 AM.

FortFun Aug 21, 2008 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by pseudoswede (Post 10239744)
You COULD take E-470 all the way down to the southern end of I-25. I say you just cancel class that day. :D

LOL, if it wasn't so early in the semester I'd think about it. ;)
I actually was planning to do the E470 route (that's the 1:30 version according to Google), just in case.

Originally Posted by Where2next? (Post 10239757)
Hi FF,
Why don't you give me a call before you head down?- I'll PM you my cell number. It would be nice to see you again.

Cool! Thanks very much.

Originally Posted by heffa (Post 10239811)
I'll probably there at that time or later. I'll most probably stay at the nearby Marriott Tech Center and usually not in bed before 12 AM.

Sounds promising. ;) Thanks all.