FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   CommunityBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/)
-   -   Dinner with Captain Flanagan in Denver on August 28! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz/855045-dinner-captain-flanagan-denver-august-28-a.html)

lucky9876coins Aug 13, 2008 1:35 am

Dinner with Captain Flanagan in Denver on August 28!

That's right, the one and only Captain Flanagan will be in Denver on a layover for 24 hours on August 28, and would love to have dinner with FlyerTalkers. I'm sure almost everyone, at least those familiar with UA, know who I'm talking about. If you don't, check out this thread.

Dinner will be at 6:30PM at Cool River. Please see this post for more details.

So, who's interested in having dinner with the Captain on the 28th?:)

Likely attending:
Bonehead
Captain Flanagan
chitownflyer
denverhockeyguy
DIAFlyer +1
dimramon
FortFun
heffa
husker267
OHNOMRBILL
Peakview
PlusOne
pseudoswede
Randy Petersen
tommy777
Where2next?

FortFun Aug 13, 2008 1:48 am

Sounds like fun! ^ ^

The earliest I could be down there is likely 8 or 8:30 (assuming at least pseudo-normal traffic patterns), but I'm happy to show up late as well if things start before that.

Being on Thursday that will be the biggest convention day (nomination acceptance), so might be a bit of a wild ride. But at least they'll be over at Invesco by then. :D

boxo Aug 13, 2008 2:02 am

Oh man! Off to check DEN availability...

Ewww, ~$300 from SJC. :(

alliance Aug 13, 2008 2:58 am

If you think finding a table will be hard try finding a hotel room.

UAPremierGuy Aug 13, 2008 3:40 am

LOL, as a ASE/IAD based flyer, I'd love to attend. Given this is the busy Labor Day weekend, any chance he'd be in DEN longer/ a different day? He resembles why I stick with UA -- safe, and experienced captains. Not to mention customer-service oriented.

Benny8444 Aug 13, 2008 6:03 am

I would love to go but I will be in LA

It looks like a cool dinner though

Where2next? Aug 13, 2008 7:10 am

Downtown Denver on a summer evening is great, but with the DNC in town, that may be tough.

Let's see who will be able to make it and we'll choose a locale next week:)

iluv2fly Aug 13, 2008 7:17 am

Cool. I'll be in DEN for the convention (and I even have a hotel ;) ) so if my "political" activities don't get in the way, I shall certainly be there.

NB: This is no way implies as to what my political affiliation is as I do go to both conventions. So quit rolling your eyes...

meducate Aug 13, 2008 8:06 am

Originally Posted by iluv2fly (Post 10194603)
Cool. I'll be in DEN for the convention (and I even have a hotel ;) ) so if my "political" activities don't get in the way, I shall certainly be there.

NB: This is no way implies as to what my political affiliation is as I do go to both conventions. So quit rolling your eyes...

How democratic of you :p

notquiteaff Aug 13, 2008 8:21 am

Originally Posted by iluv2fly (Post 10194603)

Joe Lieberman is on FT? :D

Anyway, while I'd love to attend, a Thursday and right before labor day unfortunately isn't going to work. :( I trust that someone (Lucky?) will post a report.

hobo13 Aug 13, 2008 8:38 am

Dangit, I don't get into DEN until Friday evening..... but at least the donkey's should be packing up by then! :)

PanHam Aug 13, 2008 8:39 am

I would be very interested . . . .

Pat89339 Aug 13, 2008 8:42 am

I'd love to have dinner with the Captain, but the date doesn't work for me. :(

lucky9876coins Aug 13, 2008 9:36 am

To be perfectly clear, I won't be able to attend the dinner, I'm just semi-setting it up. Where2next? is the go to person on this one for suggestions, since she's the local and the one that's actually going to be there.

That being said, for those that miss one, there's a chance (a chance, no guarantee;)) that there might be another opportunity with the Captain in September.

iluv2fly, let me guess, someone's dragging you again this year?:p

PanHam, you're interested as in will be looking for fares, or are in town anyway?

Shall I add both of ya to the "likely" list?:)

PanHam Aug 13, 2008 3:27 pm

Lookin' fo' fares. Oh yeah.

sfskier Aug 14, 2008 10:42 am

Planned to be out of town for the convention months ago (not a reflection of my political standing, just hate crowds) so won't be here for it, but would have enjoyed meeting the Captain and the DEN FTers (Is that the name of a band? Uh, no sorry that would be Tenille).

jackal Aug 14, 2008 11:15 pm

I do need about a 3,000-mile mileage run on AS to make MVPG based on my current plans, but $791 round-trip is a bit out of reach at this time (not to mention that the cpm of that trip runs against every mileage-running bone in my body!). My regards to Captain Flanagan, whom I have heard much about but have never had the pleasure of meeting!

Randy Petersen Aug 16, 2008 9:14 am

I've made a few changes and think i can thank the Captain on behalf of all the FlyerTalkers he has likely flown around.

Here's an idea. Let's say we try to entertain the Captain and members of FT at Cool River Cafe in the Denver Tech Center area (off I-25 and Bellevue) which will put us out of harms way for most of the DNC in the downtown area. If this is agreeable, I'll pick up the tab for the entire evening and we'll make this a sort of mini-Do.

boxo Aug 16, 2008 2:27 pm

Wow, not only am I missing out on an opportunity to meet Captain Denny, I also miss meeting Randy. (sighhhhh)

:D Maybe DL and UA will catfight it out again and I can book a $110 fare to DEN. Miracles DO happen.

kkjay77 Aug 16, 2008 2:37 pm

OK... I'll do my best to attend this.
Gotta find the reasonable fare to DEN though.

FortFun Aug 16, 2008 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Randy Petersen (Post 10211478)
Let's say we try to entertain the Captain and members of FT at Cool River Cafe in the Denver Tech Center area (off I-25 and Bellevue) which will put us out of harms way for most of the DNC in the downtown area.

Sounds great! ^

A DEN Do to remember, I'll be there. :D

travelsavant Aug 16, 2008 2:53 pm

An opportunity to meet 2 FT legends and no cheap flights, no cheap rooms, so no Captain and no Randy this time for me. Rats! Maybe Lucky can pull off the 2nd Capt. Flanagan dinner do in September?

lucky9876coins Aug 16, 2008 5:19 pm

Randy, you're the best! If this doesn't get people to come, I don't know what would....

Really bummed that I won't be able to make it, although like I said there's a possibility there might be another sighting in late September.;)

jason8612 Aug 17, 2008 7:52 pm

Sounds tempting and I might be in the DEN area at that time....
Just wish AA KUP fares were cheap to DEN.

SkiAdcock Aug 18, 2008 3:46 pm

Well color me totally bummed. A chance to meet Captain Flanagan AND see Randy? That would be way cool, but I'm stuck in LA preparing for a major trade show. If by chance something changes & I can sneak away I'll post. But for now put me in the wish I could be there category.

Cheers.

pseudoswede Aug 18, 2008 3:55 pm

Hmmm...

Since I work in downtown, my boss has graciously allowed me to work from home that week. To boot, I live about 10 minutes from Cool River. However, I'm not sure if I can sneak out of the house for such an event. Maybe I'll brave the traffic, go into the office that day, and stop by on my way home for a drink.

Edited to add: I could work from another company location in the southern 'burbs that day... Oh, the possibilities.

tommy777 Aug 19, 2008 3:45 pm

I would love to join this event! Is it possible to find a place closer to the airport or/and have dinner early. Have a meeting on the 29th and have to be on the 942PM back to ORD

tommy777 Aug 20, 2008 12:43 pm

Any news? 7 days in advance purchase is dangerously close..

iluv2fly Aug 20, 2008 7:49 pm

I mixed up some dates - I will be in DEN early in the week but have to leave Wednesday night to be back in Chicago for my trip to CDG on Thursday evening.

I'm sorry that I won't get the chance to dine with two great people - Captain Denny and His Highness Randy. A unique opportunity! ^

Have fun!

denverhockeyguy Aug 20, 2008 8:34 pm

Wow, glad I found this thread. I'll be able to make this! Thursday night is going to be pretty messy though. They are shutting down I25 around this time for Obama's speech... the traffic will easily mess with the rest of the metro area. I'd expect traffic from the airport to Greenwood Village to be much worse than normal.

heffa Aug 20, 2008 10:57 pm

Count me in! I'll never ever pass a visit at my favorite Cool River Cafe (12oz filet mignon NOT butterflied) with my favorite Captain Flanagan.

fozz Aug 21, 2008 12:38 am

I may be able to make it, i'm going to try to juggle my schedule a bit.

pseudoswede Aug 21, 2008 7:37 am

Originally Posted by denverhockeyguy (Post 10235173)
Wow, glad I found this thread. I'll be able to make this! Thursday night is going to be pretty messy though. They are shutting down I25 around this time for Obama's speech... the traffic will easily mess with the rest of the metro area. I'd expect traffic from the airport to Greenwood Village to be much worse than normal.

I-25 will only be closed between 6th Ave and I-70. Most likely won't affect anyone going to the airport via I-225 (and certainly E-470).

As an update to my status: I'm 95% certain I could show up for pre-dinner drinks, but I cannot stay for dinner (as much as I want to!).

denverhockeyguy Aug 21, 2008 9:16 am

E-470 is probably safe, CDOT is recommending people take I-225 to take the long way around the city.

tommy777 Aug 21, 2008 9:21 am

Last day for 7 days advance purchase

Organizer/Randy, I would love to join this event.

Can you please set a time so I can get my tickets today? Like I said earlier, hard to find hotels so returning on the last flight of the day would be my only solution

Thanks!

lucky9876coins Aug 21, 2008 10:37 am

Tommy, we're working on it as we speak. I just sent Randy an email and am in talks with Captain Flanagan and Where2next?. Stay tuned....

pseudoswede Aug 21, 2008 11:19 am

In a sudden turn of events, you can upgrade me from "Out" to "99% Likely" for dinner! :)

Randy Petersen Aug 21, 2008 2:48 pm

Here's The Place and Time

OK, Cool River it is and they have their own Web site if you want to check it out for directions (off I-25 at Bellevue):
www.coolrivercafe.com

(and don't try to get in the middle of my love of their sweet potato hash)

The time is 6:30 (sort of early, sort of late and hopefully just right for everyone here.

I've got a table reserved and it's under "FlyerTalk" - what else?

I look forward to thanking Captain Flanagan for his contributions to the pleasure of flight by FlyerTalkers and as well, welcoming those members of FlyerTalk that i have not have the extreme pleasure of meeting.

tommy777 Aug 21, 2008 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Randy Petersen (Post 10239545)
OK, Cool River it is and they have their own Web site if you want to check it out for directions (off I-25 at Bellevue):
coolrivercafe.com

(and don't try to get in the middle of my love of their sweet potato hash)

The time is 6:30 (sort of early, sort of late and hopefully just right for everyone here.

I've got a table reserved and it's under "FlyerTalk" - what else?

I look forward to thanking Captain Flanagan for his contributions to the pleasure of flight by FlyerTalkers and as well, welcoming those members of FlyerTalk that i have not have the extreme pleasure of meeting.

Wonderful!

I'm hereby confirmed. Look forward to meeting everyone

tommy777 Aug 21, 2008 3:06 pm

On UA909 ORD-DEN and on UA259 on the way back.