Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

What was it that hooked you into the FlyerTalk Community?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What was it that hooked you into the FlyerTalk Community?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2008, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I lurked for a long time before I worked up the nerve to post. Shortly after I began posting, I worked up the nerve to attend my first FT gathering: A dinner at Siam near LAX. I met both SkiAdcock and Delacpa that night.

I consider Flyertalkers amongst some of my closest friends.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 4:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I joined after an article about the cheap tickets to Iceland (I think), but didn't post much until my job changed. Once I started to get to know some people, I became addicted.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.9MM
Originally Posted by Punki
For those of you have become hooked, what was it that attracted you and inspired you to stick around?
Good information attracted me when I was lurking in 1999. Before Flyertalk I earned 3,000 miles/month; since Flyertalk I earn 55,000 miles/month.

What hooked me was reading about Pudding Guy, Latin Pass, Baht Run, Goldpoints/Valuemags, mistake fares....
Old Apr 26, 2008, 11:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
You know, PDX_Roy, people like you just amaze me. How do you exercise such restraint? OBTW, congratulations on joining the 100 Post Club. How often do you come to FT and just read?

I can only wish for that type of self control. I work hard to keep my post count under 3 per day, and it looks like I am slipping. I feel like a totally helpless junkie.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Punki

I can only wish for that type of self control. I work hard to keep my post count under 3 per day, and it looks like I am slipping. I feel like a totally helpless junkie.
punki, I fully agree with you
Old Apr 27, 2008, 10:56 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Oops, I just realized that I forgot to post what hooked me.

I found FT before it really was FT. I search for "frequent flyer miles" and got routed to Inside Flyer that had a back door into a discussion group. I was looking for advice for taking my family on a trip to Malaga and Mallorca. I had quite a few miles at the time but really had no idea how to go about using them.

The people I found here (many of whom are still around today) not only had great ideas, but were also so smart and so funny that I couldn't break myself away from their company.

I really think the amazing people who hang out here are the key.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.9MM
Punki, my post count would probably be about 20 if I hadn't needed access to coupon connection. Hopefully I can discover an original benefit someday to share with fellow Flyertalkers

I'll see you again at the SEA DO. I want to join the group taking the ferry to lunch -- how is that plan progressing?
Old Apr 28, 2008, 1:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
it's all about the people--some amazing and talented and friendly people here. Even the "others" provide additional entertainment value and challenge the system. As someone who didn't particularly care for people (more into wildlife), this was a great way to break down the barriers and misconceptions and meet some truly amazing people. Of course the first FTer I met was Rudi and his lovely wife Gisela so that went a long way to dispelling any myths about the crazies on the internet. Such a gracious and travelled couple.

Then there was the original PiP (who could forget that) and Asheville, Dusseldorf, Vancouver, Montreal, Toronto and Tucson and individual meetings in Ottawa, London, Paris, Chicago, Hong Kong, Beijing, New York, San Francisco etc etc. Then there were unforgettable adventures to Wengen, St. Gallen and Zurich with Rudi and Gisela and the quiet dinners and Opus One with Catman in New York and great local fare with Old Gold and Cathy in Tucson!

Last week was my first Freddies and on it goes!

Who can believe 10 years can blow by so quickly. Looking forward to the next couple of decades to see where FT and its members are.^
Old May 2, 2008, 1:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks, BlondeBomber.

I can remember way back in the beginning how disappointed I was to learn that you were a man. Initially, I thought you were one of the very few women on the board. Then I was surprised when I learned that Tropical Flyer was a woman.

Did you forget Valencia? Now that was an amazing celebration that would be well worth repreating. ^
Old May 2, 2008, 2:37 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
I couldn't forget Las Fallas at Valencia (and I have the pictures and sounds to prove it!), just thought I had written it down--old age I guess.

Probably something else I am forgetting too!

PS. you weren't the only one to infer that BlondeBomber was female--some male hetero FTers started hitting on me (as some FTers are want to do) until I set them straight . . .
Old May 4, 2008, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Starwood/Marriott, Hilton, IHG
It's All About The People

Originally Posted by wharvey
I can also say that the positive response when I first posted was great... I made a major boo boo and posted the same question in MilesBuzz and TravelBuzz and I was not berated by the "old timers".... that treatment probably kept me around....
William's post is right on target because the tone has definitely gone down (or should I say up?) lately. I found FT through Inside Flyer when there was a double point promo for Diner's Club way back when. I became hooked on FT after meeting some great people. I 'blame' Catman for getting me hooked on Do's but it really comes down to a lot of people; folks that worked hard to host some really nice events. Yeah, the mileage and upgrade stuff has been great, but it's the community that keeps me coming back. I fly on my own nickel now so it has to be worthwhile to do it.

I have met some great people at the number of events I have been to and look forward to meeting many more at the upcoming events I am locked into. I will always remember the March FRA MiniDo and meeting someone who has become very special in my life. That's what keeps me hooked into FT.
Old May 8, 2008, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Well, Punki, it was YOU! And Rudi! And Randy! And all the folks at the Top of the Mark in the fall of 1999, our first DO. You talked us into attending the PIP and we have not looked back. I remember walking into the bar at the Mark and asking about a group being there somewhere. The hostess cracked up and asked if some Swiss guy in full regalia would be part of my party. Oh, yes, indeed! Something to see for certain! Of all the DO's, the PIP was the best. Yet another thank you to all the planners! And a special thanks to Randy who showed up with gifts galore, completely unexpected. Remember vying for upgrades at Hilton? Poor desk clerk was unglued.

I had been on trip.com prior to Flyertalk but that site did not require PINS and people abused the site so badly that I was looking for a more reliable travel source. Flyertalk amazed me because I actually got to meet people. There was a trust and camaraderie that could not be found elsewhere.
Old May 8, 2008, 3:30 pm

I came to FT at first because I was then taking NW every week from BNA to MSP and back, and having been delayed getting to work once by NW's pilot staffing issues, I wondered if FT might be a good source of inside information that I could use to my advantage in such situations. I've since met a few of you and spent hundreds of hours debating, joking and otherwise shooting the breeze with many more. What keeps me here more than anything is probably the opportunity to run my mouth at length with others who enjoy doing the same--so the "Talk" part of FlyerTalk is as important to me as the flying.
Old May 8, 2008, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus
Honestly, it was the type of people on here.

I'm a business traveler, and it's interesting communicating with other frequent fliers who travel for business. We have a lot of similarities so it's a great place to have a sound board for ideas and various thoughts.

So basically a like-minded community of people to interact with.
That, and the MR forum.
Old May 9, 2008, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I was attracted by the business travel advice. But then I was hooked by the people and the ability to not only learn, but to help others.

The other key is Flyertalk's diversity. As a business traveler, I'm not really that interested in mileage runs and mistake fares, But I am interested in keeping on top of what all the good hotels, bars and restaurants there are in Timbuktu and there are others here who have the same interests. That is what continually interests me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.